Author Topic: standard or racing ???  (Read 3030 times)

Offline mk1stu

• Just got here
standard or racing ???
« on: 18 May 2003, 19:57 »
hello all ,
i have owned a mk1 gti for over 18 months now , its on a y plate and totally standard , i think its a campaign but not sure !!
anyway it is a real clean example of a mk1 gti and i cant decide weather or not to "do it up" , ie : stainless exhaust , manifold , 17s rims , uprated brakes , camshaft and anything else i could buy !!!
money isnt really a problem so i would "go all the way"
but cant decide if i want to spoil such a clean example !!
would apprieciate any advice !!!

would also like to say what a wicked site this is ....
respect to the people who run it !!!
« Last Edit: 01 January 1970, 01:00 by 1055631600 »

old_boy

Re: standard or racing ???
« Reply #1 on: 19 May 2003, 07:47 »
Hi there,
The only advice I can give is this.......
I was once the proud owner of a Helios blue campaign mk 1, and as I was young and easily led, I decided to mod it, ie16v engine, de-locked, lowered and fancy brakes......
Now I'm older and wiser (yes really!) I really wish I could turn back the clock and start it all over, and spend the thousands of pounds on sourcing the panels and bits to keep it as it was meant to be.......... :'(
History lesson over-I can see the attraction of the modded route, but hey!, be an individual, keep it real! :)

Offline VWnut

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2003, 19:09 »
Keep it standard!!!!!
Don't waste money on mods. The mk1 is a classic and money should be spent on restoring it, you will also get more interest when you come to sell it.
You can still gain more power from the engine etc, but if the body work is clean i would keep it that way.
I once spent a fortune on a mk1: respray, clipper kit, 16's, engine mods etc but it was done on a car which was about to be scrapped.

Offline NICK1329

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 26 May 2003, 07:50 »
:)I'm probably older than the other two who have replied so far & the advise I would go with is to keep as standard. My previous Cab I looked around for 18 months before getting the right example & there were dozens of people who couldn't sell because not standard.
If you want to do some mods, why not consider ones that the car can be returned to standard when sold ?
I do like the idea of a mk 1 with brakes. That is a revolutionary concept!!!!!

Offline MK1_BOY

• Here all the time
  • Low Low bored out MK1 Golf GTI Campaign.
« Reply #4 on: 28 May 2003, 20:36 »
I am a young, well youngish MK1 Campaign owner, I brought the car and it had already been lowered(Its very very low), it is Matt black(Ready for respray).  I'm gonna have it sprayed the original colour, hilious blue but I'm not going to higher it, handles soooooo well, like its on tracks....  Personally I think that its all very well making it look nice but it should be kept as original as possible, cos thats how it looks the best....  Like I said, I only have a few external mods inc alloys but it still looks kind of original, the real difference is under the bonet, the bloke who I brought it from had it bored out to a 2 litre, its soooo fast, its misfiring at the moment but I still kaned a Vovlo C70 Convertable on the A3 the other day...  Just thought you might like some more input...  And I agree, its a blinding web site, well chuffed my mate told me about it.....  Big up JV..... :D
Race ya...