Author Topic: The 1.8T Air box/Induction thread  (Read 27739 times)

Offline adam-

• Just got here
Re: The 1.8T Air box/Induction thread
« Reply #10 on: 09 June 2013, 15:38 »
I noticed this!

Drove home after work today and it's just so flat.  Once it's night time it's okay, air temp seems to make such a difference!

Offline Chris#101

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 09 June 2013, 17:12 »
You need wmi in your life, the best thing I ever done. The difference is nihgt and day   :drool:

2003 1.8T: R-tech Live Cutom Stage 2 remap: N249 Bypass : Forge T.I.P : Forge 007p  : Forge Actuator, yellow spring : Toyosports F.M.I.C : Toyosports C.A.I :                                                                   PCV simplified - oil catch can : 42' Draft 3" turbo back non res exhaust system : Devils own W.M.I : 231bhp & 258lbs-ft

Offline paultownsend

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 09 June 2013, 17:57 »
I'm not sure if its flat, or the power has been smoothed out.
With the OE airbox mine feels nice and torquey low down but that was just lost with the s2k cone.

I'm not sure what a velocity stack is and what it does. All I know is the s2k filter has one.

Looking at the pipercross panel filter, 50% of the surface area is covered up by the mesh. This can't be good?
I may get a OE paper filter, and I may be supprised at the findings!

Offline adam-

• Just got here
« Reply #13 on: 09 June 2013, 18:06 »
I don't even see what the issue is.  I had just trumpets on the carbs for over 15k and it was reeeeet! :p

Offline navmk4gti

• Forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 09 June 2013, 22:22 »
I will be putting on a pipercross foam cone filter heat shield and cold air feed from yhe lower grill.. hope dont get no loss of power after reading this :lipsrsealed:
theonestopLEDshop - upgrade LED lighting, car badges, wheel caps etc

Facebook/Instagram: @theonestopledshop

Drop me a message for more info and discounts!

Offline paultownsend

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 09 June 2013, 23:07 »
I'm not sure if heat had the same negative effects on a n/a engine?

I had a pipercross foam cone on my old mk2 golf 16v ABF and it it was never an issue. It screamed at 7k!
Had a cold feed direct from the removed fog light mind. And under bonnet temps were nowhere near as high as a 1.8t

Offline Dalo Harkin

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 10 June 2013, 13:13 »
I've seen and used a fair few different setups on my golf too:-

1 - standard airbox and paper filter (rubbish)
2 - Ebay CAI kit, gave better power but the filter was too close to the floor (most powerful by far, massively feel the difference but didn't fancy waterlock  :shocked:)
3 - Ebay Carbon enclosed filter with cold air feed to bumper (too restrictive)
4 - Filter on the MAF and an ebay type heat shield, with a cold air feed (not bad at all)
5 - BMC CDA - too restrictive
6 - back to standard box but with pipercross filter and DSG parts (too restrictive)
7 - S2000 filter is in the boot and just ordered the silicone coupler - results coming toward the end of the week  :grin:
« Last Edit: 14 June 2013, 11:30 by Dalo Harkin »
ARZ K03s, Oettinger Side Skirts, R32 front, Carbon stage 2, Forge 007p (yellow spring), Forge Actuator (yellow spring), Pipercross panel filter with DSG parts, N249 and N112 deleted, SAI deleted, Carbon canister deleted, Rear wiper deleted, Long Life turbo back custom exhaust with 200 cell sports cat, VR6/G60 clutch kit, Creation Motorsport TIP, Catch can, 'Wellycooler', K04 charge pipe, S3 ported inlet manifold - looks pretty standard on the outside though :)

Offline navmk4gti

• Forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 10 June 2013, 13:22 »

2 - Ebay CAI kit, gave better power but the filter was too close to the floor (most powerful by far, massively feel the difference but didn't fancy waterlock  :shocked:)
4 - Filter on the MAF and an ebay type heat shield, with a cold air feed (not bad at all)
5 - back to standard box but with pipercross filter and DSG parts (too restrictive)
6 - S2000 filter is in the boot and just ordered the silicone coupler - results coming toward the end of the week  :grin:

Ill be just skipping to number 4 :grin:

jamie16v

« Reply #18 on: 10 June 2013, 14:28 »

5 - back to standard box but with pipercross filter and DSG parts (too restrictive)
6 - S2000 filter is in the boot and just ordered the silicone coupler - results coming toward the end of the week  :grin:

Ill be just skipping to number 4 :grin:
option No.2 sounds fine to me, don`t see many puddles deep enough around here  :grin:

Offline navmk4gti

• Forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 10 June 2013, 14:44 »
Iv been through and seen fair share puddles mate that will defo soak up through a filter which is behind the front bumper  :lipsrsealed: