Author Topic: Anyone else had this?!  (Read 6943 times)

Offline dippy_x

• I live here
Re: Anyone else had this?!
« Reply #10 on: 25 July 2014, 16:19 »
I too have this.  Glad it isnt just me.  Some morning starts as normal.  Others the engine noticably turns for a few seconds more.  Not enough to be mega worried about but enough to notice.
On Order: 02/05/13
GTD: Carbon Grey, Winter Pack, Keyless, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera, Furry Dice
Collected: 06/11/13

Offline TheCarMadDad

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11 on: 28 July 2014, 16:14 »
Just a quick update...

So this is starting to happen frequently now, but only when the engine is left to go stone cold (overnight). Anyhow, after reading on this thread, instead of starting the car straight away when I get in, I press the start button so that just the ignition comes on, then wait 5 secs or so and start up as normal and the problem disappears and starts as normal.
2014 Mk7 Golf GTD 5dr | Tornado Red | Keyless Entry | Climate Comfort Screen > Which means I also have the ATP. Also fitted with DTUK Stage 2 box ...Loving every second behind the wheel!

Previous...
2008 Toyota Prius T Spirit (fastest 0-15mph car I have ever owned :p )
2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SW
2003 Lexus IS300
2002 Seat Leon Cupra R

Offline phazer

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #12 on: 28 July 2014, 17:56 »
It'll just be the glow plugs then. On my Audi, the glow plug dash icon lights up when you turn the ignition on, you wait until it goes out before starting. It takes longer the colder the engine/weather. If you try and start before it goes out the engine can turn over several times before firing.

Sounds normal to me for a diesel, though given the weather I'm surprised it's got cold enough for the glow plugs to need a bit of time!

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 28 July 2014, 18:49 »
It'll just be the glow plugs then. On my Audi, the glow plug dash icon lights up when you turn the ignition on, you wait until it goes out before starting. It takes longer the colder the engine/weather. If you try and start before it goes out the engine can turn over several times before firing.

Sounds normal to me for a diesel, though given the weather I'm surprised it's got cold enough for the glow plugs to need a bit of time!

I've tried waiting for the glowplug light to go out and it still takes 4s to turn over most of the time. Shouldn't even need glowplug assistance above 5C ambient temp.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline phazer

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #14 on: 28 July 2014, 20:09 »
I've tried waiting for the glowplug light to go out and it still takes 4s to turn over most of the time. Shouldn't even need glowplug assistance above 5C ambient temp.

Hmm strange, not had the same with our GTD, and yes it shouldn't have been cold enough. Did either of you try without the box to see if that's a cause?

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 28 July 2014, 20:12 »
It should be set up the way My Audi A1 is.

When you get in and turn the key to fire it up, nothing happens. It automatically waits till the glow plugs are ready before it starts.

I've seen me in the winter turn the key then being able to grab my seat belt before it actually starts. The first few times you do it, you actually think there is a fault.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline dippy_x

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 28 July 2014, 20:55 »
Don't known about any of the other guys but I'm not talking about the time it takes from pressing the button to the engine beginning to turn / start.  I'm referring to the number of times the engine turns while starting.  Sometimes it is noticeably longer.  Kind of along the lines of what you would expect when you have a problem with the starter/alternator but obviously not as bad.
On Order: 02/05/13
GTD: Carbon Grey, Winter Pack, Keyless, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera, Furry Dice
Collected: 06/11/13

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 28 July 2014, 21:15 »
Don't known about any of the other guys but I'm not talking about the time it takes from pressing the button to the engine beginning to turn / start.  I'm referring to the number of times the engine turns while starting.  Sometimes it is noticeably longer.  Kind of along the lines of what you would expect when you have a problem with the starter/alternator but obviously not as bad.

I'm talking about actual turn-over time too from when the starter motor turns the car to when it splutters into life. It's not my box either, tried it with and without. Seems to happen on a really warm morning.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline TheCarMadDad

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #18 on: 28 July 2014, 22:01 »
Yup, same as monkey and the others, I'm talking about the time it takes to turn over not how long before the glow plugs have warmed. There doesn't seem to be any pattern at the moment apart from first thing in the morning. Will just have to monitor it, for now at least turning the ignition on then starting the engine seems to work
2014 Mk7 Golf GTD 5dr | Tornado Red | Keyless Entry | Climate Comfort Screen > Which means I also have the ATP. Also fitted with DTUK Stage 2 box ...Loving every second behind the wheel!

Previous...
2008 Toyota Prius T Spirit (fastest 0-15mph car I have ever owned :p )
2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SW
2003 Lexus IS300
2002 Seat Leon Cupra R

Offline SNR

• Not said much yet
« Reply #19 on: 31 October 2014, 08:36 »
Mine has been doing it fairly regularly in the morning as it's turned cooler. 16k miles. Not far off a service so will mention it then!