Author Topic: New gti owner in the northwest  (Read 1748 times)

Offline daveyc79

• Just got here
New gti owner in the northwest
« on: 06 September 2016, 11:32 »
Morning all, thought I'd sign up here since picking up my 2015 golf gti, 5dr,reflex silver,dsg with nav,checked interior and 18" monzas. Recently sold my 400bhp mk2 focus rs which I loved but decided I wanted something newer and more useable which flew under the radar and wasn't heavily targeted by thieves and I feel I've found the perfect car in the mk7 gti. Ok its nowhere near as quick as the focus, nor is it as extreme looking but it excels in every other way. It's my first experience of a dsg and I bloody love it, build quality is in a different leauge and being almost 37 I feel the car suits my age more. The ammount of Tech is a revelation after the focus, my previous impreza and the lotus I had before that. Would have considered an r but after all the thefts I decided id be in a similar position as i was with the focus plus i wanted something quick where i could really use all the power when given chance. I've got to know the car and had some fun down the lanes in the lakes last weekend, full manual and sport mode gave me a real feel for the car and it went well and felt really composed especially keeping 2 hands on the wheel due to using the paddles I honestly believe I could have stuck with the rs as i felt so confident at speed. The more I drive it the more I seem to gel with it. Done the modding thing so gonna try to keep this car totally standard and enjoy it for what it is as its pretty impressive out of the box

Dave

Offline The ANT

• Here all the time
Re: New gti owner in the northwest
« Reply #1 on: 06 September 2016, 12:01 »
A focus ain't a cossie at least, a bloke i know's brother in law went to Blackpool for the day, came back to the sapphire cosworth and the engine had been stolen from it,  that was in the early nineties.
A proper rs was born in motorsport (that last happened in 1996), at least you have a proper gti now.
Suffering from a severe and unforgiving case of GTItis

Offline daveyc79

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 06 September 2016, 20:38 »
To be fair the focus is a great car and to get the golf going anywhere near as quick would take a few ££££s but the rs feels so dated in comparison. The focus are getting nicked all the time although apart from the odd isolated incident its mostly in Brum, London and Essex but its not nice whereas I'm enjoying using the golf no matter where I'm going. I don't give it a second thought when I park it up although I'm as cautious as possible to avoid carpark damage etc. So far I'm well impressed and I look forward to seeing how the mk8 turns out

Offline The ANT

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 06 September 2016, 21:29 »
I never said they weren't a good car but in my opinion its not an rs.
Suffering from a severe and unforgiving case of GTItis

Offline daveyc79

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 07 September 2016, 15:40 »
Yeah I get what you're saying and its an opinion shared by many of the rs owners club. It's pretty good for a Volvo with power going to the wrong wheels. It feels really dated in comparison to the golf and I was unsure whether or not I really wanted to let the focus go. Don't miss it one bit tbh as the gti is more than worthy to replace it and has exceeded all my expectations so far