Author Topic: The 1.8T Air box/Induction thread  (Read 27829 times)

Offline adam-

• Just got here
Re: The 1.8T Air box/Induction thread
« Reply #30 on: 10 June 2013, 22:01 »
Does the ram effect actually work? 

I'm sure you have to be doing 180+ to even get a hint of "pressurisation".  And that's why we have a turbo anyway..

Offline pickles

• I live here
  • Next!!!
« Reply #31 on: 10 June 2013, 22:19 »
I assume this one...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/S3-A3-Air-intake-heat-shield-open-cone-shield-cupra-r-/130926075010?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1e7bcd5c82

Yup :afro:

Are you guys who are going to have a cold feed runing to the lower grill are you going to have it coming out the grill with a trumpet on it or just behind the grill.. im in two minds .. dont want it chavy :grin:

I'm just going to drill some holes in the lower bumper vent and have it tucked behind, I don't want it on show :wink:

what about these vents
weirdos on here i tell you ;)
mk4 golf 1.8T, AGU, CAI, Forge007p DV,TIP,Decat, Bilsteins with Koni springs dropped 40mm
Mapped

Nearly S3 time  :)

Offline paultownsend

• I live here
« Reply #32 on: 10 June 2013, 22:37 »

I'm sure you have to be doing 180+ to even get a hint of "pressurisation".  And that's why we have a turbo anyway..

Surely it's the same effect as air over a radiator? Or intercooler?

Offline navmk4gti

• Forum addict
« Reply #33 on: 11 June 2013, 00:17 »
My vent is open and so it as on my agu  :undecided:

Pickles i use to have them vents on my previous mk4 didnt like the look of them after a bit.  They would do the job for a cold air feed pipe tho hmmm
theonestopLEDshop - upgrade LED lighting, car badges, wheel caps etc

Facebook/Instagram: @theonestopledshop

Drop me a message for more info and discounts!

Offline adam-

• Just got here
« Reply #34 on: 11 June 2013, 08:36 »

Surely it's the same effect as air over a radiator? Or intercooler?

Yeah, it cools the air, but doesn't force it in..

Offline paultownsend

• I live here
« Reply #35 on: 11 June 2013, 14:34 »
what would be the reasonong for having a cold air feed as so many do and as discussed above from the lower valance?

it can only be proved by sticking a thermometer in the airbox and taking live logs. Pointless taking IAT's through VCDS for this as its already been through the blower.

its more fresh air that needed than cold air. Oxygen rich air for more of a bang!
I think its because the inlet is between the grille and bonnet and it almost forces air in.

« Last Edit: 11 June 2013, 14:52 by paultownsend »

Offline paultownsend

• I live here
« Reply #36 on: 11 June 2013, 14:57 »
im no expert here, but it cant do any more harm than having nothing bringing in clean air to the engine bay.

Gents with the S200 filters, get your pictures and results posted!

jamie16v

« Reply #37 on: 11 June 2013, 15:12 »

it can only be proved by sticking a thermometer in the airbox and taking live logs. Pointless taking IAT's through VCDS for this as its already been through the blower.

its more fresh air that needed than cold air. Oxygen rich air for more of a bang!

colder air in through the air filter ends up being colder at the inlet regardless of the turbo. yes the turbo does heat the air up due to compression, but if you put colder air into it, its not going to be as hot coming out of it.
its not more fresh air than clean either, its both. cold air holds more oxygen, clean air is better for the engine in the long run.

Offline paultownsend

• I live here
« Reply #38 on: 11 June 2013, 19:23 »
Today I learn something new!
As soon as granta posts up his FMIC in full most of this should become irrelevant  :rolleyes:

Offline davemk4

• I live here
« Reply #39 on: 12 June 2013, 19:46 »
fitted my s2000 filter today

it needed some ''adjustments'' here and there as it bloody huge and all i can say is it not induction noise i was expecting i was expecting more low tone noise...but noooooooooooo huge spool and just general air suction noise no wonder kids run away where driving this bad boy.

oh and yes ill be getting the correct blue proper reducer ready for weekend it in post now i just needed to get it on the car  :laugh:
2001 mk4 GTI 1.8t AUM. k&n induction kit with customer heat shield, 3'' TIP, Forge 007P, Stage 1 map, N249 bypass, 3'' downpipe and decat, 2.75'' Jetex cat back non res, Koni shockers and H&R springs 35mm, dimpled and grooved disks front and back