Author Topic: Anyone else had this?!  (Read 6944 times)

Offline TheCarMadDad

• GTI forum regular
Anyone else had this?!
« on: 24 July 2014, 06:01 »
So this morning, I went to start my car as normal. But instead of it turning over normally and starting within a second or so, it really really struggled today. It took about 4 seconds to start and then an error with the stop/start came up.

I turned the car off and then started it back up and everything was fine. It was very strange. The only couple of things I thought may have caused the issue are 1) the installation of my DTUK box, or 2) my 'spirited' drive late last night.

Anyone else had similar?!
2014 Mk7 Golf GTD 5dr | Tornado Red | Keyless Entry | Climate Comfort Screen > Which means I also have the ATP. Also fitted with DTUK Stage 2 box ...Loving every second behind the wheel!

Previous...
2008 Toyota Prius T Spirit (fastest 0-15mph car I have ever owned :p )
2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SW
2003 Lexus IS300
2002 Seat Leon Cupra R

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
Re: Anyone else had this?!
« Reply #1 on: 24 July 2014, 09:17 »
Not had the Start Stop warning, but from day one, I've noticed my GTD (from cold) takes a few seconds to turn over before firing. When it's warm it's instant.

I found that (as I have keyless), that pressing the start button (without pressing the brake pedal), switches on the ignition and hence the glow plugs, and then as soon as the needle sweep has finished, I then press the brake pedal re-press the start button and the car starts immediately, so don't know if if just needs a few seconds for the electronics to sort themselves out ?
« Last Edit: 24 July 2014, 09:20 by Sootchucker »
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline KyleB

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 24 July 2014, 11:11 »
I've had this a couple of times, can't see any pattern to it.

Offline C2K

• Here all the time
  • Northern Monkey
« Reply #3 on: 24 July 2014, 13:53 »
I've had it once or twice where it's turned over for a couple of secs max (as in much more than the usual two turns), but can't say 4 or 5 secs.

Had you moved it a short distance?
5 Door Night Blue GTD
Dynaudio, 19" Santiago Alloys, Adaptive Chassis, Leather Pack, Winter Pack, Reverse Camera.

Bianca White 306 Rallye (Supercharged + Caged) : Melting Silver F54 Mini Clubman Cooper S

Offline TheCarMadDad

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 24 July 2014, 15:52 »
Thanks for the replies.

I didn't move it, all that happened was my usual commute home last night with a bit of spirited driving. Parked it up, went to bed, woke up, went to start and that's about it. My fuel light has just come on, not sure if that makes a difference or not :/
2014 Mk7 Golf GTD 5dr | Tornado Red | Keyless Entry | Climate Comfort Screen > Which means I also have the ATP. Also fitted with DTUK Stage 2 box ...Loving every second behind the wheel!

Previous...
2003 Lexus IS300
2002 Seat Leon Cupra R

Offline TheCarMadDad

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 25 July 2014, 10:23 »
Happened again this morning :-(

Previous...
2003 Lexus IS300
2002 Seat Leon Cupra R

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 25 July 2014, 11:05 »
Mine has been taking 4s to turn over this past week from cold on a morning. DTUK.Box coming off in 10 days time for my service, I will let you know if that changes things.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline KyleB

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 25 July 2014, 14:56 »
I wouldn't say it's the DTUK box. Mine did it this morning too and my car is standard.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 25 July 2014, 15:29 »
I didn't hink it would be the DTUK box as it doesn't modify throttle response at the bottom (idling) end. Wonder whether it's an aircon thing? Have aircon on the journey before, forget to switch it off and car will take longer to turn over next cold start?
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline corgi

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 25 July 2014, 15:56 »
I never turn the climate control off and I have never experienced an unusually long startup...

Carbon Grey Metallic, GTD 3 Door Manual, Dynaudio and Advanced Phone Prep
In the Garage: 2010 Jaguar XKR 5.0 Supercharged Convertible replaced 2004 911 (996) Carrera 4S Cabriolet (15/3/15)