Author Topic: Nearside mirror not returning from dipped position  (Read 3940 times)

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
Hi all,

New problem has presented itself yesterday and continues to do so. Can't tell yet if it does it 100% of the time or is intermittent.

After reversing, the nearside mirror has started staying in the down position (sometimes fully down, other times part way down). It will manually adjust back into its normal position immediately after failing to return automatically.

The car was admittedly left out in the torrential downpours we had yesterday (with the mirrors folded in) so I'm hoping it's just a little bit of water ingress somewhere in the mirror which will dry out. The car normally gets put away but I'm mid project in the garage lol.

Any ideas would be appreciated, ta very much.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
Re: Nearside mirror not returning from dipped position
« Reply #1 on: 12 June 2019, 13:46 »
Sounds odd! I'm pretty sure they are designed to be outside in the rain though!  :grin:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 12 June 2019, 14:02 »
Hi all,

New problem has presented itself yesterday and continues to do so. Can't tell yet if it does it 100% of the time or is intermittent.

After reversing, the nearside mirror has started staying in the down position (sometimes fully down, other times part way down). It will manually adjust back into its normal position immediately after failing to return automatically.

The car was admittedly left out in the torrential downpours we had yesterday (with the mirrors folded in) so I'm hoping it's just a little bit of water ingress somewhere in the mirror which will dry out. The car normally gets put away but I'm mid project in the garage lol.

Hi Gnasher,

My mirror took a while to get worked out and it did sometimes display some odd behaviour. Have you tried simply resetting the mirror and recalibrating the reversing position as you did previously (I assume)

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #3 on: 12 June 2019, 17:42 »
I haven't resynched it, however I had previously put the heated mirrors on to dry them.

Funnily enough, got in the car tonight to come home from work and it worked perfectly. I'll keep an eye on it though.
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 12 June 2019, 19:13 »
Hi all,

Every single VW I have had in the last 10 years has done this at some point. Manual adjustment and move on. Dealer never found out why.
MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 13 June 2019, 20:08 »
Have you tried popping the mirror button into the middle neutral setting and leaving it there for a day or two before switching it to “left” again to see if it resets in the CAN BUS?
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #6 on: 14 June 2019, 12:14 »
Have you tried popping the mirror button into the middle neutral setting and leaving it there for a day or two before switching it to “left” again to see if it resets in the CAN BUS?

Not done it, I can't think why it does it but I did use the heated mirrors a few days ago to dry the glass off. Worked fine yesterday but did it again this morning (after another night of rain) so I'm leaning more towards water ingress. Might set the mirrors not to fold in when I leave it and see what happens.

Offline DTX3

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 14 June 2019, 14:45 »
You're lucky it actually moved. Mines never dipped automatically when reversing since getting 7.5 new and not sure why

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 14 June 2019, 14:47 »
You're lucky it actually moved. Mines never dipped automatically when reversing since getting 7.5 new and not sure why

Mine didn't for ages - until I realised a) you had to set it up and b) you have to have the mirror adjustemt stick turned to the L mirror position

Offline DTX3

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 24 June 2019, 13:27 »

Mine didn't for ages - until I realised a) you had to set it up and b) you have to have the mirror adjustemt stick turned to the L mirror position

Great thanks. Got it working now.  :grin: