Author Topic: 40K Miles and first major warranty work...  (Read 3778 times)

Offline corgi

• I live here
40K Miles and first major warranty work...
« on: 21 March 2016, 09:03 »
So, 40K miles arrives and the car develops a squeaky-groan come rattle from, I thought, the front suspension.

Car booked into the dealers last Wednesday... I should get the car back today.

Initially,they diagnosed a failed top bearing in the front strut... Duly replaced but there was still a noise... this time from the rear... new rear dampers are being fitted today. Also, the lease company are paying for new discs and pads on the rear due to corrosion. Bear in mind there is still plenty of meat on both front and rear pads...

Not good for a 26 month old car... and only 40K miles. Its not like it gets a particularly hard life...

To be fair to the dealership, they've kept me informed every day...

Carbon Grey Metallic, GTD 3 Door Manual, Dynaudio and Advanced Phone Prep
In the Garage: 2010 Jaguar XKR 5.0 Supercharged Convertible replaced 2004 911 (996) Carrera 4S Cabriolet (15/3/15)

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
Re: 40K Miles and first major warranty work...
« Reply #1 on: 23 March 2016, 23:17 »
Problem with rear brakes is underuse, on past service (#4) dealer ear marked them as needing replacement. Some spirited braking and at last service (#5 - 90k or thereabouts) they were okish again.... At 99k now and all brakes still first from factory.
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #2 on: 25 March 2016, 11:22 »
I wouldn't call 40k in 26 months "underuse" though. Yes, some people on here seem to spend more time looking at their car than driving it, but the OP here is doing 18k PA, which is more than "average" 14k.

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 25 March 2016, 18:00 »
Some people use their brakes more than others:-

Some people brake hard and late, often.

Some people anticipate the road ahead and use their momentum to slow the car well in advance of getting to a roundabout/junction etc with much less use of the brakes.

Some people do lots of motorway miles and anticipate the road ahead well, again using the brakes much less often than the first scenario.

I fall into the second above category. I had a Polo many years ago with excessive corrosion on the rear discs through less than average braking use.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline davewilliams000

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 25 March 2016, 18:58 »
I usually find a good hard press on the throttle pedal means applying the brakes a short time later before the car gets to silly speeds! :shocked:
2015 65 plate Mk7 GTD Manual in Tornado Red

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davewilliams000