Author Topic: Rust/Painting  (Read 62725 times)

Offline Ashley

• I live here
Rust/Painting
« on: 29 February 2008, 21:16 »
Hi Guys,

After finally finding out my colour code for my golf I've decided I need to fix some rust on the driverside wheel arch and a tiny bit on the boot (near the windscreen wiper)

I've searched around the forum for an How-To post etc but I've been unable to find one - can anyone talk me through how to treat say a piece of bubbly rust?

I've bought some kurust, body filler, wet n' dry, primer and masking tape, and I've got a fairly good idea of how to do it, but could anyone give me a few tips? Should I get a can of paint made up to spray?

My car colour is LP5U Bright Blue Metallic - probably a stupid question but will I need any laqcuer?

I hope some of you could help me..

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
Re: Rust/Painting
« Reply #1 on: 01 March 2008, 12:28 »
  • grind the area back to metal - take your time doing this and do it gently
  • treat the metal with rust stuff like kurust
  • fill the area with filler - layer it if the application needs to be deep
  • sand the area back, sand it again, and again... get finer and finer with your sanding till you wet n dry - use a sanding block
  • mask everything and anything you can (including yourself!)
  • prime
  • sand
  • prime
  • sand - repeat prime and sand until you are happy with the finish
  • wet n dry
  • wash it down
  • tack cloth - literally tacky cloth
  • test spray on an old bit of metal - spray off the area and then across - repeat this process until you have your technique down (will pay dividends later)
  • make sure your spraying area is warm, clean, dry, dust free, windless - really advise against doing this outside  - inside in a large well ventilated dust free environment is best esp at this time of year
  • shake the can well, then shake the can well, then shake it again etc - you get the picture
  • spray by building up the layers of paint - take your time over this
  • lacquer is good for a good finish but only if your paint is finished well
  • let the paint dry and harden over a two week or so period and then cut it back to match in with the surrounding paint
  • then apply a wax to protect

the paint you can get your dealer to mix up and they do a touch up kit with a lacquer for about 12/15 quid i think - you just need to give them your paint code

you can get halfrauds to mix up the paint too i think but i don't know about the quality

90% of getting this job right is in the preparation... take short cuts in the prep and it'll show through from a mile

please anyone feel free to correct me if you feel this advice is incorrect or can be improved upon

Offline Ashley

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 01 March 2008, 15:39 »
I'm going to be busy..

When you say over a 2 week period before cutting it back, it's fine to take the car out yeah?

cheers for that!

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 01 March 2008, 22:23 »
nooo - leave it in the garage and don't whatever you do move it at all...  :laugh:

seriously - yep - it's fine to drive it about once the paint has dried...  just make sure it is proper dry before you take it out

Offline Skiing

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 04 March 2008, 12:27 »
Sorry, am probably being thick, but what is cutting back?
1988 Golf GTi Mk2 16v 2.0 9a bottom end- Oak Green - 3 door - full black factory leather...

Offline Ashley

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 05 March 2008, 09:27 »
Any tips at all on this monstrosety? (see 'cosmetic matters' to comment, soz)

« Last Edit: 05 March 2008, 09:29 by 45h845h »

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 08 March 2008, 20:37 »
Sorry, am probably being thick, but what is cutting back?

its using a compound with light abrasives in it to essentially cut back a layer of paint... you then polish it

the aim of which is to match in your new paint with your 'old' paint so it won't be as noticeable that the new paint has been applied

Offline eightyeightmph

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 14 March 2008, 14:15 »
Here's a tip that I picked up from a mate at a paint shop....

If you're spraying using off the shelf rattle cans use your Missus' hair dryer to warm up the panel just before you spray it, also put the can of paint in a tub of "as hot as you can get it out a tap" water. Still shake the hell out of it but the idea is to get the paint warm so that it sticks better, drys a bit quicker & doesn't run or collect dust etc.

:smiley:
2016 GOLF GTD

Offline MowatGTI

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 20 March 2008, 18:02 »
Good shout chaps.

I have noticed a few rusty bits popping up on my mk3.

I'll post some pictures up when I can be arsed.

I'm hoping this method will cure them all!

Cheers.

Offline golfmk31993

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 06 April 2008, 17:48 »
ive got a little bit of rust on my drivers side sill, but im gunna fit gti skirts to cover it  :smiley: and i got a 2penny sized rust bubble on my door so im just gunna buy a new door in my colour from the breakers,

my question is , is ther somthing i can just put on the rust before i fit the skirts to stop it from spreading any more??