Author Topic: mk6 Golf v BMW 1-series  (Read 12281 times)

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed, ASK!
Re: mk6 Golf v BMW 1-series
« Reply #20 on: 06 September 2009, 15:32 »
But the BMW diesel engines are excellent.

Agreed - BMW diesels, especially their 6cyl diesels are excellent.  But their petrol engines are shyte - completely devoid of low and mid range torque.  And in 'real-world' everyday drving on public roads, BMWs are very poor in the handling department!  But some BMW owners/fanboys specticles are tinted a little too pink for an honest opinion!
Sean - Independent Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
-----
'06/7 Golf Mk5 GTI 5dr (BWA) DSG, colour coded,

I feel like a homo

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed, ASK!
« Reply #21 on: 06 September 2009, 15:35 »
Sean - Independent Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
-----
'06/7 Golf Mk5 GTI 5dr (BWA) DSG, colour coded,

I feel like a homo

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 06 September 2009, 17:28 »
my mum and dad have a 1 series as a courtesy car at the moment while their car is being fixed.  its a diesel and an m sport one.  what a piece of sh1t.  no word of a lie, the inside of a ford is less plastic.  v disappointed in it.  only good thing about it is the seats which gripped you in.  and that thing that turns the engine off when you're stationery is awful - waste of time.  v poor from bmw as their high end cars are awesome.  the 1 series is a waste of space.
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline jools

• Not said much yet
« Reply #23 on: 06 September 2009, 19:14 »
the 1 series is a waste of space.

Not as good an all round car as the Golf - but a waste of space?

Not according to this test!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqqtjvO7YZc&feature=related
« Last Edit: 06 September 2009, 19:20 by jools »

Offline Wurzel

• Here all the time
« Reply #24 on: 06 September 2009, 19:21 »
That Top Gear thing is fair enough, the BMW 130i is £4k more and doesnt have 4WD and has less space. But I still think the 1er is a decent car, I wouldnt go for the 130i though, you could almost get a Porsche Caymen for that money. The smaller diesels are pretty good, the 116d, 118d and 120d. The 116d is in the lowest road tax band it's emissions are less than 120g/km, and it still has decent performance.

But sure if you need the extra space the Golf's the logical choice.
1999 mk4 1.8 n/a AGN Silver Grey
***Looking for one 16 inch wheel, Montreal 2*** and a rear parcel shelf (without speaker holes!)

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #25 on: 06 September 2009, 20:13 »
the bmw defo wins it on interior quality over the mk5. Just had my cousin over and sat him in the mk6 and he said his next car would probably be the golf... matches his 120d m-sport for quality.

the only reason I looked at the 130i was you can pick them up for just over 10k... good value for a rwd stright 6 bmw.

Offline Wurzel

• Here all the time
« Reply #26 on: 06 September 2009, 20:25 »

the only reason I looked at the 130i was you can pick them up for just over 10k... good value for a rwd stright 6 bmw.

How many miles?

I would not even look at a 130i the fuel bill would be too much imo, sure you could drive it like a granny but then you may as well have the 116i. The diesels are the only option, the 123d has twin turbos.
***Looking for one 16 inch wheel, Montreal 2*** and a rear parcel shelf (without speaker holes!)

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #27 on: 06 September 2009, 20:38 »

How many miles?

I would not even look at a 130i the fuel bill would be too much imo, sure you could drive it like a granny but then you may as well have the 116i. The diesels are the only option, the 123d has twin turbos.

can find anything down at that price at the mo but something like..

http://www.pistonheads.com/SALES/1018934.htm

the equvalient R32 with same miles and spec would probably be quite a few quid more. I imagine the 3.0 bmw engine would be slightly more efficient than the 3.2 from vw also. :nerd:

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 06 September 2009, 20:44 »

i don't listen to critics.  its like watching a film, invariably i disagree with what some sweaty fat bloke in an office drinking coffee all day says.  like i say, i have nothing against beemers, i have been in a 320d (slow), a 330i (sweet) and a z4 (awesome) and always been impressed with the interior.  i was amazed how sh1te the 1 series was.  all personal preference but i wouldn't drive one if you paid me.  :laugh:
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline Wurzel

• Here all the time
« Reply #29 on: 06 September 2009, 21:56 »

i don't listen to critics.  its like watching a film, invariably i disagree with what some sweaty fat bloke in an office drinking coffee all day says.  like i say, i have nothing against beemers, i have been in a 320d (slow), a 330i (sweet) and a z4 (awesome) and always been impressed with the interior.  i was amazed how sh1te the 1 series was.  all personal preference but i wouldn't drive one if you paid me.  :laugh:

If you mean the interior is sh1te I tend to agree, the plastics seem a bit cheap. It is fairly well put together though.