Author Topic: 1st 3rd and 5th hard to select. 2nd and 4th are perfect!  (Read 876 times)

Offline Jin_C

• GTI forum regular
Hi all,

I've just replaced my gearbox and now have and issue with selecting the 1st, 3rd and 5th. It is hard to select them and you don't get the smooth notch selection its very vague. However selecting 2nd and 4th is perfect.

I've twisted the gear weight on the gearbox by hand and anti clockwise is easy and you get a smooth selection with a clunk. But clockwise is harder and there is no clunk to indicate it has moved into place.

I have aligned the cables according to the known procedure and even bled the clutch just in case. Any suggestions? Would a gearbox oil change make any difference?
1.8T AGU, K03s, 007p, pipercross panel filter, G60 + VR6 clutch and flywheel, silicone TIP, decat + boost hoses, JOM coilovers

Offline cooki2

• GTI forum regular
Re: 1st 3rd and 5th hard to select. 2nd and 4th are perfect!
« Reply #1 on: 05 June 2012, 10:36 »
Orite mate by the gearbox if u open the bonnet look at the gear box to the left by the side of the engine.there is some pipes and electrical cable in a black cover the gear weight can foul.on that have a look.

Offline jamie1989

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 05 June 2012, 11:14 »
Have pulled the gear stick gaitor away from gear stick and "Homed" the gear stick before aligning the cable via the gearbox end?
To do this youl need a longish nail to home the gear stick, youl notice when pulling the gaitor up away from the bottom of the stick what I mean.

I hope this makes sence..
1.6-1.8t AGU K03s, Forge actuator, Forge 007p, turbo back exhuast, Ths front mount, Catch can, 5 piece silicone boost pipes and creation sports tip. Stage 2 atm 232bhp 270lbs. Waiting for custom mapping :-)

Offline Jin_C

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 05 June 2012, 11:43 »
Yup I stuck a 4mm drill bit in there to 'home' it. The procedure said 5mm but it wouldn't fit.

I will go and double check for anything in the way but Im sure that there isn't
1.8T AGU, K03s, 007p, pipercross panel filter, G60 + VR6 clutch and flywheel, silicone TIP, decat + boost hoses, JOM coilovers

Offline jamie1989

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 05 June 2012, 11:47 »
I found it easier having a mate with me. It did take about 2-3 times to get bang on tbh.
One of you stay in the car and once aligned check it, if still not good the other realign the cables.

Your issue is definatley the alignment. Makesure the cables are not fouling on the downpipe either I did that mistake before and it stinks haha
1.6-1.8t AGU K03s, Forge actuator, Forge 007p, turbo back exhuast, Ths front mount, Catch can, 5 piece silicone boost pipes and creation sports tip. Stage 2 atm 232bhp 270lbs. Waiting for custom mapping :-)

Offline Jin_C

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 06 June 2012, 16:34 »
Turns out it was a combination of the cables being stuck around the down pipe and the adjustment connectors being a bit old and worn.

The alignment procedure didn't work for me so just went for trial and error and its made it better. Going to buy some new plastic bushes and other bits to see if that makes it perfect.