Author Topic: han - mk2 'disaster'  (Read 9332 times)

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
han - mk2 'disaster'
« on: 27 November 2005, 15:20 »
here you go :)
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline [han]

• I live here
  • Graphic Designer for Haribo
Re: han - mk2 'disaster'
« Reply #1 on: 27 November 2005, 18:13 »
ok guys .. so i'll start from hte beginning and give u a very quick run through.. got some pics!  :smiley:

so in the beginning of june i had an "incident" with a subaru impreza and my 106, which ended up in my 106 getting written off.. so i bought myself a 1.6 golf mk2 driver. At a bargain  price because it was written off so seeing as i was off work for 2 1/2 months due to crash myslef and my lil bro managed to get the road succesfully...

heres some images of the car when i got it ...

as you can see it needed a bit of work, so my bro n i set too and went to the scrapyard... bought full side off glass, due to the original lot being scratched.... whilst at the scrappy a few bits fellinto my bag... and through donations from the a golf my uncle was scrapping i collected single grill (i know its in the pictures - have twin on atm) spare dash buttons and blanks and panel for heater and lights,chrome door handle inserts, drivers door trim which was missing, and the panel thingys that go round door handle(non rusty ones) etc.
The interior was immaculate, but im still finding glass whenever i hoover, as a new windscreen was put in when i bough the car.

There was a tape player in the car when i got it... one of these suitcase sized ones where the front doesn't come off so my headunit went in from my old car. so at this point i was still signed off work, so i spent most days shopping and polishing the golf... my dog always helped!

RESULTS

So i removed the driver badge from the front altho that is kickin about in the glove box along with dhash buttons, and bits, and i spent ages polishing the wax from the boot seals so it went away and polishin hte marks on the doors where the rusty handle things had left marks... now all shiny!! thank god for free autoglym!! (altho rob not workin there anymore)

My first main cosmetic buy for the car were my alloys... still on 14's mind but they made a change from my steelies which were rusty (that reminds me i'm guna sort them out soon...maybe rob will...) and i bought these for a bargain with tyres (all 5)

My next port of call was to get a lay flat rear wiper... its flat and works, just water don't come out... hmm.. didn't do that right...

This image shows where the dents were on the car when i go it.. the arrows show the dents and they were identical on both sided of the car, where as the circle shows paintwork damage.. scratches n a few small dents. Initiall i had a dent man come round and he cudn't remove them so i knew i'd need new doors...

so after a trip to the scrappy and coming back £100 lighter with myself and rob in the car, and 2 rear doors (correct colour) and a set of big bumpers n fixing brackets was like e38 all over again...

A lot of "kaffuffle" later and a lot of stupid comments from me (after rob told me to hold the door and left me stood holding it when it was fastened to teh car... idiot! :laugh:)we have the new doors on the car with correct door cards and handles and everything  :smiley: and a very happy me!

Offline [han]

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 27 November 2005, 18:25 »
so i'm vey happy with ym golf but i had neglected it... and i admit it.. i was a bad golf owner... and i say WAS... i been tryin very hard (and i'm very trying at times)

Dad asked when i last checked my tyres... i lied and said a feww weeks ago.... i'd never done it!!!  :sad: so on the way home from uni me n jess called at tescos (nextdoor to uni) to fill up tyres (jess doesn't drive)

Jess ^^^^^^

so we pull up at the pump thingy and then i get out to look at the sticker on the door to tell me what to do...
PROBLEM 1 - the damn thing is german... so i see a loada numbers and try ringing loada people to ask what the hell it means... get thru to my cousin and he tells me to put 29 psi in... so we put 29 into the machine after spending 2 minutes figurin out how it works... (it was dark) so we set to
PROBLEM 2 - can't get the valve caps off... so we ask this bloke to do it for us... ::batted our eyelashes::
Tyres filled (theres was 13 in one of my tuyres :shocked:) and we're on our way home... cars been playin up cos of the knacked carb, but its runnin ok-ish.

Well.. as for those lights on the dash... when they come on i guess you're supposed to check teh car and stuff.. well i had lights on the car and it kept cutting out but i daren't ask what they were so i drove about regardless... finally got sorted when i was speaking to my boss at work and he told me my radiator was empty so i needed to top it up with coolant... (never guess i work in a car shop) so he told me to top up with coolant... cos there was some water in there but not what there should be.. so to cut it short i overfilled my radiator, and topped up my brake fluid, washer bottle, and sorted my oil... clever me, and did that all on meown... first thing i've ever done on me own!! :laugh:

Ok guys not the most exciting of starts.. but i got some plans... teehee...
(jobs to do)
Replace main beam lamp due it being cracked,
new accelerator cable
new clutch and release bearing
and a good service... (me n the haynes)

thats all for now.... :kiss:

Offline [han]

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 28 November 2005, 19:52 »
accelerator cable is done and on, and it cost me £15 - my lil bro's got some cheek!

anyway, been out for a drive and it feels great... even seems nippier!! then again it was totally knacked! pics to follow if possible!

Offline [han]

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 14 December 2005, 19:38 »
off to see a man about a dog on monday... well a carb....

will let ya all know! :wink:

Offline [han]

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 17 December 2005, 18:53 »
ok, so monay ain't goin ahead anymroe, so im guna have a go at servicing some bits myself... await the problem and whoops threads on monday!!!  :rolleyes:

Offline [han]

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 03 January 2006, 08:49 »
Been away for the new year, so the cars been stood for a while.. so i thought.... my lil bro had taken the care out for a spin... (no insurance or anything) as he text me to tell me he'd "bumped" it! So as you can imagine i was less than impressed!
Turns out its onyl a small scratch on the small bumpers, but i have big bumpers ready to go on soon!  :wink: so its not that much of a problem! Altho i did shout when i got home! :rolleyes:

We Have managed to narrow down the problems with initial running down to the carb.. my first suspicion, but my dad being the man he is, wudn't let me get a new one... now he's been proved wrong a new carb is on the cards... :smiley: Man am i happy!

Han :kiss:

Offline [han]

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 13 January 2006, 23:03 »
ok guys, my lil bro cleaned up my carb and things r runnin a lot better. But at the mo tings are all on hold.
I've suffered with epilepsy for years and it was all under control with medication, but because it was making me put on a bit of weight i persuaded doctors to change medication, to cut a long story short, if i have any more fits in t he near future i will have to givev my license back v. reluctantly to DVLA.  :cry: so here to hopin i can carry on with the dub!

Offline [han]

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 04 February 2006, 21:09 »
Ok guys.. here goes.. an update for you!

So i treated the car to a full tank of fuel, checked the water and everything under the bonnet, been done atleast once a week, so i can keep on top of it... quite proud of myself! - and i didn't flood the radiator again!!

So car was/is running really well. Although the cars been sat on the drive since thursday, still having ususal problems with carb, but a lot better now i warm i up before setting off! But its one problem after another! Clutch has started slipping, but because my little brother owes me a lot of money he's said he's fitting a new one this weekend with the help of his mechanic mates for me. his treat. I'm still waiting for my bumpers to be sprayed to match the car, but thinking of getting it done by someone else as i bought bumpers months ago!  :angry:

had a row with a bloke outside work as i watched him tryint o get his big bmw out of a crap space which he dorve into and then straightened up behind a bus shelter , then when i t came to reverse out he cudn't do it, and hence him hitting my wheel which was turned tot eh side so i could easily drive out of the space opposit work. (there are no spaces lined ont eh ground - but i think you all know what twits in bmw's are like!)
so after ten mins of rowing over the fact that he said my VW was crap compared to his bmw company car, he's fookin lucky he didn't knock my tracking out or something.. cos i dunno wot it could do...

Both rear springs are knacked too... im scrubbing on 14's! argh! its not good.. think a wheel bearing is going too, but i only hear the sqqeak whenmy blowers are on 1!

Speaking of blowers.. must go hit mk2 section on hoe to figure out what my blowers r doin.. they're no longer hot, bu i dunno what it could be...

need some new car mats as i can't find anything i like, and the *cough* Ripspeed ones my bro bought me a last christmas are abs knackered because i drive in heels.

Looking into new wheels atm, although i've got a good deal on sandblasting and powder coating my steelies, £20 - £25 a wheel!  :grin: :grin: :grin:

so teh zandvoorts will be for sale shortly, full set of 5 with vw centrr cap things, £60!

Created a new signature (see below!) and spent a night with my mate while she did my nails and hair... new hair

Been gettin taxed on emergency tax code since october at work, so waiting on my re-imbursement at the end of this month, then it looks like when the insurance money arrives i'll have a cab on my drive, and the mk2 will be sold with a enw clutch, full set of tyres, new acc cable, immac interior apart from glitter on inside carpet - stuck! and a polish mark on rear seat - my bad!

han xx  :kiss:

Offline [han]

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 05 February 2006, 16:57 »
oh yeah... my drivers seatbelt squeels when u pull it... and i dunno how to sort it,

i've got a bent front splitter.... i went off roading....

and clutch not done,  :angry: