Author Topic: INFO Mk3 Engine Conversion FAQ (All questions and answers here)  (Read 97611 times)

Offline bored_Welsh_lad

• I live here
Re: Mk3 Engine Conversion FAQ (All questons and answers here)
« Reply #50 on: 10 September 2009, 11:56 »
could i but g60 head up onto my 2.0 8v bottom end :evil:

why bother.. if your looking at the 8v modified without the charger as in previous posts, look at getting a x-flow head off a mk4 and run itb's
Mk3 Golf Gti:Full Milltek system and Decat,K&N filter,mk2 Cam,-1.5 degree camber shims, borbet a's, toyo proxies,hot tuning coils, brembo vented discs, greenstuff pads...Soon to have Eaton Power

mk3 16v 5dr Gti,mintex extreme pads,drilled/grooved discs,lowered,cat back powerflow system,omp panel filter with modified airbox,debadged grill, started prep for spraying, lots to come :D

Bumper Vents :D

Offline bored_Welsh_lad

• I live here
« Reply #51 on: 10 September 2009, 12:04 »
Those electric "superchargers" slow your car down if anything.

Charged 8v engine (which will need work done to take charger) 160-180bhp

Charged VR6 engine (that can have it bolted on, no internal worked needed) 250-300bhp (and a better sound)

not true mike, the only realistic 8v we have to go off is the one that was built by alldubs for boxman.. this was a load of bullsh!t.. he was running lowered compression with a standard pulley which was not needed, running a standard ecu which causes major issues as it cant handle boost, running 440cc injectors which were overkill and running an m45 like myself.. which is as you say only suitable up to 180-200 brake.. the turbo boys out in america are hitting 300 brake on standard internals and an m62/m90 application should be able to provide the boost levels required to see high power..

Boxmans car is quoted as seeing 10psi on a standard pulley, this is bollucks, the 10psi is a backfill of pressure as the head on the 8v chokes at 5k and thus the boost builds up.. the issues with the conversion to see bigger power mean sorting out the exhaust manifold and the head.. a decent flowing head and manifold will open up the car to seeing much better power.

Discussions with nando recently have seen 8v testing also seeing much better power from a decent cam setup.. so if your really keen on doing the conversion to see big power i would say..

start with a minimum of an m62 if you want over 200 brake.. look to have your head ported and pick up a cam, not too lairy though as boosted applications dont like them.. anything over 5psi will require the compression lowering.. to do this you can run stacked headgaskets.. before people kick off about this.. wolf aka Toyotec is seeing big numbers on his valver on stacked hg's and has had no issues.. he even run the same headbolts as he removed.

hope this helps.. btw i am in the middle of doing this conversion, my car is going down to nando the end of the month to have the brackets fabbed up to fit the eaton..

any questions please fire away with regards the eaton conversion...
Mk3 Golf Gti:Full Milltek system and Decat,K&N filter,mk2 Cam,-1.5 degree camber shims, borbet a's, toyo proxies,hot tuning coils, brembo vented discs, greenstuff pads...Soon to have Eaton Power

mk3 16v 5dr Gti,mintex extreme pads,drilled/grooved discs,lowered,cat back powerflow system,omp panel filter with modified airbox,debadged grill, started prep for spraying, lots to come :D

Bumper Vents :D

nick_thomas

« Reply #52 on: 16 September 2009, 19:13 »
Sorry guys, to back-track a shade...

Are the VR/16v exhausts the same diameter?

If so, would I notice any gain running a 16v/VR exhaust on my 8v (once adapted)?

Offline diver705

• Not said much yet
« Reply #53 on: 17 September 2009, 15:30 »
Hi people. Bit confused ive got a mk3 gti 8v and want to know will 1.8 20v head fit my bottom end code agg. :evil:

Offline satys

• Not said much yet
Re: INFO Mk3 Engine Conversion FAQ (All questions and answers here)
« Reply #54 on: 03 September 2010, 16:11 »
Need some info guys, i have a 1.8 CL and a friend of mine is doing a VR conversion on his 8v GTI. I have been offered the lump for free but was wondering after reading this thread what exactly would i need to do the conversion????

My dub has just had a full respray so would like to keep it rather then sell it.

Offline AdamBeevers

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #55 on: 01 October 2010, 20:58 »
yo im doing a 16v engine conversion from a mk3 16v with abs, and putting into a 1.4 without any abs, and wandering how hard a job it is moving it all over, or can it just be disconnected and would that be easier? james.

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #56 on: 22 November 2010, 22:23 »
Can I point out that for converting a mk3 to use a hydro clutch all that is needed is the clutch cylinder and the white clip that fits on the back of the pedal? As well as ofcourse the pipe that runs to the brake fluid reservoir.

No need to change pedal box over.

Offline Dan_GTi8v

• I live here
« Reply #57 on: 01 December 2010, 12:46 »
Indeed all mk3 pedal boxes are the same, just need the master and slave cylinders + lines and clips as said above :)
20vt conversion, sig pic coming soon!

Build thread http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=167291.0

Offline Dan_GTi8v

• I live here
« Reply #58 on: 01 December 2010, 12:55 »
Also worth mentioning is the 02j box from a 1.8t mk4 will bolt straight into a mk3

and here is a link to a wiring guide, its based on a mk2 but its the same fuse box on a mk3 so its pretty much the same. Theres a pin which might be slightly different but I forget which one, its mentioned on page 3 of the thread

http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=205887
20vt conversion, sig pic coming soon!

Build thread http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=167291.0

Offline N900 MJT

• I live here
« Reply #59 on: 08 September 2011, 09:17 »
Digging this one back up but i just saw the above quote

Can I point out that for converting a mk3 to use a hydro clutch all that is needed is the clutch cylinder and the white clip that fits on the back of the pedal? As well as ofcourse the pipe that runs to the brake fluid reservoir.

No need to change pedal box over.
]
If i had the MK4 with all parts could i take the clutch parts from that and add it to the mk3?

Cheers