Author Topic: 1.6 Misfire, proving to be bastard  (Read 1161 times)

Offline Bellend

• I live here
1.6 Misfire, proving to be bastard
« on: 07 January 2012, 18:31 »
So this Golf I've bought was misfiring. New leads and it's miles better, there was a chunk of HT lead missing on cylinder 2.

Well it's not completely gone. At exactly 2K to 3.5K it misfires and then picks up. It is hesitant at 4-5k but this goes when the MAF is unplugged. It idles better when the MAF is unplugged also. But TBH I don't want to put a MAF on it ATM.

I've had the engine in bits. There is no air leak. If you do disconnect an air pipe the idle is roughn and as low as hell and the engine really struggles.

Fault codes were G62 temp sensor, MAF circuit open and Lamda and also Idle speed regulation.

Cleared and the idle speed comes back on if the MAF is plugged in, idles dodgy. Now I can't decide what to replace. VW have looked at it and they said it needs a MAF. Then said start at the coil for the misfire.

There is no MAF fault code or injector codes. I'm wondering if it is an injector. None of the local mechanics I know know exactly what it is they have all just said start changing things starting with the cheapest.

I've changed the FPR as I had one with no effect.

What would you change first, other then the MAF. As I said I'm not too bothered by that ATM. There is obviously the view that COULD be causing the misfire but no change disconnected or connected. Or would you say just change it with a second hand one?

Thinking coil, injectors, MAF, fuel rail etc.

Where all my moneys went.

Golf MK3 1.6. Golf MK3 8v GTI.

Offline Steve_PD

• Serious forum addict
  • Cruising around in a Land Cruiser
I often wonder why people never expect sarcastic comments from me - they're the only reason I speak...

Offline Bellend

• I live here
Re: 1.6 Misfire, proving to be fatherless son
« Reply #2 on: 07 January 2012, 18:42 »
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=94783.0

Yeah cheers but we don't think a new MAF is going to solve the misfire. It will certainly make the idle correct but it's idling fine with it disconnected.

Offline Steve_PD

• Serious forum addict
  • Cruising around in a Land Cruiser
« Reply #3 on: 07 January 2012, 18:45 »
No but its half your problem
I often wonder why people never expect sarcastic comments from me - they're the only reason I speak...

Offline Bellend

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 07 January 2012, 19:02 »
No but its half your problem

Very true but it's the other half I want to solve.  :laugh: