Author Topic: DIY Service!!!  (Read 5066 times)

Offline *Dickie*

• Not said much yet
Re: DIY Service!!!
« Reply #10 on: 09 March 2010, 23:29 »
thanks for the "lol's" at me regading the oli change, well im not really hands on with cars, but i wanna be.....so im just asking lol

so has any1 brought a servie kit before or do u just go halfords or local parts shop and get all the bits ???

cheers

Offline leeasson

• Not said much yet
  • black 8v GTI
« Reply #11 on: 09 March 2010, 23:38 »
I'm a noob to this car malarky too, but getting hooked at a rapid rate.

Did my 8v a few weeks ago having bought bits from a local motor factors, cost me nearly £30 more than ordering a kit off the internet would have.

I managed to change the oil, oil filter, air filter, plugs, rotor arm and distributor cap with just the occasionally pointing from my brother. Getting the oil filter off was the only tricky bit, but i understand much easier if you've the right tool.
 :grin:

Offline Matty-MK3

• I live here
  • Automatic boats FTW.
« Reply #12 on: 09 March 2010, 23:39 »
You can get a service kit if you wish.

Engine dependent (what engine?), oil filter is in front of the engine and you can undo it by standing directly in front of the bumper and leaning over.

Air filter you simply un clip all the clips on the box, remove, replace and put it back together. Sump plug is 17mm IIRC. Plugs are easy just don't pull on the HT leads themselves, try pulling on the metal around the plug. Check the gaps aren't closed on the new plugs.

Then check around the suspension shocks for leakage. Check coolant level and top up accordingly. Screenwash, check and make sure the jets are un blocked. Grease the door hinges and check the exhaust isn't blowing. Check all manner of things, how thick are the brake pads etc.

Oh, and tool for the oil filter? Do it by hand you pussy.  :tongue:
Golf MK3 1.8 auto and I didn't pay a grand for the "priveledge" :grin:, auto windows all round and a AC. Oh and I've got a luggage net you pricks!

Does that make my willy look bigger?

Oh yeah it's called Helda or something....

Offline leeasson

• Not said much yet
  • black 8v GTI
« Reply #13 on: 09 March 2010, 23:43 »
 :drool: :drool:
Oh, and tool for the oil filter? Do it by hand you pussy.  :tongue:

hahaha we tried that, screwdriver rammed through it worked in the end

:tongue:

Offline Matty-MK3

• I live here
  • Automatic boats FTW.
« Reply #14 on: 09 March 2010, 23:49 »
:grin:

Get one from Snap-On Bluepoint, works wonders in tight places.
Golf MK3 1.8 auto and I didn't pay a grand for the "priveledge" :grin:, auto windows all round and a AC. Oh and I've got a luggage net you pricks!

Does that make my willy look bigger?

Oh yeah it's called Helda or something....

Offline tobybrennan

• I live here
  • GL get out the way, and make way for a 16v anni
« Reply #15 on: 10 March 2010, 08:41 »
there is a special tool to unscrew your oil filterr, halfords will hook you upp

Offline DubSociety

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 10 March 2010, 09:24 »
Piss easy job ...

Pollen filter located under the scuttle panel, you'll new some long nose pliers to take of the bolts on the scuttle panel, and it'll easily be visible.

Drain the oil and then change the filter ... if your really lazy, invest in a £50 oil extractor pump, it sucks all the oil out through the dipstick insert.

Offline axewielder

• I live here
  • 95 dragon 8v
« Reply #17 on: 10 March 2010, 15:24 »
just buy the oil filters with the hex welded on the end

http://www.vwspares.co.uk/index.html this place aint bad for service parts

would rcomend getting a haynes manual, they are excellent for the general service type stuff+ will teach you the basics, not as good for the more complex stuff but thatll come

Offline FlySpeck

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #18 on: 10 March 2010, 16:06 »
and the plugs - thread them by hand until they are almost fully home - the head is aluminum and if you cross thread the steel spark plugs into the head using the plug spanner, you will kick yourself for months lol - and dont over tighten, just a quarter turn after they "land" to flatten the crush-washer seal fitted to them.

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #19 on: 10 March 2010, 16:13 »
And if I was you I'd loosen up the oil filter before you do ANYTHING. If you try and undo the oil filter with oily hands you will struggle a lot!

The oil filter tool costs about £5 from any motors factory.

Good luck.