Author Topic: How much do you think my GTI is worth?  (Read 4708 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: How much do you think my GTI is worth?
« Reply #10 on: 25 February 2020, 09:06 »
It's funny how mods are viewed, from my perspective they've improved the car and add value but to a certain buyer they don't and devalue it!

For a dealer its a liability because it decreases the potential customers.

For a buyer, you'd want to know if any changes were done properly, that having performance enhancements didn't mean you'd tracked it every weekend plus the extra grief of insurance becoming a problem.

I once bough a car which was unknowingly non-standard (not performance modified, just cosmetically). I wrote it off inside of 2 weeks and then when it came to the insurance claim I was told "you didn't tell us about the modifications" - how was I supposed to know?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 25 February 2020, 11:48 »
If you're not in a rush to sell someone will buy it. They seem like sensible mods and will save someone a stack of money if they were to do it themselves. I've never had a problem selling a modified car as I always keep receipts of the work done so the buyer can see everything has been done professionally.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 25 February 2020, 14:19 »
Mods are indeed a strange thing. We all seem to like doing a few bits but when it comes to buying, everyone wants to buy a standard car. I personally would be put off at a dealer, but if I was buying privately and could meet the person selling then I think it would be less of an issue.

However, I did buy my Ducati knowing it had a few mods on which seemed ok. I actually didn't realise how much stuff the previous owner had done but it really sets it apart from other similar bikes and looks a lot better for parts that have been added. Even the Ducati dealer hadn't listed half the stuff on the advert.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline BobbyT

• I live here
  • Housemusic aint for everybody,only the sexy people
« Reply #13 on: 25 February 2020, 16:34 »
I've sold modded cars in the past and got good money for them. I do look after cars and they always look spot on. I service them well and keep every receipt. If you sell to a car enthusiast who is looking to mod they you'll be fine.

If not you could always return to stock/near stock and sell the parts.
BW3 2018... 7.5 Oryx White R Estate, Black mirrors and rails, Dynaudio, Rear Cam, Climate Screen, 90% tints

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 25 February 2020, 19:34 »
OP-I'd be inclined to keep the car. You obviously like it and have made it into the car you want.
Very soon your 6 month old will be able to climb in the back and do the belt up him/herself.
We had 2 three door cars ( an E46 330 coupe and a fiat seicento) until we had our second child. Gets a bit more tricky then.
If I was buying, I'd avoid modified cars because, in my view, a modified car is more likely to have had a hard life.

2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 26 February 2020, 07:55 »
Yusee makes a good point. They soon grow up and the amount of time that you might struggle a bit is relativity short. I'm amazed by the amount of new parents that go out and buy a Zafira as soon as their first child is ordered.

Having said that, whilst having ordinary cars when our kids were small, now that they are teenagers, my 'car' is a T6 Caravelle.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline rajb

• Here all the time
« Reply #16 on: 26 February 2020, 08:50 »
I've had coupe's with my kids and still do. It can be a pain but it isn't the end of the world and as others have said they do grow up fast. As you have amore family orientated car then just for the time being use that more and whoever doesn't need to take the little one out can use the GTI.

As for the modded car debate. It is a strange one. I've bought standard cars and modded them to the hilt as well as buying modded ones to save on the outlay. Modded cars do tend to reduce the target market as a lot of people will shy away from them, as they feel they will have been driven hard or not looked after. My thoughts are the opposite, as most who are willing to spend the kind of money we do on modding them tend to pamper them more than those that just buy them on finance or whatever and chop them in on a regular basis. When you know you don't really own it and are planning to hand it back treat them far worse.

Also, if the mods are good quality then I'd prefer to purchase that knowing I can save on mods I know I would have done myself anyway.

If you are definitely wanting to sell it then you are better off removing the more obvious mods like wheels and intake etc. Even springs can be swapped out for not much money but most wouldn't realise they were fitted. Part-Ex the wheels with someone and same with the intake/elbow. Any other quick win mods do the same. It will put slightly more money in your pocket and increase the market for you.

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 26 February 2020, 11:15 »

As for the modded car debate. It is a strange one. I've bought standard cars and modded them to the hilt as well as buying modded ones to save on the outlay. Modded cars do tend to  My thoughts are the opposite, as most who are willing to spend the kind of money we do on modding them tend to pamper them more than those that just buy them on finance or whatever and chop them in on a regular basis. When you know you don't really own it and are planning to hand it back treat them far worse.

This.

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 26 February 2020, 11:53 »
It's funny how mods are viewed, from my perspective they've improved the car and add value but to a certain buyer they don't and devalue it!

I have never and would never buy a modded car as it will most likely have been driven hard, otherwise what is the point of modding it. That is what any business buying it would think as well. Common knowledge is that modifications de value any car quite considerably sadly.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 26 February 2020, 15:44 »

I have never and would never buy a modded car as it will most likely have been driven hard, otherwise what is the point of modding it. That is what any business buying it would think as well. Common knowledge is that modifications de value any car quite considerably sadly.

I get what you are saying but I think some people change parts just for the visual benefit. For instance, does changing the standard wheels mean the car will be driven hard? Does specifying the 19 OEM wheels mean the car will be driven hard? No evidence to suggest either would be true.

Fairly sure Watts had a number of mods including a short shifter but from his forum posts, I imagine it was driven fairly normally.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey