Author Topic: Forum charity - 3rd year  (Read 9508 times)

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
Re: Forum charity - 3rd year
« Reply #10 on: 04 May 2011, 17:13 »
On a personal level for me I would have to say a charity related to cancer. In the last 12 months I have had an aunt diagnosed with breast cancer, an uncle with leukaemia and my girlfriend lost her grandma to cancer in November.

On top of all this I found out this afternoon that it is highly likely that my mum has breast cancer, so something http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/ would be my first choice.

Offline The Doc

• Forum addict
  • E63s Estate - Vito Sport
« Reply #11 on: 04 May 2011, 20:52 »
Any cancer charity is good for me - rolling road day 2 for Carbon me thinks  :wink:

Offline Len

• 10k hero
  • Guardian of the Seas, Protector of Waves
« Reply #12 on: 04 May 2011, 21:16 »
Sod breast cancer! More men die of prostate cancer than women die of breast cancer! FACT!

So I like jv's suggestion!
Mystic Blue Mk3 16v + Black Mk5 Gti 05 plate + Peugeot 405 Mi16

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline Steve_PD

• Serious forum addict
  • Cruising around in a Land Cruiser
« Reply #13 on: 04 May 2011, 21:53 »
Prostate cancer sounds good, lost my granddad to it last year
I often wonder why people never expect sarcastic comments from me - they're the only reason I speak...

Offline The Mighty Elvi

• I live here
  • I'm better than you today.
« Reply #14 on: 04 May 2011, 22:40 »
I have nothing specific in mind....but what about a small charity or a rare illness.  Or one of those  "raise some cash to send my sick child to America for a life saving operation"  thing.

A bit more bang for our buck...as it were.

Seems the big charites gets loads of cash & exposure.  Maybee our contribution would be a bit more effective to support something more directly.

Just a thought.

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 04 May 2011, 22:50 »
I hear you Elvis and did ponder one to choose like that. I reckon though, that with something more specific you are less likely to appeal to a wider donation audience. Suppose it depends on more money for a bigger charity or potentially much less money for a smaller one. Trickeee innit.
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline The Mighty Elvi

• I live here
  • I'm better than you today.
« Reply #16 on: 04 May 2011, 23:01 »
I do think that the majority of members on here are "good eggs" and as such would support mostly any charity, because it is the forum charity.

There may be a silght uptake in interest because of personal experience / it's flavour of the day...like Help for Heros, but I think we would all chip in and support the chosen cause, regardless of size/scope.

My own personal experience is with Leukemia.  It was fortunate that I ticked the right box when I started donating blood as a student.  About 5 years ago I was told I was a match with a small boy in France who had Leukemia -he was 5 years old.

So I donated my bone marrow and afaik, he is sill alive and doing well.

So..to add to the list, that's my two penneth.

Jonathan.

Offline Jack3559

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 04 May 2011, 23:14 »
I've gotta agree with Jonathan.

I'd rather donate for something tangible than donate to a charity to pay for someone like me to do as little as possible.

If we could raise enough money to pay for a treatment or a fixture or an amenity we'd see our results.

1. Raise money.
2. Give Chuff money.
3. Chuff goes to Ethiopia.
4. Chuff builds a new well.
5. Chuff updates build thread.
6. Forum members feel warm fuzzy feeling. 

Offline Thom89

• Forum addict
  • Looking for an "Icebreaker"
« Reply #18 on: 05 May 2011, 00:56 »
Lost family and friends to both Prostrate, and Breast cancer recently, so Cancer Research gets my vote :wink:

Thom

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #19 on: 05 May 2011, 09:17 »
I think cancer is something that we can all relate to in one way or another so cancer research gets my vote.