Author Topic: Golf my 8. Delayed till 2020  (Read 3639 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Golf my 8. Delayed till 2020
« Reply #1 on: 14 March 2019, 10:37 »
If that's true then wow....
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 14 March 2019, 10:37 »
It seems the new Golf is getting a fully digital cockpit with permanent connectivity to coax buyers of ‘Premium’ models in to the Golf, but the new technology is throwing up bugs VW need to fix.
Given VAG have had (in Audi) a tried & tested full digital cockpit working for several years, and the MY19 7.5GTI/TCR/R has "permanent connectivity", I don't believe this.

IMO, there's other reasons a foot, probably due to manufacturing constraints and WLTP hangovers. For example VW have recently cancelled all non customer 1.5/2.0 Petrol Arteon orders because they have such a backlog and can't meet the demand after WLTP. People who ordered last summer are still waiting for their cars and delay emails are going out to customers every month.
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 14 March 2019, 13:09 »
7.5 GTD

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 14 March 2019, 16:39 »
Everything has been pointing to a delay.
I doubt it’ll be a 12 month delay though. They’ll merely move from the traditional Autumn launch to Spring. Same as they trialled for the 7 to 7.5.
Could be some great winter deals on the last of line 7.5’s.

WLTP caused a massive log jam with its timing so it made sense for the 8 to be held back a bit. VW wouldn’t have gone to all the trouble of designing unique parts for the TCR if it was only going to be around long enough for a couple months worth of orders.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 14 March 2019, 23:14 »
It was explained here yesterday as a sales driven decision

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motor-shows-geneva-motor-show/new-volkswagen-golf-launch-delayed-report

Meaning that there is a whole lot of 7.5s unsold?
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 14 March 2019, 23:34 »
It was explained here yesterday as a sales driven decision

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motor-shows-geneva-motor-show/new-volkswagen-golf-launch-delayed-report

Meaning that there is a whole lot of 7.5s unsold?

Who knows what the real reason is, but it's not so long ago that VW had a whole load of unfulfilled orders for the Mk7.5. GTi. So I would say in that case they'd have done well to get a large surplus in such a short space of time.
7.5 GTD

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #7 on: 15 March 2019, 15:47 »
I'm not accepting the "nobody buys a golf between september and december"... I mean that has been their launch time every time...

There's something else here, but quite what I don't know.

Plus if you don't use the downtime in August to retool then you are wasting production time which costs them £££££

Then factor in that everyone knows the Mk8 is coming so won't buy a Mk7.5 anyway...

They know this, VW will fully understand the financial impact and so they'll only do it if there is a very very good reason... which has to be technical in some way shape or form.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 15 March 2019, 18:53 »
Wonder what the Golf delay means for the new A3/Leon/Octavia launches?

I agree with you Fred, i'm not sure how much I believe the official explanation either. Especially for it to be announced so suddenly and only a few months before the original planned launch.

Article here suggests though we'll have a Mk8 GTi and a Mk8 R before the end of next year;-

https://uk.motor1.com/news/313683/vw-golf-8-gti-r-2020/
7.5 GTD

Offline Toppy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 16 March 2019, 15:38 »
I ordered my mk7 GTI in jan 2017 & got it in March with a great deal due to the mk7.5 coming out, I think I would do the same just before the mk8 comes out & go for a R
Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.