Author Topic: advice needed...  (Read 1626 times)

Offline [han]

• I live here
  • Graphic Designer for Haribo
advice needed...
« on: 20 March 2006, 08:27 »
ok guys, so i know it's not often you see me floatin about in your mk3 section (no pun intended) basically to cut a long story short the C-RV has been nothing but problems since we got it. So mum has seen the light and decided she is going to look into buying a mk3, probably a diesel for fuel economy i guess... What are the options open to her? What size diesel engines did they produce? is it just a 1.9? cos i've seen a 1.9 diesel about here!

Basically she's lookin in the region of £2000-£2500 Can we get a good example for this? Just what your guys advice! as she'd like something cheap to run.

As some of you know, my little brother has been a big expense to the family recently with his van accident. Dad is currently using mums C-RV instead of his diesel van (seeing as it's "broken") , so money has been tight tbh with dad using a car for work that does 27mpg rather than the million that his tdi transporter did! so we are only looking into the golf at this stage, although mum is pretty adament what she would like to have one. We just have to wait for the insurance company to assess the van etc.

All help on this issue would be much appreciated. Cheers guys!

han xxx :kiss:

mowgli

Re: advice needed...
« Reply #1 on: 20 March 2006, 09:18 »
Why does your mum want a diesel?  Does she do more than 15K miles per year?  If not, it will work out cheaper to buy a petrol to run.  Even the 8v GTi will do 40 mpg on a run and 34 on everyday runs.  Have you considered the Vento, same car, big boot and much cheaper to buy.  HTH, just trying to spark off some lateral thinking to solve the problem  :wink:

Offline Bazzer

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 20 March 2006, 09:46 »
They did 1.9 diesels with and without a turbo. And, 2 different engine specs of the turbo jobbers, giving different power output. I think the wheeziest (non turbo) is about 75bhp, and the later, turbo ones gave out about 110 bhp, with a 90bhp in the middle. I  was gonna buy one a long long time ago, that's how I remember... I think 2.5k will get you a nice one...

www.honestjohn.co.uk is a good place to look at for advice on buying btw...  :wink:

Bazzer

Offline [han]

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 20 March 2006, 14:16 »
thanks guys... i was thinkin petrol would be just as good... espec lookin at prices!!!

Offline BigDaveC

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 20 March 2006, 19:25 »
There are too many petrolheads on here !  :wink:
90bhp TDI was the quickest diesel engine in the mk3. They made a GT 110, but wan't imported into the uk for some reason ?!!  :huh:
Mines chipped to 110bhp, made a hell of a difference, and is about as quick as it should be for the age of the car.
I'd stay well clear of non-turbo !! (OK for penny pinching grandads!) Be carefull of some dealers they list TD's (75bhp) as TDI's ! (which are well sought after and expensive for good examples)
Tdi is in group 8. 1.9 engine only.
On the diesel point, if your dad's tdi does a 50+ to the gallon, you'll know how economical they are at the very least you'll get 40mpg. I think you'll be lucky to get 35mpg on a 1.8.
I'd steer clear of a 1.4 & 1.6. The body is too heavy for the engine. Underpowered as HELL ! :nerd: :nerd: :nerd: :nerd: :nerd: :nerd: :nerd: :nerd: :wink:

Offline [han]

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 20 March 2006, 21:25 »
cheers for the advice.. unfortunately dads van does 0mpg atm  :evil:

Offline BigDaveC

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 20 March 2006, 21:33 »
yeah, i read about that. :shocked:

Offline [han]

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 20 March 2006, 22:13 »
least we can replacce vans! Thanks for the help guys.. mum just needs a cheap decent run about!

Offline BigDaveC

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 21 March 2006, 12:50 »
What about this......!¬
  :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :laugh: