Author Topic: Fitting Tips for DTUK Pedal Box  (Read 28282 times)

Offline vidman2

• Here all the time
Fitting Tips for DTUK Pedal Box
« on: 22 December 2015, 10:44 »
A few tips to help people fit a DTUK Pedal Box that the instructions leave out.

1.   Remove the small trim plate under the dash to the right of the throttle pedal to get better access to the connector – a single star screw and it pulls forward out of a rear griper. Very simple to reinstall, just slot the rear into place and replace the screw.

2.   There are many reports that the Box is easy to install but difficult to remove, I have not tried removing it yet but took the precaution of rubbing a Qtip soaked in Silicon Lubricant over the sides of the connectors before installation in the hope it might make it easier to remove in the future.

3.   The Box comes with instructions on how to remove the connector supplied with the box – the one with a Grey Locking Connector, i.e. to press in and down to release.  This is OK, but the OEM connector has a RED Locking Connector which has to be pressed IN and UP and it is stiff.  I spent many unhappy minutes on this till I found an installation Video on Utube which shows how to do it but also shows the RED connector clicking open very easily – not in my case.

4.   While the Box comes with a Velcro mount for surface mounting most people will want to hide it away.  I put mine into the little cubby hole by the drivers knee. Simply remove the end trim plate from the dash – it is stiff but will come off - and you can easily route the cable up the in of the dash side out of sight and with a single loop to lose the excess drop it over the top to the cubby hole which will still open for easy access, though not as far as the cable will restrict it. Replace the end trim

5.   I have already wired a 3 way ciggy adapter in mine but there was still enough room for the Pedal Box controller.

6.   Lastly, when you switch the ignition off the Box LED(s) do not go out straight away, they extinguish about 5 mins after the car is locked.  They also come back on as soon as the car unlocks so can appear as thought they have been on all the time – confused me for a while till someone else explained it to me.

Lastly it does work!! virtually eliminating any initial throttle lag and improving pick up impressively, all the while still being smooth to drive in traffic. My R is a DSG and some people have said that the Box is not suitable for DSG cars but I have no problems and it performs well even on the lowest setting, it is possible that highest settings cause some people to have sensitivity issues but I have not experimented as I am happy with at setting 1 for now.

2015 R DSG. Limestone Grey, DCC, Winter Pack, Tech Pack, Reversing Camera    plus   2013 Mk7 GTi DSG - Performance, Navigation, Winter Pack, DCC, Park Assist,

Offline Forza300

• Not said much yet
Re: Fitting Tips for DTUK Pedal Box
« Reply #1 on: 23 December 2015, 16:30 »
Thanks for that Vidman

I can have a go a most installations but there's something holding me back from taking lumps out of my new car just in case i break something!

I'm probably going to treat myself to a Pedalbox after the winter now that i know it's not too much of an issue to get to the throttle pedal connector.
White 5 door GTD ordered 16/04/15 with all the driver aids, DSG & glass roof.

Collected 9th September 15

Traded in silver Jaguar XF 3.0DS 315hp Celtic tuning remap

Honda Forza 300 for fun on two wheels! :)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 21 February 2016, 15:35 »
Fitted the DTUK Pedal Box and took a few pic along the way.  Vidman's tips above were very helpful. Also vied the official fitting video a few times too https://youtu.be/EabRvM_-iIE

The kit

Locate the trim plate - removing this makes it much easier to access the connectors.  One Torx screw to undo then just slide it backwards to remove.

Locate the oem connector above the throttle pedal and push the red button inwards and upwards till it unlocks, then pull the whole black connector off.  The red button was very, very stiff and took a lot of perseverance but eventually released.

Take the black pedal box connector (one without the grey button) and slide it into the oem red clip connector until it clicks. Some have had trouble with this being a very tight fit but I had no problem with it at all.  They key is to ensure you align the little notch on the back of the connector with the corresponding slot on the red button connector.  The other key is to make sure you slide it in perfectly straight and not at an angle, then it should slide in ok. 

Once pushed in a far as it will go, push the red clip inwards and downwards until it locks down into place.  Again this was stiff and took a lot of  effort but the clip locked down eventually.  Check it is secure.

Take the other remaining pedal box connector (the one with the grey button) and slide it over the port above the throttle pedal (the one from which originally housed the the red button connector).

Push the connector down and click it into place and the grey button moves upwards and locks.  Check it is secure.

Replace the flat trim piece by sliding it back into place and securing the Torx screw.

I decided to keep the pedal box controller in the driver’s side cubby, so just half opened the cubby and fed the cable and controller over the gap at the back.

And here's the manual for anyone that needs it:

« Last Edit: 10 July 2016, 23:14 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline vidman2

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 04 March 2016, 14:54 »
Nice Pictures
2015 R DSG. Limestone Grey, DCC, Winter Pack, Tech Pack, Reversing Camera    plus   2013 Mk7 GTi DSG - Performance, Navigation, Winter Pack, DCC, Park Assist,

Offline Forza300

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 26 April 2016, 12:47 »
It's my birthday so what better toy to buy myself but a Pedalbox. :smiley:  I've been contemplating the fitting over the winter and Booth's pictures finally decided it for me that i can do it myself without doing any damage.

Ordered from DTUK on a Monday, received on the Thursday. Came with comprehensive instructions and an extra couple of pages of pictures to cover 'difficulties'.

Most helpful advice was to plug / unplug the male & female connectors together a few times to get a feel for the technique and effort required.

Removed the cover plate (as shown on Booth's post) and for the first time i could see the various cables and connectors. To remove the plug from the top of the pedal you squeeze the grey button and push up. First attempt didn't budge it, second go the grey button flew off and fell on the carpet  :huh: and the plug was free.

Pushed together the flying lead and one side of the Pedalbox lead which snapped together, replaced the grey button in it's slot and pushed that onto the connector ontop of the pedal and that too snapped together.

Start the engine to check all's working and that's the fiddly stuff over in 10 minutes.

Positioning the control might take longer as i can't decide where to place it. For now i've got it on velcro at the top of the r/h footrest out of reach of my size 10's but get at able if required. Once i find the optimal setting for my driving style i guess i won't be needing to touch it.

Just a tip ~ it's possible to thread the control into the small cubby without removing the dashboard end cap.

I'll post my views on the operation on the Pedalbox when i've covered a few more miles.

Offline golfhappy

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 26 April 2016, 12:56 »
Is it just the pedal box you have fitted or in conjunction with a map or tuning box? i've just removed my map and running the pedal box only with sport+ +2 and it's good. I think i had a problem with my pedal box plus map. At 3700rpm in 4th it had a hiccup whilst changing gear. I've yet to explore whether it was the map or map plus box setting.
Enjoy some bit of kit..German technology.....and cheap Chinese connectors..a match made in heaven  :grin:
Audi S1 gone, awaiting 1.5tsi r-line, pan roof, led lights front and rear, active dash, 18" jurva alloys and a dealer fitted Oettinger roof spoiler in tornado red.

Offline Forza300

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 26 April 2016, 13:11 »
Just the Pedalbox for now.

Might be persuaded to go for a remap at some point.

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 26 April 2017, 09:49 »
Just giving my 2p worth. I removed the cubby box by opening it and squeezing both sides quite hard and pulling down at the same time.

Once that was out I just reached in through there and fitted the peddle box. Start to finish it took less than two minutes.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline canalmike

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 03 April 2018, 19:36 »
Fitted my pedalBox yesterday, as well as switching off the silly noise soundaktor (thanks again itavaltalainen!).

Wow it's a different car! It now drives like a dream - in fact it drives exactly the way I imagined it should drive before I took delivery. Why VW don't set them up like this beats me. Instant response to the gas pedal, far better gear selection (it's a DSG), and a smoother, quieter ride.

And so far I've only tried 'City' mode. City plus 1 feels right, plus 2 a fraction too much, but still experimenting. God knows what 'Sport Plus' does.....!

Like 'I Wanted a GTi' above I went in through the cubbyhole. NOT that easy to remove - I had to use a screwdriver to prise the side in as squeezing it just didn't work. And the access is limited so you have to do the connection one-handed. Got there in the end with only a little blood...

Only query since doing the 2 jobs is that after switching the ignition off I get a humming sound through the central air vents for around 5 minutes which I don't remember from before. Does not seem to be related to the pedalbox as the light on that goes out first (after around 3 minutes).