Author Topic: Interior cleaning advice  (Read 3449 times)

steve12345

Interior cleaning advice
« on: 15 October 2019, 10:31 »
What products do you guys use to clean your interiors?

I’ve got a bunch of products for the outside and glass etc but I’ve never really had the need to do any deep cleaning inside. Other than hoover and basic wipe down, I generally keep everything clean without needing to do much more.

The new car however is pretty dirty inside, the cubby holes and drinks holders, and harder to reach areas are all dirty! I think the previous owner neglected the inside of the car and by the looks of it just used the cheap local car washes to maintain the car (based on the amount of swirl marks in the paint) who would of spent no more than 5 minutes cleaning the inside.

Watched a few videos and they suggest all purpose cleaner, I’ve had a quick google and found this concentrated stuff seems to get good reviews:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Meguiars-Purpose-Cleaner-Concentrated-D10101/dp/B0006SH4GE

Would you guys recommend something like this? If so what concentrate should I use for the various areas, eg, seats, plastic trim, dashboard etc etc?

There’s tons of specific products for all the various interior parts. Trying to figure out what I need is like opening a can of worms, so thought I’d ask you guys – apologies if this has been done before!

Also what would you guys recommend to clean and treat the leather steering wheel? The leather is starting to feel a bit dry in places and I don’t want it to deteriorate in the future.

Thanks in advance! 

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
Re: Interior cleaning advice
« Reply #1 on: 20 October 2019, 13:53 »
Used to use Autoglym Rubber & Vinyl Care. Leaves a nice gloss (or matte if you buff it) finish and excellent anti-static properties to repel dust. More recently I’ve switched to ODK Cabin as it doesn’t leave an incredibly slippery surface like the AG. And it has a nice smell to it. My car never gets dirty though - if you have ground in dirt, clean with an APC first such as Autoglym Interior Shampoo. Then use the ODK after to finish it off.
Golf GTi Performance Edition (2019), 5dr, DSG in Isaac Blue, Dynaudio & Brescia alloys.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 20 October 2019, 14:26 »
What products do you guys use to clean your interiors?

I’ve got a bunch of products for the outside and glass etc but I’ve never really had the need to do any deep cleaning inside. Other than hoover and basic wipe down, I generally keep everything clean without needing to do much more.

The new car however is pretty dirty inside, the cubby holes and drinks holders, and harder to reach areas are all dirty! I think the previous owner neglected the inside of the car and by the looks of it just used the cheap local car washes to maintain the car (based on the amount of swirl marks in the paint) who would of spent no more than 5 minutes cleaning the inside.

Watched a few videos and they suggest all purpose cleaner, I’ve had a quick google and found this concentrated stuff seems to get good reviews:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Meguiars-Purpose-Cleaner-Concentrated-D10101/dp/B0006SH4GE

Would you guys recommend something like this? If so what concentrate should I use for the various areas, eg, seats, plastic trim, dashboard etc etc?

There’s tons of specific products for all the various interior parts. Trying to figure out what I need is like opening a can of worms, so thought I’d ask you guys – apologies if this has been done before!

Also what would you guys recommend to clean and treat the leather steering wheel? The leather is starting to feel a bit dry in places and I don’t want it to deteriorate in the future.

Thanks in advance! 

There are so many products that it can be a minefield. 

For specific leather care for the steering wheel then Gliptone Liquid Leather products are very very good for preserving leather and restoring leather. Available on Amazon and good detailing product websites. The cleaner is highly effective and you only need a bit so a bottle lasts. The leather conditioner imparts the most lovely genuine leather smell. It’s arguable how effective leather conditioners are on coated modern leathers, but for the smell alone it’s great!  Gliptone also do a great air freshener which has the same smell.

For general interior cleaning, I like a few different products. 

I’ve long used Poorboys Natural Look Interior Dressing, which pretty superb on all interior trim, from tactile plastics, piano gloss, smooth plastics, leather, infotainment screens, door cards, switches, ...etc.  A really versatile interior dressing.  Good anti static effect too. Too thick to spray on, so application is best via a microfibre amd then biff off gently with a fresh one. A little goes a long long way so a bottle lasts ages.  It smells rather strongly of marzipan which some don’t like but that initial smell diminishes quite swiftly. 

I also like Auto Finesse Total Interior Cleaner spray which is a good all purpose cleaner, very effective. And so easy to use.

So the top two would be my recommendations for effectiveness, value for money and versatility.

I’ve tried Gtechniq Tri Clean which is another all purpose interior cleaner with anti bacterial properties, but I actually didn’t like it at all, and felt it left an unwelcome residue. And I found its cleaning ability nothing special. Not used it since. It does absorb smells though so useful for that if needs be. 

Another great interior product is Swissvax Quick Interior Finish spray which is really good all round.  It’s the expensive end of the spectrum, but is very good on anti-static side of things and cleaned trim stays dust free longer with this than some other products.  A luxury choice. 
« Last Edit: 20 October 2019, 14:28 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 20 October 2019, 15:20 »
Oddly, a really good cleaner to all surfaces is AG Fast Glass.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

steve12345

« Reply #4 on: 22 October 2019, 19:33 »
Thanks for the tips Booth

order placed for the gliptones, poorboy and autofinesse products. hopefully i'll get some time next weekend to give the car a good once over and get it back to new again (well as much as I can)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 23 October 2019, 05:23 »
Thanks for the tips Booth

order placed for the gliptones, poorboy and autofinesse products. hopefully i'll get some time next weekend to give the car a good once over and get it back to new again (well as much as I can)

Happy to help. Let us know how you get on with the stuff.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11