Author Topic: Electric gremlins, I really need some help!  (Read 845 times)

Offline Netgeezer

• Not said much yet
Electric gremlins, I really need some help!
« on: 28 February 2008, 11:05 »
This is very intermittent/random/doesn't happen all the time! Aaarrrgghhh.

One day my car decided it didn't want to lock with the fob. It unlocked fine, but wouldn't lock. The next day it was back to normal.

Sometimes the interior lights won't come on. Other times one door will trigger them, but not another. The puddle lights are the same.

When driving the car the lock button on the drivers side only locks the drivers side doors. Never the passenger side.

At the moment when I flash the headlights I get a high and sometimes low pitch buzz.

My climate control (climatronic) fan speed seems to vary sometimes, but works perfectly at others. A nuisance.

After a journey of half hour or more I can't start the car after stopping it. I have to wait for at least 10 minutes. This doesn't happen all the time either!

It does other random things that I can't think of right now...

These are all bananas and have me slightly frustrated!  I've been told to check the earth points and clean / grease them - where are these and do I need to take things apart lol?

I can see a couple of brown wires on the chassis slightly underneath my battery - is that it??

I've checked my fuses and they all seem ok - maybe I'm going nuts. 

Any ideas? I'm sadly not machanically minded but I do try to maintain my cars as nice examples (see other picture post, the sticky thread lol) and this is really getting me riled. Help lol please! It's not right for a grown man to beg!

"Delivery is for the weak..."

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
Re: Electric gremlins, I really need some help!
« Reply #1 on: 28 February 2008, 11:13 »
The locking thing sounds like the lock module on your passenger side could be faulty. You can try the old faithful 'attack it with half a can of WD40' method but most people eventually get a replacement from a scrapyard.

The main beam flasher thing.. mine did that for a while, but then mysteriously fixed itself?

The non-starting sounds like the impulse sender (sometimes referred to as the camshaft sensor or engine speed sensor). I recently paid 70 quid for one from vw and fitted it myself at oilchange time. If you can get it on a vagcom, or even call the AA out when it wont start.. it should show some kind of intermittent fault on the Engine Speed Sensor. 'Implausible signal' is the usual culprit.. just means the sensor is knackered. Or if its not that.. could be the temp. sender, costs about a tenner and 5 minutes to replace!

Cant help with the rest as i dont get along with electrics at all! :laugh:

Offline Netgeezer

• Not said much yet
Re: Electric gremlins, I really need some help!
« Reply #2 on: 28 February 2008, 13:15 »
Hi topher,

Yes, I'll get the ole WD out and go crazy lol Thanks for the info, I'll try and find out some more... Might be a trip to a breakers involved.
"Delivery is for the weak..."