Author Topic: A big GTD decision  (Read 6690 times)

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
Re: A big GTD decision
« Reply #10 on: 26 March 2015, 12:09 »
Without S&S you will still get a noise from the soundaktor which is inside the cabin.

With S&S you get the same noise as above but also a noise outside which gives the car a fair old growl. This is achieved by having a speaker in the exhaust. For me its really addictive when accelerating. That noise also leaks into the cabin so I believe it will sound different from a car with just the soundaktor.

You need to drive a car without the S&S and if it still sounds the same for you then there's your question answered.

If you don't test drive one without the S&S and order the cheaper car, you will always get in the car and have regrets.

HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline ffrank

• Here all the time
« Reply #11 on: 26 March 2015, 12:30 »
You've got VCDS p3asa haven't you mate? Just wondering if you've tried turning the soundaktor to 0%, as I have wondered how much it is is actually used when you have S&S fitted?

Agreed on the above Peter - worth trying a car without if you can.

15 weeks for a factory car seems quite quick too?

Although they are giving you £400 extra for a trade in today, you will be starting depreciation on the GTD sooner, so it might be a closer run thing financially?

If you ordered from DTD it would save you well over £1000 on the dealer's price for factory. 8% isn't a bad deal for walking into a local dealer (mine wouldn't even do 5%!) but it's still not 12.2%!

As you said it's a fantastic car (still puts a smile on my face 1 year in), but it's definitely worth getting the spec you want unless other factors make the compromise worth it. My wife just bought a Polo and we ended up getting one at a weeks notice, which meant she didn't get the options she wanted (like winter pack), but her current car is becoming so unreliable it was no brainer. Plus she still got an 18% discount, polo discounts eh!

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 26 March 2015, 12:42 »
Yeah ffrank I have and its one of those "To do" jobs but I've often wondered whether mine is actually on or not as most of my growl is definitely from outside.
I have to turn my Sport setting off when leaving the house before 7am as I feel its too loud for that time of the morning  :laugh:
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline ffrank

• Here all the time
« Reply #13 on: 26 March 2015, 13:00 »
Ha, that would be good when you get to try it. My suspicion is that for S&S it is .... off. But it's hard to tell with all that good growl.

I like to blip the accelerator when parking at the end of the day to announce my arrival :D

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 26 March 2015, 13:31 »
Push for a bigger discount on the stock car to make the gap much wider? They have the car right now and a tempted customer so see what they can do. Worst case, you are disappointed at your choice - buy an aftermarket exhaust!  :tongue:
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline PeterWynne

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 26 March 2015, 14:06 »
I've made the decision - am happy to take the instock car given what you guys have said.
My current Seat Altea is pushing 100k miles - I'm in fear of something dramatic happening if I hold off much longer.

I'll push for further discount on the stock car & see how we fair.. Could be driving it on Monday if negotiations go to plan!

Offline ffrank

• Here all the time
« Reply #16 on: 26 March 2015, 14:37 »
Peace of mind definitely has a price when it comes to cars! Sounds a good call, and good idea to shoot for more discount even - it's nearly the end of March which should help! It's a brilliant car either way.

Offline phazer

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #17 on: 26 March 2015, 18:44 »
Ha, that would be good when you get to try it. My suspicion is that for S&S it is .... off. But it's hard to tell with all that good growl.

I like to blip the accelerator when parking at the end of the day to announce my arrival :D

That's my suspicion too, there's certainly none of the noise up front you get on a non S&S GTD.

lol it is pretty noisy when parking! Having driven both, the S&S sounds different to the non even in normal mode. I'm convinced that's due to the straight through exhaust.

For the £250 it cost I'd do it every time. Nearly two grand? I'd buy the petrol ;)

Offline PeterWynne

• Not said much yet
« Reply #18 on: 27 March 2015, 19:01 »
So I managed to get him to throw in mudflaps in too. I'm well pleased. The salesman sent me a video last week - thanking me for visiting etc.

He then sent me another video this morning of my car, did a wee tour of it - all round and a peek inside. Here is a screen capture from the video. The video was a little on the cheesey side - but defo does make me want it more. Has anyone else experienced this salesman video technique?!

Offline Cossieian

• Here all the time
« Reply #19 on: 27 March 2015, 20:09 »
Yea when we purchased our car and had to wait a week to collect it he sent us a video of it up on the ramp in the workshop getting all the usual checks done, as you say it was a tiny bit cheesy but I was really impressed tbh, just shows that something so little can make the buying experience that little bit nicer :smiley:

PS car looks Ace mate :cool:
Current: MK7 Golf R (Limestone Grey) DSG, 19 Prets, Winter Pack, Rear Camera, High Beam Assist, Apple Connect, Gloss Black Mirrors
Gone: MK7 Golf R (Tornado Red) DSG, Winter Pack, Keyless, Gloss Black Mirrors
Gone: MK7 Golf GTD (Pure White)