Author Topic: Seriously rotten mk2 gti!!  (Read 55823 times)

Offline Waspy

• I live here
Re: Seriously rotten mk2 gti!!
« Reply #40 on: 15 April 2015, 20:15 »
yeah thats it the rear beam! yep that i indeed a hole! i have no idea how that could of gone...

i wish i could be more positive but after all the money ive wasted on this i am just in a bad place tonight

It wasn't wasted, not yet anyway. The only way it was wasted is if you scrap it now. Keep ploughing on (If finances really do allow), don't look back, the end result will be well worth it.
It's a mk2. Fill it, drive it, enjoy it.  :smiley:

Offline lewis1641

• I live here
  • stuck in the 90's
« Reply #41 on: 16 April 2015, 10:54 »
rear beams are readily available, bang a replacement one in and jobs a good un. i doubt its been sat in a lake, it would stink.

looking from a more positive perspective, a professional who's job it is is to make sure your car is up to mot standard can only find a few things wrong with it.

chin up, and crack on!

Offline borax

• Not said much yet
« Reply #42 on: 16 April 2015, 12:06 »
Chin up, you are def. doing an heroic save with this one, but a lot of the big money stuff has been done i.e the welding.

New shocks are cheap, and easy to do yourself. Looks like you need a new rear beam, if you can do this yourself it will be cheap to do, can be an a88rse of a job though.

I would have a look underneath the car where the welding has been done 'cos in one of the pictures it looks like one of the new welds has not been painted/protected, you want to get to that soon otherwise you will be going around in circles.

Someone previously mentioned a hole in a wing. Your front drivers side wing has had a big hole drilled in it (induction kit?), not standard, but you might like it.

Offline Waspy

• I live here
« Reply #43 on: 16 April 2015, 12:15 »
And remember, dubbers love dubs. There are often people willing to lend a hand (like replacing the rear beam) if they are close by with a bit of free time. Just ask, squeaky wheel gets the oil and all that.
It's a mk2. Fill it, drive it, enjoy it.  :smiley:

Offline vw_golf_nutter

• Here all the time
« Reply #44 on: 16 April 2015, 15:16 »
thanks everyone for the positive messages :-)

she is back at the bodyshop today.. the guy is going over the bits he missed when he undersealed it. He is also going to put kurust on the chassis legs and then underseal again there. We are going to weld the rear beam for now, not ideal but it gets it MOT-able anyway, can always get on to getting a new rear beam during the summer.

Suspension wise I am on the lookout for a 40mm kit, going to try and do it myself one weekend, i may regret that though!

Got some issues with the fuel pump at the moment, might have to post up in the technical help section about that.

Lots of issues but im going to just try and chill, i was trying to get it done for this summer for the shows but looks like im just going to have to do it slowly and a bit at a time when i have the time/money now

Offline vw_golf_nutter

• Here all the time
« Reply #45 on: 16 April 2015, 15:20 »
look at whats come up on ebay today...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301595887346?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

doesnt look as nice as mine did, wonder whats under that bodykit!!!
At least it makes me feel better about paying £800 for mine

Offline vw_golf_nutter

• Here all the time
« Reply #46 on: 16 April 2015, 15:33 »
oh and the wing... where do i start LOL
its a hole, an intake, but no obvious reason why its there, im just leaving it coz its not bothering me at the moment

Offline borax

• Not said much yet
« Reply #47 on: 16 April 2015, 15:36 »
that one on e-bay is a bit of a shed, its been on before and not sold. I wonder if the Haynes manual is included in the sale?.

Slowly, slowy with your project. Get your hands dirty on it, the more jobs you do the less daunting future problems (and there will always be some) will be. Its a lot cheaper doing them yourself.

Saying that, i dont have a garage and some jobs i cant do. I'm not that gifted at mechanical stuff, but the internet and haynes manual are your friends!

Offline th3_f15t

• I live here
« Reply #48 on: 16 April 2015, 21:09 »
I eyed up that mk2 on eBay as I'm thinking of shifting my mk4 ASAP and doing a mk2 1.8T 20V project, but it looks a little too far gone for my liking. The only other red 3-door big bumper I've seen is a £2500 example!

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

Offline vw_golf_nutter

• Here all the time
« Reply #49 on: 16 April 2015, 21:49 »
well thats the thing. I mean 16v's do come up but a lot of them are quite high prices so even if i take this slowly and literally do everything on it, clutch, gearbox, suspension, paint, wheels...
at least it will be worth it in the end as its a sought after model