Author Topic: brake discs  (Read 3118 times)

Offline mossy1969

• GTI forum regular
brake discs
« on: 17 September 2019, 19:38 »
hi there I've had my front discs and pad changed at my local vw independent  garage the first was with pagid discs and pads the second time with brembo discs and pads within the last 2 months . ive got the same problem of vibration on the brake pedal all the time. its in for a service on Monday he said he will look at it any ideas what it could be (I'm not a hard breaker so have been ggentle on the new pads) cheers

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
Re: brake discs
« Reply #1 on: 17 September 2019, 21:44 »
Wheels balanced

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #2 on: 17 September 2019, 22:20 »
After the first change, was the problem fixed but it came back? If so, how long before it came back?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline mossy1969

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 18 September 2019, 06:12 »
hi there when they were first changed the warped disc came back in about 2 weeks the second change the warping came back in 3 weeks got me puzzled this one could I try genuine vw discs and pads

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #4 on: 18 September 2019, 07:24 »
And the discs were actually warped in two weeks?

Is that actually warped or just unevenly worn causing an irregular surface? The actual rotor surface imperfection can be tiny for you to feel it...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline shiners

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 18 September 2019, 07:41 »
 I had the same problem with a Mk5 GT which basically ruined the front discs in a matter of weeks. Renewing the wheel bearing/hub assemblies made absolutely no difference. Suggest checking your front suspension bushes. It turned out that the wishbone bushes were worn out. Hope this helps?

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 18 September 2019, 09:47 »
Just throwing this in, as it’s more a performance thing than a road thing, but the makes of disc and pad you have tried are usually associated with performance brakes. If you have fitted performance brakes and then used them only lightly lightly during the bedding in period you may have caused pad material to pick up on the  discs, which will cause vibration. Performance brakes are made for hard use and don’t need much bedding in. What they do need is several really hard stops from speed, to put a surface on the pads, after which they should function as required.

If this is the cause here, you may be able to recover your current pads and discs by doing this now.

Take the obvious precautions when doing hard stops from speed. Pick your time and place carefully and make sure the road behind is clear!
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline mossy69

• GTI forum regular
  • 2014 gtd carbon grey pro nav dyn audio keyless wp
« Reply #7 on: 02 November 2019, 09:16 »
after 4 weeks now the front  discs have again warped this is bugging me now , last option is to get the genuine vw discs and pads, could this just be cheap metal in the disc the ones on are brembo and brembo pads please help me

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 02 November 2019, 09:53 »
after 4 weeks now the front  discs have again warped this is bugging me now , last option is to get the genuine vw discs and pads, could this just be cheap metal in the disc the ones on are brembo and brembo pads please help me
The calliper must be seized on slightly take it for a mile or two drive then check if discs are heating up excessively

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 02 November 2019, 09:56 »
Just throwing this in, as it’s more a performance thing than a road thing, but the makes of disc and pad you have tried are usually associated with performance brakes. If you have fitted performance brakes and then used them only lightly lightly during the bedding in period you may have caused pad material to pick up on the  discs, which will cause vibration. Performance brakes are made for hard use and don’t need much bedding in. What they do need is several really hard stops from speed, to put a surface on the pads, after which they should function as required.

If this is the cause here, you may be able to recover your current pads and discs by doing this now.

Take the obvious precautions when doing hard stops from speed. Pick your time and place carefully and make sure the road behind is clear!

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: this sounds like something a dealer service manager would say