Author Topic: will it mess it all up?? coilovers and pics  (Read 1629 times)

Offline _redders_

• GTI forum regular
will it mess it all up?? coilovers and pics
« on: 29 May 2007, 15:38 »
hey all, my car is on coilovers, and sits pretty low, it drives amazing, (the best ive ever driven) but there is around an inch or so of coils left and i want to go lower
I think it drives so well because its all being professionaly set up, i know this because i found this hidden in all my recipts.

anyway, what i wanted to know is, if i decide to lower the coils a little more, is it going to throw the it all out????

i have this much to play with at the front . . .

and this much at the rear . . .

any help would be really really apprechiated. thanks

DROP IT LOW . . . ROLL IT SLOW

Offline systemseiko

• Here all the time
Re: will it mess it all up?? coilovers and pics
« Reply #1 on: 29 May 2007, 22:29 »
Don't think loweringit will totally mess up teh camber & caster as most of teh adjsutment is done via your steering rack,  anti roll bars and mac pherson struts,  in exceptional cases the mechanic may have to loosen subframe or axle,  so i would go ahead and lower away,  always mark your struts prior to adjustment.

If it is a 90 mph per hour wind and you drive your car at 90mph downwind, if you stick your head outside would you feel the wind?

Offline stomper

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 30 May 2007, 10:21 »
It will put the camber and tracking out a touch, probably worth getting it checked after you do it.

Biggest problem is going to be shifting the collars, those rear's look corroded as hell!

As mentioned mark your struts anyway (although it should be easy to see where the collars were sat as it should be shiny thread!!

2003 Black Magic Bora Sport 1.8T (180)
AMD remap
Milltek Cat-back exhaust
18" BBS RC's
Eibach 30mm Springs with Boge Shocks
Front and Rear V6 4Motion Valances

Offline _redders_

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 30 May 2007, 12:50 »
cheers guys, the threds look alot worse than they are, they have all been greased up, and the grease is just covered in crap, i just didnt wipe them before i took the pics. :laugh:

Offline systemseiko

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2007, 22:31 »
good luck lad,  just done the shocks and rear axle bushings on mine and they were a pig to get slackened to say the least,  have now got to get the camber and caster reset,  check the sticky f for on line Mk 3 vag settings for the correct rear axle angle settings prior to getting your alignment checked, i'll look for it in between to save you hassle 

If it is a 90 mph per hour wind and you drive your car at 90mph downwind, if you stick your head outside would you feel the wind?

Offline _redders_

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 30 May 2007, 22:55 »
thanks very much. ive decided im just going to drop the back a little more, im happy with the fronts, so i shouldnt really have any problems with camber ect.