Author Topic: What have you done to your Mk6 today then?  (Read 627258 times)

Offline andygo

• GTI forum regular
Re: What have you done to your Mk6 today then?
« Reply #720 on: 20 July 2013, 15:58 »
Pianted my rear diffuser black. Its having its 2 pack clear laquer applied as I type. Be ready to put back on. Couldn't believe how easy it was to take off - 2 mins.

Had to clean it with thinners, quick flat with 800 grade, apply a thin coat of 'adhesion improver' from an aerosol, sprayed it satin black (doesn't matter if its having clearcoat on top) and took to a mates who is finishing it off.

You can in fact clearcoat it with 2 pack laquer from an aerosol from your local paint factors for the same effect.

Going to look tasty on my red GTi with Monza's... has to be a good mod for under a tenner.

Get some pics up when its done, I want to do mine, as soon as I get my car back that is  :cry:

Here you go:

Offline mkviken

• I live here
« Reply #721 on: 20 July 2013, 21:31 »
after washing it today i tried out a new detailer (poorboys spray and wipe) vs my usual choice (poorboys spray and gloss)

usually i wash my car, towel dry it, clean and dry the door jambs etc, run it round the block to dry off the brakes etc then use detailer spray to go over the car and catch any water runs.

up to now ive been using poorboys spray and gloss and like it but ordered 2x bottles of spray and wipe in error and gave it a go today.

cant tell any bloody difference between them apart from the price! spray and wipe smells nicer and is maybe (very) slightly easier to wipe off without residue/streaking, the spray and gloss may leave an ever so slightly more shiny finish but hardly anything in it.

spray and wipe is meant to be a waterless wash as well as a detailer so possibly safer to use as its designed to be used on a dirty car (not that i ever would!)? it does seem thicker than the other type.

just to compare against another product i also went back to meguiar nxt gen speed detailer which i keep in the boot for ages for wiping off bird sh!t.

the meguairs stuff is rubbish - ok for bird sh!t emergencies duties but otherwise its pretty poor IMO.
Golf GTI Clubsport S #237 Tornado red
Golf GTI 7.5 230 white silver

Offline Obbzi

• I live here
« Reply #722 on: 21 July 2013, 21:56 »
andygo, that lloks pretty damned fine  :cool: Can you tell me exactly what items you used and where you got them from as soon as I get my car back I'm going to do it  :smiley:
2008 R32 DBP gone. 2008 GT TDI going 2009 GTI coming soon!

Offline andygo

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #723 on: 22 July 2013, 09:28 »
Heres a short how to:

1/. Remove the 4 small torx bolts from bottom lip of diffuser.

2/. Gently pull off diffuser from bumper. Mine came off easily.

3/. Thoroughly clean diffuser, gently flat surface with 600 grade wet and dry. No need to go mad as the coats of laquer will smooth out dimples.

4. Apply a light mist of plastic primer such as this:

Allow to cure for 20 mins or so.

(Don't get your products from Halfords - find a paint factors locally that the trade use. They all have this sort of gear.)

5/. Apply your black paint and allow to dry.. I used satin black as I had some. Doesn't have to be gloss as your laquer will provide that.

6/. Apply your clearcoat laquer in several light coats. 

Allow to dry, preferably overnight. Once you have built up a decent depth, carefully flat it down using 800 grade wet and dry. Take care not to overdo it and break through to the plastic.

7/. Reapply several more coats of laquer for you final finish. Allow to dry properly. I then polished mine using autoglym resin polish, but the laquer should be shiny enough on its own.

8/. Carefully reattach diffuser to bumper. I lined mine up at one end and banged mine into place using the bottom of my fist. It pops back in without too much force, but better to do it like that than exert pressure with your fingers that could leave fingerprints if the laquer is still a bit soft.

Just noticed I have a bit of polish residue on, hence the white specks.

Offline Raffe

• I live here
2016 Golf R | 3dr | DSG | Reflex Silver | 19" Pretoria Alloys | 90% Tints | Nav | Winter Pack | App Connect

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Raffe

• I live here
« Reply #726 on: 22 July 2013, 13:59 »
The car is likely to be sold next year, but the wife has decided she doesn't like the exhaust and intake 'noises' and with me having driven the car once in over a month I can't really call the tune on this one.

Hoping that with the Stage 1 software it will still be fun, shouldn't drop too much power.
2016 Golf R | 3dr | DSG | Reflex Silver | 19" Pretoria Alloys | 90% Tints | Nav | Winter Pack | App Connect

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #727 on: 22 July 2013, 17:45 »
The car is likely to be sold next year, but the wife has decided she doesn't like the exhaust and intake 'noises' and with me having driven the car once in over a month I can't really call the tune on this one.

Hoping that with the Stage 1 software it will still be fun, shouldn't drop too much power.

Shame for you but can see her point, especially if you don't drive it much.  Hopefully it will still be a fun, if occasional drive.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Raffe

• I live here
« Reply #728 on: 22 July 2013, 20:00 »
Will be fine, and I have my eye on an M135i :whistle:

Marshy

« Reply #729 on: 25 July 2013, 14:48 »
Well not today but Tuesday I took my gtd and had a stage 1 Revo map loaded :grin:
Due to my previous tuner ruining my car I had to shell out money to get a proper map.