Author Topic: What detailing have you done today?  (Read 529210 times)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: What detailing have you done today?
« Reply #780 on: 04 October 2016, 07:36 »
I snapped my radius clean through, now have a plate and screws holding it together.

I went out and bought a turbo so can at least keep my legs going.

Ouch.  Turbo trainers are great pieces of kit for this type of thing and for the winter months.  Hope it mends well.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #781 on: 04 October 2016, 08:24 »
Thanks Bec.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #782 on: 04 October 2016, 13:53 »
Used some IronX for the first time today, a bit smelly but not too bad. Didn't seem to find too many contaminants, mostly round the front but I was expecting a sea of purple and just didn't get it. Something else I didn't get was my tar remover I ordered, was hoping to get that done today too but nevermind. Once rinsed off and dried I gave the car a once over with a QD, then windows outside with C2v3 and inside with AG Fast Glass then a good clean of the interior plastics with Poorboys Natural Look. Once I've been over with the Tardis then there'll be a couple of coats of wax going on.

2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #783 on: 04 October 2016, 17:39 »
 Looks fab as ever Watts.  :cool:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #784 on: 04 October 2016, 18:34 »
Cheers :smiley:

A question if I may, thinking about polishing but don't want to invest in a DA as yet, is hand polishing worthwhile and if so are you able to recommend one and what else would I need to do it? Also, should I clay first? Wasn't intending to clay but I can still feel some particles still in the paint.

Thanks again!

Oh, nearly forgot to say thanks again for advising using the C2v3 on the wheels, it's much better than the Finish Kare which ironically is so much better on the bodywork than the C2v3 was!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #785 on: 04 October 2016, 21:34 »
Cheers :smiley:

A question if I may, thinking about polishing but don't want to invest in a DA as yet, is hand polishing worthwhile and if so are you able to recommend one and what else would I need to do it? Also, should I clay first? Wasn't intending to clay but I can still feel some particles still in the paint.

Thanks again!

Oh, nearly forgot to say thanks again for advising using the C2v3 on the wheels, it's much better than the Finish Kare which ironically is so much better on the bodywork than the C2v3 was!

You can hand polish but it's VERY hard work and IMO only really useful for dealing with small specific areas. Hand polishing a whole car is a killer tbh, and has limited effect on swirls.  What a DA can achieve in a just a few hours will take considerably longer by hand and the results will not be as good.  I occasionally do a bit of hand polishing but only confined to spot areas like bird etching and minor marring and that's only if I can't be bothered to break out the DA.  But all that said, you can achieve reasonable results with hand polishing if you don't mind putting the effort in.

Worth having a read of this hand polishing guide  http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/what-does-polishing-do.html   Scroll to bottom of page and select hand polishing link.

With regards to choices of polish pretty much as you would choose if you had a DA, so all dependent on the level of swirls/scratches etc to be corrected.  If just for a refinement then a finishing polish such as Sonax Perfect Finish is a good choice or Meguiars 205 Finishing Polish.  If more correction is required then something with some cut such as Meguiars 105 Ultra Cut Polish, or Poorboys SSR 2 / 2.5, applied and worked using a foam applicator.

This is also worth a read and VW paint is on the harder side of automotive paints.  http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/what-polish-should-i-use.html

Regarding claying, yes I would recommend claying prior to polishing whether it's by hand or DA, especially if even after Tar and Iron remover you can still feel embedded contaminants on the paintwork.  If you polish and don't remove these then you will be pushing them further into the paint.  A clay mitt is a very user friendly introduction to claying if you've not done it before and I can highly recommend the WoWo Clay Mitt (20% forum discount) which is very easy to use.   But you haven't done the tar remover stage yet, so wait until your Tar remover arrives and do that then check the paint for remaining contaminants using the sandwich bag test - hand inside a plastic sandwich bag and run palm over panels, if glassy smooth then clear of particles, if still rough to touch then claying required.

Glad you are liking the C2v3 on wheels - it's a great wheel sealant and so easy on and off, and quick to do monthly, same with the glass.  Sounds like you've got it the right way round now, with your FK on the paint and C2 on wheels.  I know many love C2 on paint but not for me I'm afraid.

Hope this helps.  :smiley:
« Last Edit: 04 October 2016, 21:37 by Booth11 »
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #786 on: 04 October 2016, 22:24 »
Thanks very much for your time in posting that, very useful. I'll have a read of the guides you recommended. Once I've de-tarred, I think I'll have a good check on contaminants on each panel and see just how much is left, perhaps another go with the IronX will remove some more. My car cleans up pretty well so I may just postpone polishing until next year when I may decide to get a DA. My OH's minging Lupo would justify the outlay alone!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #787 on: 13 October 2016, 16:19 »
Finally got round to using the Tardis today. A good wax after and used some proper metal polish on my tail pipes which came up a treat (well, marginally better than when I used to use the washing up pad...). It looks great but the sandwich bag tests proves there are still lots of little bits stuck to/embedded in the paint. I think that'll be a task for the spring, for now I'm just going to keep the layers of protection up over the winter.

No pictures as I have to admit I didn't have time to wash the wheels which although aren't too bad, I don't want to embarrass myself :embarrassed: If I can get a bit of a distance shot in that masks my laziness, I may post that later.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #788 on: 13 October 2016, 17:12 »
Finally got round to using the Tardis today. A good wax after and used some proper metal polish on my tail pipes which came up a treat (well, marginally better than when I used to use the washing up pad...). It looks great but the sandwich bag tests proves there are still lots of little bits stuck to/embedded in the paint. I think that'll be a task for the spring, for now I'm just going to keep the layers of protection up over the winter.

No pictures as I have to admit I didn't have time to wash the wheels which although aren't too bad, I don't want to embarrass myself :embarrassed: If I can get a bit of a distance shot in that masks my laziness, I may post that later.

Needs claying by the sounds of it.  No need for embarassment, post the pics, we will avert our eyes from the wheel area :-D
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #789 on: 13 October 2016, 17:27 »
Just what I thought, thanks for confirming that. Definitely something to consider next year, will have to save some pennies. Getting to dark now for pictures, hopefully I'll get on with it tomorrow, probably....
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.