Author Topic: Real World mpg - GTI PP DSG  (Read 9611 times)

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: Real World mpg - GTI PP DSG
« Reply #30 on: 11 October 2018, 21:54 »
The mpg figures I quoted in post 8 represented typical journeys but I've now dug out my little black book and looked at the figures for each tank.
So worse case was 31.8 and the best 39.8.............overall average has been 36.7.
i do very little motorway driving, in fact I don't think I've been on one since August.

You keep records for every fill up? For what purpose?
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Patagonian

• Not said much yet
« Reply #31 on: 11 October 2018, 22:56 »
The mpg figures I quoted in post 8 represented typical journeys but I've now dug out my little black book and looked at the figures for each tank.
So worse case was 31.8 and the best 39.8.............overall average has been 36.7.
i do very little motorway driving, in fact I don't think I've been on one since August.

No reason really, just something I've always done (although there are a few gaps).
I can tell you that my Hillman Imp rally car back in the 70's easily did 40+ and 40 years later I still can't beat that although I reckon the CO2 has improved!

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #32 on: 11 October 2018, 23:21 »

No reason really, just something I've always done (although there are a few gaps).
I can tell you that my Hillman Imp rally car back in the 70's easily did 40+ and 40 years later I still can't beat that although I reckon the CO2 has improved!

We all have our quirks! :laugh:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Cecil

• Just got here
« Reply #33 on: 16 October 2018, 22:37 »
Hi all,
I am looking at possibly switching from my current BMW 430d to a Golf GTI PP (DSG), and wonder what people's typical mpg is for the said cars?
I will be using the car for mainly shortish distance trips in busy traffic, but with occasional B road blats and longer motorway runs.
The reason for asking is that I was expecting to average mid to late 30's mpg, but having looked on the VW approved used website I noticed that dashboard photographs of one particular car showed an average of 26.5 mpg!
I realise that this is a dealer car that is almost brand new and has likely been ragged from birth, and that driving style etc will have a major bearing on mpg - but, coming from a diesel I want to check what mpg I am likely to achieve in my mix of driving.
Any useful comments much appreciated.
Thanks   

Hi, i used to own an F30 330d that returned for me around 33 mpg on my 5 mile commute. I have a non PP GTI that i get around 27 mpg in the mornings to work and 31 mpg returning home. The difference is purely down to traffic conditions.

On a long run I will get close to 40 mpg and even 10 miles or so on relatively clear roads will see over 35 mpg.

I hope that helps.

BTW. GTI is much nicer to drive than BMW despite being slower and the engine is much more refined too. Another difference is the heater is hot within a mile where as the big diesel didn't really get warmed up at all on my short drive.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #34 on: 17 October 2018, 08:37 »
Again non PP GTI, but for the 3000 miles I've owned it (since may), my average according to Fuelly is 36.3 mpg although I do expect that to drop a little now the colder weather is here.

My trip to work is 10 miles though a town centre in the morning, and approx 14 miles on the motorway on the way home (due to traffic conditions). My MPG going to work (from stone cold) is around 32-35mpg (depending on traffic lights etc) and around 40-45mpg on the motorway on the way home, (with over 50mpg once in the summer).

By contrast my GTD's over the same journeys would achieve around 38-42mpg in the morning and around 48-55mpg in the evenings. My overall on Fuelly for my last GTD (tracked over 16k miles) was 45.2 and my first MK7 GTD (over 23k miles) was 45.9.The GTD's really didn't like the cold weather. Will be interesting to see if the GTI is affected as badly once the real cold weather arrives?

Bear in mind as well all 3 of these cars are DSG, so a manual should be little better.
« Last Edit: 17 October 2018, 08:39 by Sootchucker »
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Rich 3

• Not said much yet
« Reply #35 on: 18 October 2018, 16:50 »
Thanks all of you for the latest helpful comments.
All things considered, it doesn't look as though I will take too much of a battering at the pumps if I decide to make the change.  :smiley: 
2018 GTI PP dsg 5 dr DB Pearl Brecias Jacara Sunroof Privacy Glass

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #36 on: 25 October 2018, 06:58 »
Mega busy leaving work last. Stationary and crawling city centre traffic all the way to nursery caused the worst mpg I’ve seen. In fact this fill up has averaged 24 so far for 200 Miles as all town driving and traffic last week or so been really bad..  :shocked:

NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #37 on: 25 October 2018, 10:49 »
Not sure which is worse, 11mpg or taking 35 minutes to cover 3 miles :undecided: :laugh:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline wolly440

• Not said much yet
« Reply #38 on: 25 October 2018, 15:07 »
Not sure which is worse, 11mpg or taking 35 minutes to cover 3 miles :undecided: :laugh:

That would be hell, I'd have to cycle to and from. Even walking would be quicker 😳

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #39 on: 26 October 2018, 14:06 »

That would be hell, I'd have to cycle to and from. Even walking would be quicker 😳

It's normally quick, traffic been mad busy recently. I have to get a further 3 miles uphill from that point as well! Just shows what stand still traffic does to real world mpg!
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey