Author Topic: track day pads  (Read 11337 times)

Offline andybod

• GTI forum regular
track day pads
« on: 10 July 2011, 08:39 »
morning all ,quick question i have an evening session coming up at donington in a few weeks and looking for some track day pads for my mk4 still running 288mm discs been offered ebc greenstuff for about £60 these any good or spec me something else from your experiance's,i'm not looking to spend a fortune as i'll be upgrading disc's etc after donington just looking for something to keep me going any help and suggestions appreciated ta

VeeDubGTI16v

Re: track day pads
« Reply #1 on: 10 July 2011, 09:26 »
ebc pads are sh!te. Have tried green and yellows and hated both, besides greenstuff aren't performance pads, they are designed to reduce brake dust and keep shiney alloys shiney.

Horney uses mintex 1144's (i think) to good effect which are roughly £50, ferodo ds2500's are brilliant but £100ish.

Offline ashw831

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 10 July 2011, 09:31 »
morning all ,quick question i have an evening session coming up at donington in a few weeks and looking for some track day pads for my mk4 still running 288mm discs been offered ebc greenstuff for about £60 these any good or spec me something else from your experiance's,i'm not looking to spend a fortune as i'll be upgrading disc's etc after donington just looking for something to keep me going any help and suggestions appreciated ta

I use carbone Lorraine pads for my track slag and they are amazing!

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #3 on: 10 July 2011, 18:11 »
I've got Mintex M1144 and they're great, awesome performance from cold. I've managed to overheat them only once.

Offline Nige

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 16 July 2011, 04:06 »
Carbone Lorraine RC6 pads are the best I`ve ever used (And I`ve tried several types). Superb feel, great modulation and excellent performance. IMO.

Offline Tazzy

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 16 July 2011, 11:57 »
gsf are apparently selling brembo pads reasonably cheap, dont know how much mind
If It Comes Off, Modify It!

Offline madmanmart

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 16 July 2011, 12:18 »
Running EBC red stuffs.

Never had any problems or any brake fade ect.

Mk3 Golf 3dr GTI 16v
Mk3 Golf Cabriolet TD
20vt Corrado track car project

Offline jonno74

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 19 July 2011, 05:01 »
Without racing brake fluid you won't get the benefit from the performance pads. Pushing hard on the track with say red stuff pads and normal Dot 5, it's the fluid that boils first giving the dreaded long pedal!
I have found ATE racing blue fluid (about 20 quid for a litre), combined with yellow stuff pads is a cost effective way to get several fade free laps at a time,

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #8 on: 19 July 2011, 08:17 »
I don't buy this.

Putting super special fluid in a track car is nonsense.

It's like putting super special oil in a track car.

However many track days you do the fluid will still have collected enough moisture that it will need changing at two years.  The super special fluid becomes a very expensive consumable, with no benefit.

Change your fluid regularly (as you should) and you shouldn't be boiling your standard fluid.

If you're still boiling your fluid then review the specification of your brakes, or your driving style and brake less - it only slows you down anyway.

I have to say I'd take the same stance on pads and discs.  Spec the correct, or over-sized brakes and use OEM quality discs and pads.  If they aren't working for you then you're either running about 3-400BHP or your braking style needs attention.

Obviously this is only based on my own limited experience, but since fitting 280mm front brakes to my Golf I've never had any brake fade, but then I drive pretty slowly in comparison to some of the hot-shoes in this thread....
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #9 on: 19 July 2011, 10:20 »
Motul rbf600 is £12 a bottle, its hardly gonna brake the bank