Author Topic: martinb - mk2 8v  (Read 5770 times)

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
martinb - mk2 8v
« on: 27 December 2005, 19:07 »
here you go :)
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline martinb

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
Re: martinb - mk2 8v turbo!
« Reply #1 on: 07 January 2006, 10:19 »
Cheers JV  :grin:

Right where do i start! Right i Got this car back in april 2004 after my mk3 gti 8v had a high speed "incident" with a rather large suicidal bambi look-a-like. The incident left my mk3 rather poorly and a couple of grand later it still didnt feel right so i finally decided to admit defeat and start looking for another car!

Initially i was looking for a corrado and viewed a few ropey examples without much luck when i heard some rumours about this car for sale by a friend of a friend so decided to take a look. So after a brief test drive inevitably a deal was done for my mk3gti and some cash!

Although this was my 4th vw (jetta, lhd polo, & mk3 gti previously) this was the one that got me into the dub scene big time after a fairly dodgy driving history involving a lot of RS/XR fords, some french rubbish and a massivly slow bmw!

when i got the car the spec was roughly as follows:

•   Custom Turbo conversion using turbo from a Peugeot 306 turbo dsl
•   Custom manifold   
•   Engine bored out to 1900cc
•   Uprated forged pistons
•   2 extra injectors
•   Dump valve
•   Full Scorpion Stainless exhaust system with twin DTM style upswept tail pipes
•   Ford RS turbo intercooler
•   Lenso RS5 deep dish 17” alloy wheels with low profile tyres
•   Induction Kit
•   Uprated springs and shocks
•   Single wiper conversion
•   Crystal clear headlights
•   De-badged single lamp grille with custom air holes drilled to improve airflow to the intercooler
•   Crystal clear indicators and clear side repeaters
•   Mk2 golf gti 16v (140mph) clocks fitted
•   Crystal “M3” style tail lights
•   Uprated sony CD player + 10 disk cd changer
•   Red I on rear GTI badge to indicate turbo as on mk4 Golf gti turbo models

and this was how it stayed for a while until i took it to gti international 2004! A couple of runs up the strip proved great fun despite the pouring rain (think the 1/4 mile was 15.something but cant really remember) and although i beat my girlfriends brother the car got upset and resulted in limping back to the car park and bodge repairing it enough to get home! :embarassed:

Turns out i where the downpipe joins the turbo/manifold had come apart and the car also had some underfuelling problems full boost!

Since then the main things i have done to the car (mod wise not repairs) are:

*got some german plates
*g60 arches
*crystal indicators
*mk3 gti grille badge from my old car
*loads of shiny interior bits like trimsport gear knob, mirror adjustors, door pins, wolfsberg leather gear gaitor etc
*the car is also now on its 3rd set of wheels since i had it as although the lenso's looked wicked they were not in great condition and when they needed new tyres i changed them to the 15" mims pictured. I was not 100% sure about the mims so i have since changed them to 15" bbs ra's which i am fairly happy with but i do still have the mims and am toying with the idea of selling them or colour coding the spokes!

and more recently (on xmas day) i fitted the bits my lovely girlfriend bought me for xmas!

*280mm momo team steering wheel
*new crystal x-hair headlights
*some nice new wolfsburg mats

I being fairly lazy have a few parts waiting to be fitted too such as:

*some bigger G60 injectors to try a help the fuelling
*an oil cooler as it gets a little hot on long motorway journeys

but the most likely next mod will be a uprated clutch as my standard one has just given up and is slipping like mad! :angry:

Although the car is being done on a major budget as i have two small kids and am a poor overworked, underpaid insurance man  :grin:  the next major things i wanna do are coilovers and hopefully a respray cos although the paint is not bad it always looks rough at shows when compared to some others but watch this space, will keep you all posted......

Offline martinb

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
Re: martinb - mk2 8v
« Reply #2 on: 07 January 2006, 10:25 »
right these are the most up to date pics i currently have on the computer, still showing my old mim wheels (which im open to offers on if anyone wants em!  :grin:) will try to put some more up to date ones on soon!

Offline martinb

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #3 on: 21 February 2006, 12:38 »
Yay finally something to report!! At last i have a new clutch in my car so it goes fast again!! Not sure how long it will last as it was a ebay bargain, brand new @ 28.00! :grin: Still with my local garage only charging 100 to fit it im well happy even if it does only last a year or so!

Offline martinb

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #4 on: 06 March 2006, 13:31 »
Finally got round to taking some up to date photo's:

The car as it looks now with the bbs and my new lights, even had a rare wash!

My new tiny steering wheel that my girlfriend bought me, its a bit like driving a go kart now! :laugh:

my new lights, another pressie from the missus! :smiley:

Offline martinb

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #5 on: 12 May 2006, 16:10 »
Right thought it was time for another update as not put anything on here for ages!!

hmm...not much to report actually!

The car failed its mot for the first time (since i have had it anyway!!) but nothing major, a new rear bearing and cv gaitor was all that was required. I was a bit annoyed about the new rules for mot's, having taken the vehicle off site i had to take a full retest again and pay the full 44.00 fee again!!  :angry: Kicked up a bit of a stink and ended up just paying half the retest fee! Anyway all sorted for another year now!  :smiley:

Also been having a bit of trouble keeping my G60 arches attatched to the car! While cleaning the car prior to the VW's @ MHS show at the start of april i noticed a gap between the rear drivers side g60 arch and the bodywork so thought that looks lose...gave it a little pull and the whole arch came off!! :angry: Where the arches had been previoulsy cut down to accomodate the previously fitted 17"s there was not much of a metal lip to reattach them. By this time it was getting dark and starting to rain so just slapped a load of no more nails round it and put it back on with gaffer tape while it was drying. This sort of worked but those of you at the show will prob have noticed the tell tale gaps with white sealant in at the show. Its still a bit loose now so going to try taking it off again and resticking it with some stuff thats used to put boats together apparently as recommended by someone on the site!! Will keep you posted how it works...

My bargain clutch has also started slipping again already in 4th and 5th on full boost  :angry: , cant believe despite being a cheap clutch that i has worn out already! I am going to check the clutch cable and make sure there are no oil leaks that might be getting on to it but if i cant sort it then it looks like i wont be able to have another crack at the sprints at inters as i cant afford to replace it with a decent one til after!  :angry: Perhaps a lesson to be learnt there about cutting costs with cheap bits!  :smiley:

All part of the fun i suppose..........

Apart from that the only other things i have done are replace my cracked mirror casing and change the badge on the back too a chrome one! :smiley:

:smiley: