Author Topic: Changing to a forge actuator  (Read 3735 times)

Offline D4VEY01

• Not said much yet
  • 1999 GTI 1.8T AGU BLACK
Changing to a forge actuator
« on: 22 September 2012, 12:02 »
Hi,,Got a forge actuator to go on next week (yellow spring) ,not done this job before,,what bits will i need from the dealers...much advice greatly apprieciated..

I bid you good day  :laugh:

1999 : GTI : 1.8T : AGU : SPEC 1 R-TECH REMAP : BOSCH SUPER 4 : FORGE TIP : SILICONE TURBO HOSE KIT : 18" RS4 ALLOYS : -30MM ADJ SPAX SHOCKS/SPRINGS : FORGE 007P D/V (YELLOW) : MILLTEK CAT BACK RES 4MOTION : POWERFLEX DOG BONE BUSHES : PIPERCROSS FILTER : FORGE ACTUATOR (YELLOW) :

Offline Prawny

• Here all the time
  • R-tech power!!!
Re: Changing to a forge actuator
« Reply #1 on: 22 September 2012, 12:19 »
How are you doing it, removing the turbo or just dropping it down and doing it in situ?

If dropping it down, you'll need a new turbo - manifold gasket, and that's about it I think.

If removing to fit the actuator, you'll need new turbo - manifold gasket, turbo - downpipe gasket, oil drain gasket,  4x oil crush washers, 7x water crush washers, and a manifold gasket just incase you have to whip it off for some reason :)

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #2 on: 22 September 2012, 13:55 »
new manifold to head gasket too. Take the manifold off, makes it so much eaiser

1999 1.8T: R-Tech remap - 225bhp/256lb/ft : K03s : THS FMIC : THS PCR pipe : 2.5" stainless exhaust : THS FR3 Engine mounts : G60/VR6 clutch : Calibra Yellow injectors : VR6 MAF : Devils Own WMI : Forge 007p : Carbonio CAI : Leon Cupra R Brembos : FK AK Street coilovers : Votex skirts : Anniversary front : click ---> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=92175

Offline dan2252

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 22 September 2012, 14:49 »
So it's not just a simple unbolt jobby? I thought you would simply remove the actuator fit forge one set it up and it's done. Glad I saw this thread before I buy a actuator next month and try doing it in 20 min
MK4 golf 1.8 turbo agu :)

Offline Prawny

• Here all the time
  • R-tech power!!!
« Reply #4 on: 22 September 2012, 15:02 »
new manifold to head gasket too.

I said that  :laugh:

Not a simple job at all mate, the actuator bracket bolts onto the turbo underneath the manifold, so to get at the bolts you need to split the turbo away from the manifold.

If you're good with your hands, it can be done by just dropping the turbo down a few inches and working blind. Easiest way is a turbo out though

Offline D4VEY01

• Not said much yet
  • 1999 GTI 1.8T AGU BLACK
« Reply #5 on: 23 September 2012, 16:26 »
 :grin:
A big thanks to the replys,got a clearer veiw of whats involved,i knew it as a ball ache of a job but needed a few pointers..

Thanks again.
 :whistle:

1999 : GTI : 1.8T : AGU : SPEC 1 R-TECH REMAP : BOSCH SUPER 4 : FORGE TIP : SILICONE TURBO HOSE KIT : 18" RS4 ALLOYS : -30MM ADJ SPAX SHOCKS/SPRINGS : FORGE 007P D/V (YELLOW) : MILLTEK CAT BACK RES 4MOTION : POWERFLEX DOG BONE BUSHES : PIPERCROSS FILTER : FORGE ACTUATOR (YELLOW) :

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #6 on: 23 September 2012, 18:08 »
Sorry I only just skimmed over your reply  :embarrassed:

I did mine by just dropping the turbo down a bit, you need to do this to start with anyway to gain access to all the manifold nuts (all 13 of them)

I also had to undo my oil feed union to get to one of the nuts that hold the actuator on. Budget a couple of hours and then a few more if you cock it up like I did lol

1999 1.8T: R-Tech remap - 225bhp/256lb/ft : K03s : THS FMIC : THS PCR pipe : 2.5" stainless exhaust : THS FR3 Engine mounts : G60/VR6 clutch : Calibra Yellow injectors : VR6 MAF : Devils Own WMI : Forge 007p : Carbonio CAI : Leon Cupra R Brembos : FK AK Street coilovers : Votex skirts : Anniversary front : click ---> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=92175

Offline dan2252

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 24 September 2012, 11:23 »
Ooh dear haha best ways gonna be to take the turbo off I reckon, have fun mate! Haha :) do they come out the top turbos?
MK4 golf 1.8 turbo agu :)

Offline Chris#101

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 24 September 2012, 12:51 »
Make sure youve got the right bracket  :wink: Me and a few others have had them come with variant k03 brackets. email forge and they send you out the right one

2003 1.8T: R-tech Live Cutom Stage 2 remap: N249 Bypass : Forge T.I.P : Forge 007p  : Forge Actuator, yellow spring : Toyosports F.M.I.C : Toyosports C.A.I :                                                                   PCV simplified - oil catch can : 42' Draft 3" turbo back non res exhaust system : Devils own W.M.I : 231bhp & 258lbs-ft