Author Topic: Best Winter Tyres for GTD 18" or change to 17"s - comments/ experience anyone?  (Read 10455 times)

Offline phope

• I live here
Does the GTD need 17" or 16" wheels to clear the brakes?
Golf Mk8 R order cancelled...awaiting company car instead
Tiguan 1.5 Elegance for the wife & dogs
Skoda 1.5 SEL cheap lease special

Offline runningman35

• Not said much yet
Hi Phope,

Been into the local dealers on Friday to get my Key Fob refitted with the GTD End Cap as didn't have the Torx screw driver to fit, and apparently neither did the supplying dealer?

Anyway, asked about what VW recommend on the GTD specifically for Winter Tyres. The official word apparently is that 17" is the default size and 16" will not fit properly and don't seem to be an option supported by third party package suppliers either for the specific car model. I was told to new winter tyre and wheel package is likely to be officially released by end of October/start of November by VW dealers and to call back in a couple of weeks to find out more.

My car is a lease car through employer and they have a mobile fitting agreement with Kwik Fit and expect me to contact them to change tyres and not allowed to change wheels or invalidate the insurance according to the helpline advice I received on Friday? Can't understand why 18 or 19" wheels being allowed as options on company cars and then insisting on going down a preferred supplier route to Winter Tyres and no flexibility on reducing diameter of wheels which undermines the whole point in preparing for winter adequately, as low profile, wide aspect ratio tyres winter or not, will always perform a lot worse than narrower aspect ratio, taller profile ones.

Not sure what to do now and will get advice from senior colleagues?  :undecided:
Current: Mk7.5 GTI PP DSG 3 Dr, DB Pearl, Brescia 19”, Dynaudio Excite, Art Velour SS, DCC

Previous: Mk7 GTD 5 dr, TR, Basic NAV, Dynaudio, ACC, Winter Pack, Sport & Sound Pack, Heated W/screen, Advanced Tel Pack

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
Have a look what is the original fitment for VW for the GTD in terms of winter tyres (and you'll see it's a smaller wheel).

UK insurances are f**king stupid in my opinion.... I cannot get winter tyres because 'our insurance premiums will go up' as they count it as a 'mod'. Sure... driving with my summer tyres in winter is safe  :shocked:

Personally I'd go for 16" and a set of 205 Nokian WR D3 tyres (instead of the 225 17" tyres).
Though KwikFit don't do Nokian tyres... you aren't with Leaseplan by any chance?
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Someone posted on a forum which insurance companies will charge extra for winter wheels but I can't find it. Majority don't charge now but it's always worth asking. As for vw dealer saying 16's won't fit unfortunately they are talking complete bull s4it. The official vw winter package is 16”steel wheels with the exception being for pp gti's as they have slightly bigger discs.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Andy_cs

Have a look at

https://www.abi.org.uk/Insurance-and-savings/Products/Motor-insurance/Winter-tyres

regarding insurance companies and their position re Winter tyres.

16" wheels fit but they look a bit rubbish, 17" definitely look better. In terms of performance the wheel diameter makes no difference, the tyre width is the key factor, narrower is better so something like a 205/50 on a 17" rim gives a good balance in terms of performance in winter/non winter but cold weather performance

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Who cares if they look rubbish its functionality you want not prizes for beauty!!

Andy_cs

Who cares if they look rubbish its functionality you want not prizes for beauty!!

I certainly do, especially when there's no need

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
If this warm autumnal weather lasts much longer, the prices of winter tyres should tumble.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict

No need for what?

Andy_cs

No need for what?

Doh. If your happy with 16" wheels then go for them but don't suggest you can't have beauty and functionality and the same time