Author Topic: Timing Chain tensioner Failure List (timing issue)- Please Update with Your Info  (Read 362747 times)

Offline herbie911

• Here all the time
Yes Snoopy, you can add me to that list. My car was delivered in 11/2009. The engine went in september 2013 with 39000miles on the odo. I know they replaced the whole engine-heads and bottom end. They kept the ecu and I think they use the same turbo. Initially they talk about charging me for doing the engine diagnostic as the extended warranty did not cover it. Somehow they change their mind and offered me a courtesy car instead.
Unfortunately, I don't know how much it will had cost me if I don't have the extended warranty. I didn't ask as I was a bit upset at the time. So far, there is no trouble with the engine. Just added a litre of Castrol last month!

Offline darrent

• Not said much yet
@mikegti77 - Thanks for the reply.  The VassTech website is impressive and seems to portay a good set up.

You say your warranty is running out hence you're changing the tensioner etc (presume you had no warning signs or symptoms/ you're just keeping a step ahead?).

Were you satisfied your Skoda supplied warranty would have covered a tensioner/chain/ consequential damage failure?

Thanks again.

I would most of the time after standing over night (low oil pressure) get this noise at startup (first 1 second metallic noise), this is not my car btw: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCLSXCO3NU0

The skoda warranty is actually 'car care plan' who do a lot of manufactures warranties, i believe tensioner is covered / consequential damage.  I could have let the car carry on making its timing chain noise with the backup of the warranty, but decided to fix the issue instead, in a few months time warranty ends.  as you will see at the thread start vw are covering the cost of the engine with cira a £1000 input from owner, vw know there is a problem.  warranties are around £350 - 400 a year, but of course does not fix the issue, just insures against it, pays your money takes your chances i guess.

my car no longer makes the startup rattle, mileage when tensioner was changed was 52K.
Sorry for dragging this off topic a bit but you can't receive pm's
Just a couple of questions
How did you find Vasstech also what warranty/guarantee did they give you on their work.
I've an extended warranty purely because of this problem but thinking £380 and get it sorted is better than pulling out the same every year.

Offline mikegti77

• Not said much yet
@mikegti77 - Thanks for the reply.  The VassTech website is impressive and seems to portay a good set up.

You say your warranty is running out hence you're changing the tensioner etc (presume you had no warning signs or symptoms/ you're just keeping a step ahead?).

Were you satisfied your Skoda supplied warranty would have covered a tensioner/chain/ consequential damage failure?

Thanks again.

I would most of the time after standing over night (low oil pressure) get this noise at startup (first 1 second metallic noise), this is not my car btw: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCLSXCO3NU0

The skoda warranty is actually 'car care plan' who do a lot of manufactures warranties, i believe tensioner is covered / consequential damage.  I could have let the car carry on making its timing chain noise with the backup of the warranty, but decided to fix the issue instead, in a few months time warranty ends.  as you will see at the thread start vw are covering the cost of the engine with cira a £1000 input from owner, vw know there is a problem.  warranties are around £350 - 400 a year, but of course does not fix the issue, just insures against it, pays your money takes your chances i guess.

my car no longer makes the startup rattle, mileage when tensioner was changed was 52K.
Sorry for dragging this off topic a bit but you can't receive pm's
Just a couple of questions
How did you find Vasstech also what warranty/guarantee did they give you on their work.
I've an extended warranty purely because of this problem but thinking £380 and get it sorted is better than pulling out the same every year.

Hi,

I've used VASSTECH in the past for servicing and other jobs on my A3, family and friends also use them. They are well known around area as being good, I'm located in Darlington, I see you are north east also.  All their work is covered by the usual 2 yr VW parts warranty.  I spoke to them about the issue, they had never seen a 2.0 tsi with the problem, but we discussed the parts and work involved and I decided to go for it as i trust them.

That was my thinking to be honest, pay the money and (hopefully, touch wood  :undecided:) get the source of the problem fixed rather than having to pay every year for piece of mind.  I viewed it as a cambelt change in money terms.

it was spoiling my enjoyment of the car so just got it done, you'll see my parts listed in this thread. the only advantage i can think of renewing the warranty every year is that other parts of the engine (and car) are also covered.

I've enabled pm's now (thanks), good luck with your decision...
« Last Edit: 02 April 2014, 19:47 by mikegti77 »
MK7 GTI, Carbon Grey, Pan Sunroof

Offline Scottw

• Not said much yet
Can I just ask why there's 2 cable tires round the chain ,in the photo on the front page?,
Could something like this be made to keep the per-tension on the chain before the oil pressure builds up?
Sorry don't own a gti ...yet,doing homework ..

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
They are only there as the person who took the photo put them on to hold the tension on the chain while removing/replacing the tensioner. They are not fitted by vw and should not be left there as the chain would just snap them if the car was started.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline fentshire

• Not said much yet
Re- Timing Chain failure

Dear All

Well, if you look a few pages back I highlighted my Timing Chain 'failed' issue.

The great news is on Friday, I finally got my GTI back all fixed and fully tested, after a month. It did not cost me a penny because thankfully I had a VW warranty when I purchased it second hand in July 2012.

I have a copy of the invoice, for new mechanical pieces put in my engine. I really do not understand them, as I am a competent incompetent with all things mechanical. However, the cost of the items was £1789. If you then guesstimate a day of labour to fix it, then this would be an additional charge of close to £1000.

Johnsons, my local VW garage were first rate in customer service and gave me a courtesy car to use (no charge) while my car was being mended (an automatic VW Up, but better than walking everywhere).

Having got used to the rather slow speed of the VW Up, it was such a joy to get my GTI back. But, in total if I had my warranty, this would have cost me north of £2500 to fix.

Offline Pld118

• GTI forum regular
That's a happy story fentshire.  Good for you.

So basically, your car was still within the extended VW warranty period and the reassurance factor is that if your car is serviced/ maintained to VW requirements, if you have an approved used Das Welt extended VW warranty, should a car be afflicted with timing chain tensioner failure/ consequential damage, one will indeed be covered and aside to inconvenience, need not worry?

Offline fentshire

• Not said much yet
Yes, that is 100% correct.

Also, after purchasing my GTI, I got it serviced (at the required intervals, with stamp etc) at a very good local independent garage, which is considerably cheaper on the hourly labour charge. They use VW parts when needed. The point being you do not need to get the GTI serviced at an authorised VW garage, where the labour charge was £95 + VAT per hour and you pay for rubber plants, tv, cappuccinos, pretty girls who answer the phone etc.

Offline Hobojim

• GTI forum regular
I think my local dealer is trying to cut costs on the pretty girl front......

Offline fentshire

• Not said much yet
You should see the chaps at my local independent garage...no pretty girls with short skirts there, but they are bloody good engineers and excellent value  :wink: