Author Topic: Auxiliary Heater  (Read 5755 times)

Offline chazzypuk

• GTI forum regular
Auxiliary Heater
« on: 23 January 2015, 22:33 »
Hi guys,

I know there has been a few threads on the forum before about the auxiliary heater but I just wanted to know if any of you have noticed any warm air from a cold start? Mine is switched on in the air con settings but it doesn't seem to get warm quickly at all. Do we have to turn off the air-con (Leaving climate to auto) etc for it to work?

Cheers,
Golf GTD Mk7 3dr Manual, Pure White, Adaptive Chassis Control, Panoramic roof, Discover Pro Nav, Keyless entry, Dynaudio, Park assist, High beam assist, Leather pack, Service Pack.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: Auxiliary Heater
« Reply #1 on: 24 January 2015, 07:21 »
I leave mine on auto all the time (can't see the point in having it if it's going to be turned off) and warm air is through in about 2 mins.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #2 on: 24 January 2015, 08:25 »
I leave mine on auto all the time (can't see the point in having it if it's going to be turned off) and warm air is through in about 2 mins.

Exactly.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Mark V GTD

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 25 January 2015, 00:13 »
You need air con switched on for it to work (once the box is ticked in the set up menu).

Offline Derv_Driver

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 11 March 2015, 19:47 »
I'm sure you don't need the AC on for it to work. But you do need to make sure your not in ECO mode and I think it needs to be 4 degrees or lower outside. You will know it's working as the idle increases and the consumption drops. I get warmish air within a couple of minutes.

Offline Mark V GTD

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 12 March 2015, 09:09 »
You did on the Mk.6 but maybe just having the box ticked on the Mk.7 is enough to switch it on now.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #6 on: 12 March 2015, 15:18 »
Has anyone ever noticed any increased mileage from ECO mode....ever?

I suppose it might with its snail paced ACC acceleration, but other than that...???

I certainly quickly learnt it doesnt save me a penny!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 12 March 2015, 18:53 »
I don't use eco ever (it is the least economical mode if you are driving any way but as if you had the Pope being towed on a bulletproof bubble), and in this weather I leave my climate on 16C at all times. From cold, the auxillary heater is pushing warm air through instantly - but only at low speeds (2 or 3 bars). It seems taht the auxillary heater only has the capacity to heat a small amount of air on it's own.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Mark V GTD

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 13 March 2015, 17:04 »
Has anyone ever noticed any increased mileage from ECO mode....ever?
All the reports I have read claimed mileage was worse in ECO mode and that SPORT was much better - personally I have never tried it - cannot see the point of such a feature in a 'performance' car....

Offline corgi

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 17 March 2015, 16:34 »
ECO is badly named... it just softens the throttle, so you need larger movement of the peddle for the same effect.

I do use ECO when on the motorway when in cruise... it seems slightly better, perhaps 2%.

I reckon ECO would be useful in slippery/snowy conditions when being able to caress the throttle is useful...

Carbon Grey Metallic, GTD 3 Door Manual, Dynaudio and Advanced Phone Prep
In the Garage: 2010 Jaguar XKR 5.0 Supercharged Convertible replaced 2004 911 (996) Carrera 4S Cabriolet (15/3/15)