Author Topic: Cracked sunroof surround  (Read 55667 times)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Re: Cracked sunroof surround
« Reply #100 on: 28 July 2020, 07:32 »
Steel (and metals with a reasonably high melting point) doesn't expand/contract to any measurable degree under the Ambient temperature range. The expansion/contraction is tiny inside an engine block between hot and cold (a difference of hundreds of degrees). The difference in expansion rates is a matter of practically none (for the steel) and very considerable (for the plastic surround). That surround should be made from pressed aluminium or be absolutely gummed down in all places to prevent expansion.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline ADC74

• Not said much yet
« Reply #101 on: 11 August 2020, 22:07 »
Update...
Well I'm now the proud owner of a 20 plate GTI.
Managed to get the colour I originally wanted, isacc blue, & it is simply a stunning colour that really suits the mk7.5 GTI.
Happily, this car doesn't have the pan roof but I'm definitely missing the dynaudio....wasn't able to spec this as the car had already been built.
Hopefully those who have had or are having issues with their pan roofs manage to get a better outcome than I did

Offline CP15FUN

• Not said much yet
« Reply #102 on: 13 August 2020, 16:39 »
SORTED!

Got my TCR back from the dealer today with the sunroof surround having been replaced.  I dropped it off at the body repair centre on Monday and got a confidence boost just walking into the reception.  It was like no other bodyshop I've been to before and the immense 'Aston Martin approved' sign, with a similar one from Bentley, showed that it was a bit special.

The guy who booked the car in said it was third Golf sunroof surround they had to replace (great, they'd had a couple to practice on!) and it was a design fault.  He confirmed that it was a complex job, taking two people a full day to complete.

The VW dealer provided a courtesy car and I walked the short distance there from the bodyshop to be given an eTSI with less than 300 miles on the clock.  As this is a GTi site, I won't comment beyond saying I found the Mk8 digital cabin too digital! Too much time with eyes off the road and only one of the instrument view options left the rev counter on show.

When I picked the TCR from the dealer and there is no sign that any work has been done on it, apart from the two cracks in the sunroof surround having gone.  Checked the surrounding electrical gizmos and all are working.  Given the quality of the bodyshop, I'd be surprised to find any leaks or other issues.  Whether has anything has been done to make a recurrence unlikely, only time will tell....

Apart from the sunroof surround, the TCR has been a great car.  For those who need the safety blanket of four-wheel drive or the reassurance of seeing so many other people making the same choice, the R is the right car is for them.  For those who want some raw fun, it has to be the TCR, especially with the traction control off. 

Now, can the Skoda dealer do as good a job with my vRS estate's faulty sunroof under warranty?

Offline Pretzel

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #103 on: 13 August 2020, 17:24 »
SORTED!
The guy who booked the car in said it was third Golf sunroof surround they had to replace (great, they'd had a couple to practice on!) and it was a design fault.  He confirmed that it was a complex job, taking two people a full day to complete.

Pleased to hear its been sorted properly. Question is, have VW solved the design fault during production?

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #104 on: 13 August 2020, 17:40 »
SORTED!

Pleased to hear its been sorted properly. Question is, have VW solved the design fault during production?

The MK8 has a different layout with the problem area now gone.

CP15FUN - glad it's all done, mine due in a few weeks.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline golf steve

• Just got here
« Reply #105 on: 14 August 2020, 08:05 »
Hi, pleased to hear most are getting this resolved with dealer.  Unfortunately my dealer is not and I am now going through VWUK. 
Appreciate the YouTube video and VW report.  This will all help with the resolution of this.

Next will be the car ombudsman.  Can’t believe the stupidity of this dealer.

I have a PhD in material science and can verify monkeyhanger assessment of the issue. Plastic expands 3-5 times more than metal and lower thermal conductivity adds to the problem.

Offline CP15FUN

• Not said much yet
« Reply #106 on: 16 August 2020, 10:11 »
Hope those who are still waiting get the fault fixed soon.

Dealers shouldn't refuse to treat this as a warranty job as it is VW UK, not the dealer, that ultimate pays.  In my case the dealer simply said they would refer the decision to VW as they hadn't experienced the fault before.  VW came in less that a fortnight saying yes, obviously realising that it's a design fault.

The Mk8 sunroof does not have a surround, which will put an end to the problem.  Not a lot of help to those of us with pre-Mk8 cars.

Offline atlasgrey

• Not said much yet
« Reply #107 on: 17 August 2020, 23:04 »
Got mine back last week, done under warranty with no quibbles and that was through my local dealer and not the one I bought from (further away). All seems ok so far. Was with them for 4 days. Just a Leon courtesy car, but not commuting anywhere at the mo. Was glad to get the car back and have some poke
Corrado VR6, Mk2 Gti 8v, Up Gti (sold), Mk7.5 Gti TCR

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #108 on: 18 August 2020, 09:11 »
Great news! Helps take the edge off my nerves with all these good results.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #109 on: 06 September 2020, 17:23 »
Mine goes in to be fixed tomorrow, despite what I've said I'm a bit nervy now. Will be keeping everything crossed. 3 days it's booked in for, I wonder what I'll get for a loan car?
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.