Author Topic: Number Plate - Just Me?  (Read 1773 times)

Offline AGB

• I live here
Number Plate - Just Me?
« on: 24 April 2019, 01:01 »

I changed number plates on my car today and on removing the old ones discovered what can only be called a mess.

Seems the monkey at the dealership who fitted the plates failed basic maths. Sadly, the monkey also had a tool in the form of a drill and has managed to drill two holes in the back that aren't equidistant or level and on the front plinth, there are four holes, none of which align.

On one hand, I could maybe understand it if they were trying to align screw caps into the black / yellow / white so it was a neater job but if that's the rationale, just use double sided number plate tape as there is forgiveness if you're that incompetent.

I understand that it can be quite difficult on certain bumper shapes - god knows I've spent time with masking tape and lasers to ensure I don't mess it up where I have needed to drill but am I alone in being disproportionately p!ssed off by this sort of slovenly incompetence?

I've found the easiest way to get it centred is to use a laser - align to the centre baseline of the 'V' of the badge and work from there but if I was a dealer, surely making a templated frame with spacers would be easy, fool proof and worth the time?
MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
Re: Number Plate - Just Me?
« Reply #1 on: 24 April 2019, 09:49 »
I follow endless brand new, premium cars with wonky screwed on dealer plates. They don't really care much when attaching them I'd say.

I changed some a while ago on my wife's car and extra holes underneath. Some people notice and others don't. 70% of drivers probably wouldn't know if their plates were stuck on or screwed on. In fact, most probably don't even know their reg number!  :grin:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 24 April 2019, 09:54 »
Not just you, as had to replace mine as someone reversed into it and it was an equal hack job done with an out of sight out of mind philosophy  :cry:
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 24 April 2019, 20:27 »
I always ask for mine to be stuck on. Less chance of a cock up and easy enough to put right anyway. This time the DVLA system wouldn’t release my private plate. Took the new car with stuck on19 plates and, when the paperwork came through,  the dealer let me have the new plates and some sticky pads, so that I could change them myself. TBH I think he just offloaded the job, but at least I got it done right!
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 25 April 2019, 23:20 »
I follow endless brand new, premium cars with wonky screwed on dealer plates. They don't really care much when attaching them I'd say.

I changed some a while ago on my wife's car and extra holes underneath. Some people notice and others don't. 70% of drivers probably wouldn't know if their plates were stuck on or screwed on. In fact, most probably don't even know their reg number!  :grin:

I know, I was driving behind a new Bentley today and the plate was lopsided. How can they in good conscience let that out the door looking like that when a customer spends that much money. I feel comforted to know it's not just me who sees these things.  :laugh:

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 25 April 2019, 23:24 »
I always ask for mine to be stuck on. Less chance of a cock up and easy enough to put right anyway. This time the DVLA system wouldn’t release my private plate. Took the new car with stuck on19 plates and, when the paperwork came through,  the dealer let me have the new plates and some sticky pads, so that I could change them myself. TBH I think he just offloaded the job, but at least I got it done right!

This is what I've requested with the TCR. To be honest, I'd wrongly trusted the dealers with such a basic task in the past having not had need to remove a number plate before. That's all changed now though! They must love me - I leave an A4 in the car that says 'PLEASE DON'T WASH OR PUT SERVICE STICKERS ON THE WINDSCREEN'. Now it's 'DON'T TOUCH THE NUMBER PLATES FOR ALL THAT IS PURE AND HOLY'.....  :grin:

As an aside, Gtechniq Glue & Tar Remover is ace at removing the number plate tape. Combine that with a pressure washer once it's soaked in. An absolute joy.

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 25 April 2019, 23:24 »
Not just you, as had to replace mine as someone reversed into it and it was an equal hack job done with an out of sight out of mind philosophy  :cry:

I'm sure it's builders who have gone into the motor trade.  :shocked: