Author Topic: GT TDI 110 annoying glow plug starting problem  (Read 1617 times)

Offline mf44

• GTI forum regular
GT TDI 110 annoying glow plug starting problem
« on: 02 February 2008, 09:47 »
Hello everybody, got a little problem with my 99 gt tdi 110. When I turn the ignition key the glow plug light on the dash goes out almost straight away, so it really struggles to start as they aren't warmed up properly. What I have to do now is turn the ignition on & off 4 or 5 times before I start it, then it starts fine. The plugs themselves are fine, I just need to know what to do to make them stay on longer? My mate reckons it's all controlled by the ECU? Hope not as there's now way I can afford a new one of these!

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
Re: GT TDI 110 annoying glow plug starting problem
« Reply #1 on: 03 February 2008, 10:24 »
With the weather we get here, the glow plugs aren't really required on these cars. Mine only ever come on for the same amount of time as yours
I've only known the light to stay on for any longer when its been around minus 5 or below.
I know you can extend the time that they operate via vagcom but I wouldn't as I don't think that is your problem.
Have a look at the clear fuel tube coming from the air filter.....is there any air or a bubble in it. When I had similar starting difficulties it turned out to be one of the pipes allowing air to be drawn into the fuel.