Author Topic: Am I the next victim?  (Read 29056 times)

Offline RocketRossUK

• I live here
Re: Am I the next victim?
« Reply #50 on: 09 December 2013, 20:57 »
Can you guys have a quick read of my situation and what im best doing - link below

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,76423.msg803556.html#msg803556

Thanks fellas...

Unless the part is inspected beforehand it would be hard to prove otherwise. I explained the issue the week before mine failed when it was in for a service and they put on the paper work nothing abnormal observed (Surprise). When I questioned this they denied hearing any noise even though it made it every time it started, more so on first start which is why I left the car at the Dealership over night.

But then how much can be inferred from listening to a noise on start up? These places work in a regimented manner/off a script and don't tend to deviate. Print off the TPI and investigate as per the instructions, which is what they are paid to do.

I have been recording the engine sound on cold starts up for the last few saturdays, it defo doesnt sound right. If i have 5 recordings on USB stick of my engine starting up, leave it on the drivers seat and get them to listen to it getting worse there is no way they can say it not getting worse or sounds normal.
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | Milltek 3" TB Exhaust | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

MK5 GTI - DSG + Extras (Sold because DSG was Soooo Boring !!!)

Offline Obbzi

• I live here
« Reply #51 on: 09 December 2013, 20:59 »
If you are that concerned get it changed!

I had no concerns at all and it just went! No warnings, no noises, nothing just an effed engine  :cry: :cry: :cry:

I wouldn't use the car until you have either had the tensioner changed, or got someone to give the tensioner the ok(in writing)
2008 R32 DBP gone. 2008 GT TDI going 2009 GTI coming soon!

Offline RocketRossUK

• I live here
« Reply #52 on: 09 December 2013, 21:03 »
Its my daily driver, so i have to use it.

The car is still under approved used warranty, so there is no need for me to get it changed out of my own pocket as of yet.

Im going to let them look at it next Monday, there is no way they can say it sounds normal. I will get them to start a 12 plate GTI on the forecourt and compare.
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | Milltek 3" TB Exhaust | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

Offline Poached

• I live here
« Reply #53 on: 09 December 2013, 21:09 »
Can you guys have a quick read of my situation and what im best doing - link below

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,76423.msg803556.html#msg803556

Thanks fellas...

Unless the part is inspected beforehand it would be hard to prove otherwise. I explained the issue the week before mine failed when it was in for a service and they put on the paper work nothing abnormal observed (Surprise). When I questioned this they denied hearing any noise even though it made it every time it started, more so on first start which is why I left the car at the Dealership over night.

But then how much can be inferred from listening to a noise on start up? These places work in a regimented manner/off a script and don't tend to deviate. Print off the TPI and investigate as per the instructions, which is what they are paid to do.

I have been recording the engine sound on cold starts up for the last few saturdays, it defo doesnt sound right. If i have 5 recordings on USB stick of my engine starting up, leave it on the drivers seat and get them to listen to it getting worse there is no way they can say it not getting worse or sounds normal.

When I described the noise to the AA Patrolman who attended the breakdown he imitated the noise pretty much as it sounded.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
« Reply #54 on: 09 December 2013, 21:27 »
Could you upload those to youtube please?
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline C2K

• Here all the time
  • Northern Monkey
« Reply #55 on: 10 December 2013, 21:36 »
This happened on a friends mk6 gti in Johannesburg.  Failed on him at the power station we were working at,  just started rough one time then crapped itself. Was only just over 1 year old,  30 thousand kilometres.
5 Door Night Blue GTD
Dynaudio, 19" Santiago Alloys, Adaptive Chassis, Leather Pack, Winter Pack, Reverse Camera.

Bianca White 306 Rallye (Supercharged + Caged) : Melting Silver F54 Mini Clubman Cooper S

Offline RocketRossUK

• I live here
« Reply #56 on: 11 December 2013, 14:33 »
Here is the upload of my engine over the past few weeks and as you can tell its getting worse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF4hyTLVCOQ

Offline nige smith

• Not said much yet
« Reply #57 on: 11 December 2013, 15:24 »
Christ, it sounds like a London Taxi!

Offline squirrelGTi

• Here all the time
« Reply #58 on: 11 December 2013, 16:07 »
Damm that is bad!!! Thanks for the reference, at least the rest of us know what to listen out for.

Really hope VW look after you!

Just out of interest Ross, what's your mileage and age of vehicle?
Gone GTi | 3dr | Manual | Carbon Grey | Xenons | Monza 18's | RCD 510 |Rear Camera | Winter Pack.

Offline Poached

• I live here
« Reply #59 on: 11 December 2013, 17:18 »
Here is the upload of my engine over the past few weeks and as you can tell its getting worse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF4hyTLVCOQ

Sounds similar to how mine used to be.

Have you quoted the TPI numbers I put in my thread regarding your current issue?