Author Topic: Tyres on the GTi  (Read 8742 times)

Offline gossa

• I live here
Re: Tyres on the GTi
« Reply #20 on: 20 November 2009, 21:43 »
Well I've done 7.5K and they are still fine, my car was the first Revo'd to 270 and not many cars overtake me and I mainly drive on fast twistie back roads. If these tyres underperformed I would feel it. I've driven on many other brand on may different cars (3 series, A4, Scirocco, Mk4 GTI etc) and these are as good as most and better than the P Zero's on the roc.

Proofs in the pudding, the tyres are fine and you guys are putting the willies up anyone who has them unfairly.

Did it occur to you guys that if Dunlops have been slated for years on the MK5's then they might have just made them better?

Offline mac7

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 20 November 2009, 22:37 »
Although there is some sense in what you wrote there. Pop over to the mk5 board and type in Dunlop Sportmaxx and read what people who have been using them for a few years on a car (cover you ears kev) virtually identical to the MK6 say about them. The proof is in the pudding... poor quality tyre*.

*this doesnt apply if you just poodle along but drive the GTI as its meant to be, it's hard to trust them.

Yeah, I've read T_T's public service safety bulletins - the man is entited to his opinions  :grin:

I'm not saying the Dunlops are a good tyre, because I don't think they are. But for the majority of people who drive their cars well within the limits of adhesion they are perfectly adequate - and I don't think those people need to be given the impression they are driving a death trap because it's fitted with Dunlops. I've come across the uneven circumferential wear (50p-shaped tyres) before on other tyre brands and this can be a result of overheated tread blocks due to under-inflation.
Golf R

Offline Saint Steve

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 20 November 2009, 22:47 »
Well I've done 7.5K and they are still fine, my car was the first Revo'd to 270 and not many cars overtake me and I mainly drive on fast twistie back roads. If these tyres underperformed I would feel it. I've driven on many other brand on may different cars (3 series, A4, Scirocco, Mk4 GTI etc) and these are as good as most and better than the P Zero's on the roc.

Proofs in the pudding, the tyres are fine and you guys are putting the willies up anyone who has them unfairly.

Did it occur to you guys that if Dunlops have been slated for years on the MK5's then they might have just made them better?
To be fair Gossa, i bet you havent driven another Mk6 Gti to tell the difference. Different makes, cannot be compared too. MK5 and 6 are comparable.

If you like them thats fine, but Dunlop havent improved their tyres from a mk5 to a 6, the tyre compound is WEAK, so how can the Mk6 make any difference??

and yes R32uk, i did have these tyres, and they are truelly shocking the dunlops.Like i said, they are fine, but once over half worn, they make the car Sound like its rolling on Rusty wheel bearings!
« Last Edit: 20 November 2009, 22:54 by Phil Mcavity »

Offline Saint Steve

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 20 November 2009, 22:57 »
Although there is some sense in what you wrote there. Pop over to the mk5 board and type in Dunlop Sportmaxx and read what people who have been using them for a few years on a car (cover you ears kev) virtually identical to the MK6 say about them. The proof is in the pudding... poor quality tyre*.

*this doesnt apply if you just poodle along but drive the GTI as its meant to be, it's hard to trust them.

But for the majority of people who drive their cars well within the limits of adhesion they are perfectly adequate - and I don't think those people need to be given the impression they are driving a death trap because it's fitted with Dunlops.

Im not a Race driver, but i prefer to sit in a car, drive it and be able to have a conversation with the person next to me without having to shout over the drone coming from those Tyres!

They are perfectly ok and safe to use, you can spend your money on much better rubber for alot less, thats all.
« Last Edit: 20 November 2009, 22:59 by Phil Mcavity »

Offline mac7

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 20 November 2009, 23:27 »
They deform badly accross the tread (Like a 20p shape) and will be noisey or Give a very bad droning sound in the cabin (especially from the Rears).Will make you think your wheel bearings are rumbling.

Come to think of it, I had a Skoda Octavia VRS company car for 3 months last year and that had Sportmaxx tyres on and suffered from a droning similar to a wheel bearing - which disappeared when the rear tyres were replaced... so perhaps I stand corrected.
Golf R

Offline VWKev

• I live here
  • Please Support Non-Human Rights
« Reply #25 on: 20 November 2009, 23:27 »
phil, fix your sig it's bugging me, I always see it.

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"

Offline Saint Steve

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 21 November 2009, 06:33 »
^^^^ Mk5 's a future classic kev  :wink:

Offline Saint Steve

• I live here
« Reply #27 on: 21 November 2009, 06:34 »

In so many words. Tough  :grin:

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #28 on: 21 November 2009, 10:56 »
Only if unmodified  :evil:
« Last Edit: 21 November 2009, 10:58 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #29 on: 21 November 2009, 11:06 »

Yeah, I've read T_T's public service safety bulletins - the man is entited to his opinions  :grin:

I'm not saying the Dunlops are a good tyre, because I don't think they are. But for the majority of people who drive their cars well within the limits of adhesion they are perfectly adequate - and I don't think those people need to be given the impression they are driving a death trap because it's fitted with Dunlops. I've come across the uneven circumferential wear (50p-shaped tyres) before on other tyre brands and this can be a result of overheated tread blocks due to under-inflation.

Like i said if you drive along normally then you probably wouldnt notice the difference.. but pushing them, they dont perform upto the standard I feel they should.. and this comes from driving lots of golfs, TDi, GTTDI, GTI, ED30, R32, MK6GTI. Like I said I didnt find much wrong with them until they were compared with other tyres. Certainly not dangerous... but I always push on with caution, something i dont feel you should have to do with a performance based car.