Author Topic: 1.8T naturally aspirated camshaft  (Read 2216 times)

Offline Chris.

• I live here
1.8T naturally aspirated camshaft
« on: 22 February 2012, 20:12 »
Has anyone actually stuck one of these in a turbo lump?  I ideally want to make a decision whether or not to look for a ANG inlet cam from the NA 1.8 mk4.

Specs differ like this:

The AGU inlet cam will start opening at 18° n.OT(not sure what the n. means) and the valve will open 7.67mm from its seat in the head for a duration of 190° of the camshaft.

The AGN inlet cam will start opening at 18° n.OT and the valve will be opened 8.41mm from its seat in the head for a duration of 202° of the camshaft.

Obvilously this is going to give a longer and greater opening of the inlet valves.

Does anyone have any idea how it will show up on a graph/rolling road or how timing is effected through the greater duration.

Theres far too many answers of you will get more low down torque and more power higher up the band.....not really the answer i need.

Chris

Click For Build Thread

248bhp  278lbft R - Tech Powered 1.8T!!  - Gone but NOT forgotton

Offline danny_p

• Forum addict
Re: 1.8T naturally aspirated camshaft
« Reply #1 on: 22 February 2012, 20:22 »
looked at doing this and dynoing it   got as far as dynoing the passat in std form and takeing the cams out of an na motor, then i was summoned to the pub so  thats as far as i got

you'd hope it'd breath better so make a bit more power for a given Manifold pressure.   think it would more noticable as the revs rise and the iccel turbo starts struggeling to make pressure at the CFM the engine wants 

all the VW's have gone bar 1.

Offline Chris.

• I live here
Re: 1.8T naturally aspirated camshaft
« Reply #2 on: 22 February 2012, 20:24 »
Yeah, Id do test, as its not the hardest thing to do, but access to a rolling road to try the theory is very hard!
Cam would only take 30mins to swap over if your competant in doing it.

Its just knowing how the engine uses the timing at certain points of the RPM range and how the longer duation/lift would help...if any.

Click For Build Thread

248bhp  278lbft R - Tech Powered 1.8T!!  - Gone but NOT forgotton