Author Topic: Wheel bearing  (Read 1913 times)

Offline Gozza

• I live here
Re: Wheel bearing
« Reply #10 on: 29 December 2008, 14:56 »
Easy way to tell if a wheel bearing has gone and which side.

Drive the car up to about 30 MPH and turn in. If noise gets louder when turning right its your left front wheel bearing, if it gets noisier when turning left its the front right ;). Reason for this is the extra weight put on that side shows the weakness. If still noisey both times it probably the rears which can be done yourself if your half decent with hand tools.

Offline ben1.8T

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 02 January 2009, 08:15 »
Cheers mate I actually niotice it more when turning right but notice it sometimes when turning left might just replace both fronts. They have to be pressed into the hubs dont they?
Golf SOLD. Replaced with a Yamaha Raptor 660 quad and loving it. This will be replaced in August with a Raptor 700. Sold the quad now got a Vectra GSI 2.5 V6 and its the nuts.

Brands Hatch massive. MEMBERSHIP ACCEPTED!

Offline Gozza

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 02 January 2009, 10:46 »
Yep they do. Ideally rear ones do too but you can cheat and just not replace the metal surround of the bearing (no idea on the official name) however this often means the bearing wears out quicker and needs to be replaced sooner than if done properly.

I would get them both done if noisy both ways, will be cheaper for a start I would think too and would be sods law you get one done and the other gets worse. I have a noisy front bearing too, the other is not noisy but still thinking of getting em both done as less hastle.

Offline dai-cymru

• I live here
  • 1989 MK2 16V
« Reply #13 on: 02 January 2009, 11:16 »
Yep they do. Ideally rear ones do too but you can cheat and just not replace the metal surround of the bearing (no idea on the official name) however this often means the bearing wears out quicker and needs to be replaced sooner than if done properly.

I would get them both done if noisy both ways, will be cheaper for a start I would think too and would be sods law you get one done and the other gets worse. I have a noisy front bearing too, the other is not noisy but still thinking of getting em both done as less hastle.

your talking about the outer race but you may as well do the whole lot rather than just the inner bearing, you can get a big socket and hammer them out if you dont have a press  :smiley:

Offline ben1.8T

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 02 January 2009, 11:19 »
Cool cheers boys.  :smiley:
Golf SOLD. Replaced with a Yamaha Raptor 660 quad and loving it. This will be replaced in August with a Raptor 700. Sold the quad now got a Vectra GSI 2.5 V6 and its the nuts.

Brands Hatch massive. MEMBERSHIP ACCEPTED!