Author Topic: 140pd remap by carbon now police siren  (Read 4371 times)

Offline nadlad

• I live here
  • Building Surveyor MRICS
140pd remap by carbon now police siren
« on: 23 November 2012, 23:49 »
Had my 140pd remapped by carbon coincidentally the police siren noise came two days after spoke to the carbon guy who mapped it and he claims it must of been worn from before! Well it didnt siren beforehand. apparently the boost is only incresed by0.2bar and therfore it has nothing to do with the map.

anyway how do i fix this what do i do? some same bearings some say stick with it as its normal, my only concern is post remap it was fine two days after its now whining and as if theres a copper behind me.

cheers

<<<Big Build Thread>>>

Offline Chris.

• I live here
Re: 140pd remap by carbon now police siren
« Reply #1 on: 24 November 2012, 11:39 »
0.2bar is about 3psi.

Get them to temporary put the stock map on and see if it whistles?

Could be a boost leak or the turbo is starting to die/has died.

Click For Build Thread

248bhp  278lbft R - Tech Powered 1.8T!!  - Gone but NOT forgotton

Offline nadlad

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 24 November 2012, 11:49 »
I asked that but they said it would make no difference at all.

they say the turbo is on its way, i was just unsure as to where to go and get a recon or new one from and whether that will fix it

<<<Big Build Thread>>>

Offline Chris.

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 24 November 2012, 12:30 »
VNT actuator moving alright?  Had a skoda PD diesel make some bird like sounds when VNT was a playing up.  Check for play in the shaft and oily boost pipes too.  Any smoke from exhaust?

Click For Build Thread

248bhp  278lbft R - Tech Powered 1.8T!!  - Gone but NOT forgotton

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #4 on: 24 November 2012, 12:41 »
140's are known for their weak turbos  :sad:

Had a customer with a 140 in an A3 which had done less than 50k and the turbo went a couple of weeks later. Fitted a new turbo and jobs a good one  :smiley:

On the flip side I had a guy with a 170 whose car made the siren noise after and that was 15k ago  :huh: :undecided:

How does the car drive? Is it smooth? Jerky? Any smoke? Loss of oil?
« Last Edit: 24 November 2012, 12:43 by Rhyso »

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
« Reply #5 on: 24 November 2012, 12:58 »
I haz siren noise on the barge - loud enough to make cars move over  :whistle:

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
« Reply #6 on: 24 November 2012, 15:48 »
i see 2 or 3 of these come through the workshop per week some are whistling some have already blown.  we tend to fit new genuine units i think it comes to something like £1200 with the oil filter and feed pipe. doesn't matter if they're standard or tuned you're lucky to see 80k from a pd140 turbo, or much less if its been abused. then again some make the whistling noise for ages like rhys says. The gamble is though that if you wait.. you could be hit for a bill for fishing out bits of turbo from your intercooler/pipework and exhaust, and possibly a new cat.
« Last Edit: 24 November 2012, 15:53 by topher »

Offline nadlad

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 24 November 2012, 18:46 »
Well i decided to get a hybrid as i have too much money ploughed intt the car for it to go kaput, so i dont want to play the waiting game, the new hybrid is in the process of being bought off a forum member its brand new from cr turbos and he wants 475 so i thought  YES!

next question is i want it tuned to around 200bhp that will do me  and the oem clutch fine but atleast it gives me the security of it not feckign up again, so i will have to see if carbon can do a bit of custom mapping as i want to retain my oem clutch and just get a new downpipe..... calling the doc

rys: the car drives superb no excess smoke good pull through the range no jerkyness in all fairness its a nice map!
but am just worried it going and with the mrs or mum driving it in they wud probably try and carry on driving till the engine is shagged so i thought ad go for a permamnt long term fixture, it also gives me the option of uprating the clutch when funds allow at a later date.
« Last Edit: 24 November 2012, 18:48 by nadlad »

<<<Big Build Thread>>>

Offline The Doc

• Forum addict
  • E63s Estate - Vito Sport
« Reply #8 on: 27 November 2012, 12:08 »
I hate wooing turbos  :sad:

Glad you like the map but sadly if there is a weak link it normally apears pretty quickly following a remap, I'd get it off and re manufactured asap to save further pain and expense  :wink:

Offline nadlad

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 27 November 2012, 20:04 »
yeah mate map is good am booked in with darkside to get the turbo bearings and internals removed and uprated or whatever they do plus side is there good guys know the vag tdi scene well and give guarantee on there turbo recons against further probs for 12 months

Am also gettign my downpipe decatted and getting a darkside egr delete, spoke to craig and he said he would meet me next saturday in huddersfield to map the egr light out after hours as it wasnt already done in the map...

so all is good. by the way the cupra u did is immense.

<<<Big Build Thread>>>