Author Topic: building track car  (Read 10368 times)

Fielder5757

Re: building track car
« Reply #10 on: 18 October 2004, 02:04 »
Ask anyone who has stripped there car to the guts and they will all tell you, Its the best performance modification you could do short of dropping a Bigger motor in. Ive found that its not just the interiour you can strip, If you have big bumpers, Try getting under the motor, There will be a small metal plate at the front, Thats basically the front of the car on small bumper models, You can take this out and replace it with just a bar to keep it riged, You will find the same at the back too, The front wheels have mud catchers round them, These can be removed in seconds if your prepaired to cut them out. Also, Rims are an important way of lightning a car, OZ are the best performance rims if your on a budget, If your gonna be driving hard, Get the turismo or Superlegger multi spokes, As there gonna give you the supporting strenght.

Also, Invest in a 3 piece strut brace kit to make your car more ridged, Im waiting for mine to arive so ill give you some feedback on how they go.

Another thing i can recomend to you is the peddles, People say the halfords peddles are cheap boy racer tack, But ill never drive my car fast without them, There a real saver and reduce the travel time of your feet. A real must in my oppinion.

Carbon fiber should also become your new best friend ;) But if you cant afford it, Just take off your bonnit, takes 5 mins and reduces the waight a lot. Also, behind the grill you should find a small patch of plasic blocking off the part of the grill not covered by the radiator (if its a stock grill) Removing this works wonders for getting air to your Cone Filter if you have one.

Offline Adam-D

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11 on: 18 October 2004, 20:47 »
smashing

few things i didnt know there for stripping

cheers mate  :)

Offline Adam-D

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #12 on: 18 October 2004, 22:45 »
how low do i lower it by?

was 60mm on my corsa when i had it

dont know what would be best on a golf gti? 60mm on 15's?
with 50 profile tyres

Offline tallchap

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13 on: 21 October 2004, 16:12 »
Hi,

Fibreglass bonnet and boot are ?250 the pair.

I brought two sets from a chap that has made moulds from original VW panels. One set are for my trackday car and the others were for a mate - who has let me down....

The bonnet has been de-vented (i.e. it has no vents on the back edge) and the boot has been de-locked. Bonnet and boot require fitting with race-car-type pins & clips. Boot also requires plastic window. They also require painting, as they are in white 'gel-coat' (smooth fibreglass finish).

They are very, very light and give massive weight saving. Ideal for trackday cars!

Havn't found any others for sale in the shops, anywhere....

Give me a shout if your interested.

Martin.

Fielder5757

« Reply #14 on: 21 October 2004, 20:39 »
how low do i lower it by?

was 60mm on my corsa when i had it

dont know what would be best on a golf gti? 60mm on 15's?
with 50 profile tyres

Im down 40 on 15s with no rubbing, You could probally go down 60-70 with rolled arches on a Track car, Just make sure you have anti roll bars so your car doesnt bodyroll and scrape the front  ;)

Offline Adam-D

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #15 on: 22 October 2004, 11:03 »
i think 40 will be fine now ive read somthing gambit said  ;D

Offline adyh

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 27 October 2004, 14:49 »
Make sure your helmet has the gold motorbike association sticker on the back , ythat is the minimum standard to take a bike on the track and will probably apply in a car as well .

Offline Stu.750

• I live here
  • MMMMMMM Rust my favourite
« Reply #17 on: 06 January 2005, 21:01 »
Wahey Adam looks like were goin the same route, i picked up a mk2 8v for a massive 250 quid and its currently having its guts torn out , everythings gone so far , that includes the dash the heater the heater fan , all the seats , headlineing , before i took the heater was taken out i took it out for a blast with just the driver seat in , an daft as it seems you can feel the difference , never used to go up on 3 wheels , mines a super budget project but luckily ive got some access to some really good facilities , im surprised that not more people have mentioned brakes , one of the quickest ways to go faster is to stop later into a corner , dont know which one of the the golfs youve got but the 8v needs better stoppers
 maybe we should all sort a golfgti.co.uk track day out ??

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
  • Make friends with your fast
« Reply #18 on: 23 January 2005, 13:41 »
weld in a roll cage built from pipes. that way it'll save you loads of money over buying one and strengthen the car at the same time.
Mk4 Golf 150PD

Offline Adam-D

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #19 on: 26 April 2005, 10:54 »
gonna start doing some work to her in the coming months

bout damm time i think

also, id rather have a fia approved cage