Author Topic: Running costs  (Read 13088 times)

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
Running costs
« on: 06 January 2019, 21:25 »
Thinking of taking the plunge - what can I expect for typical running costs with regards to tyres? Does it churn through a pair of fronts in 10k? I’m used to getting 20k+ out of mine, albeit in my 150ps Audi A3. Also what about MPGs? Audi S3 is also on my short list as it will cost the same on pcp but I expect with much higher costs? Any GTI owners who’ve come from an S3 for comparison?
Golf GTi Performance Edition (2019), 5dr, DSG in Isaac Blue, Dynaudio & Brescia alloys.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Running costs
« Reply #1 on: 06 January 2019, 21:42 »
I'd expect 15-17k from the OEM BS's on the front and possibly as much as 65k on the rear with OEM BS's - they are as hard as f***.

That's assuming you are driving reasonably quick but not lighting up and sliding around.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline 2007GTI

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 06 January 2019, 21:49 »
If you are worried about running costs, maybe a GTI isn't for you! Most folk who buy a GTI don't count the pennies!

Also all depends on your driving style.

Thinking of taking the plunge - what can I expect for typical running costs with regards to tyres? Does it churn through a pair of fronts in 10k? I’m used to getting 20k+ out of mine, albeit in my 150ps Audi A3. Also what about MPGs? Audi S3 is also on my short list as it will cost the same on pcp but I expect with much higher costs? Any GTI owners who’ve come from an S3 for comparison?
2014 Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr in Carbon Grey, 18s, leather

Gone but not forgotten '07 Mk5 GTI DSG (2006 to 2014)

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 06 January 2019, 21:50 »
I was bit excitable with my first Mk7.5 GTI and needed new fronts around 10k  :grin: But a lot of my driving was done round town.

MPG wise you are looking at anything from 20 to 45. If I’m stuck round town a lot mine does 25 average over a full tank but easy to get 30-35 if you’re out of town and 40+ if you’re driving steady on the right type of roads.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 06 January 2019, 21:51 »
I’ve had many Gti’s and currently drive an S3. Can’t say I’ve noticed massive differences in running costs. I’d normally only get around 30 miles more out of the gti tank than the S3. Insurance is supposed to be higher but again I’ve not really noticed. My last gti was stolen though so my premium went up anyway.

There’s a fella on Audi Sport forum asking the same questions. Both great cars but totally different.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 06 January 2019, 21:57 »
That’s probably me - same username lol
Golf GTi Performance Edition (2019), 5dr, DSG in Isaac Blue, Dynaudio & Brescia alloys.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 06 January 2019, 22:04 »
Ah! Your cover is blown!

I bought an S3 last time because it was cheaper on a pcp than a gti which I know you’ve kind of covered on the other forum. But I have little to no equity in the car due to the high gfv. I think that the used car market is difficult at the moment though so we’re all in trouble in that respect.

I’m trying to decide between an R and gti now so in a similar situation to you. I’ve driven both and will go back and try again before committing myself. You’ve got to wonder if the R is really worth the extra and that depends on so many personal factors.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 06 January 2019, 22:08 »
Considered the R myself but on lease rather than pcp but pretty soon ruled it out as it just looks too dull for my liking, particularly the interior. The GTI is the much nicer of the two. But AWD... and powewwwer!!!! :-)

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 06 January 2019, 22:09 »
Well I’m not worried about the costs I’m more interested how the compare to the S3 as ultimately that’s the decider on which car I buy.

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 06 January 2019, 22:13 »
Ah! Your cover is blown!

I bought an S3 last time because it was cheaper on a pcp than a gti which I know you’ve kind of covered on the other forum. But I have little to no equity in the car due to the high gfv. I think that the used car market is difficult at the moment though so we’re all in trouble in that respect.

I’m trying to decide between an R and gti now so in a similar situation to you. I’ve driven both and will go back and try again before committing myself. You’ve got to wonder if the R is really worth the extra and that depends on so many personal factors.

Did you feel the Golf was a bit of a step down in quality, eg interior? That’s my main sticking point really. #BadgeSnob