Author Topic: 1.8 non turbo  (Read 7165 times)

Offline mcgee9t2

• I live here
1.8 non turbo
« on: 11 October 2010, 16:29 »
Ok before anyone starts I know tuning a non turbo is pointless and your going to get the same gains as trying to turbo charge a loaf of bread.
But I was just wondering what sort of bhp you could get out of a non turbo 1.8 gti?
Doubt ide get it done unless I could get it over 150 bhp because I doubt ill be able to get insured on a 1.8t at 18

So yeah what bhp and torque ide be seeing if I could get it done and how much I'de be look at price wise. Cheers

Offline darcy

• GTI forum regular
Re: 1.8 non turbo
« Reply #1 on: 11 October 2010, 17:04 »
£300-350 for a custom re-map gain's 3-8bph little bit better MPG and smoother engine and maybe a few extra Flb's (with induction kit, exhaust ect) standard well.......no hope really plus the gains you may gat you would not feel when driving amyway.
to me not worth it but you car.
so just save the money  :laugh:

Offline mcgee9t2

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 11 October 2010, 19:19 »
yeah i thought that was going to be what ide be getting, just i remember looking on a website not so long ago and they said they can get 1.8 non turbos up to 150. which aint too bad and it had a pretty good torqu figure too. was just wondering if other companies would be able to do it, or if it was just a low quality map were they get the bhp figure as high as possible with out giving you a smooth decent remap (or just a load of bull)  :grin:

Offline tech1889

• Serious forum addict
  • Mk2 GTI FTW !!
« Reply #3 on: 16 October 2010, 19:36 »
r-tech will map it to around about 132 bhp.. but it will be a much better response and you are likely to notice it and the fuel consumption shall improve..
Mk4 Golf GTI anniversary and mk6 golf tdi :)

Offline kano

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 24 October 2010, 11:03 »
i got told by a mate last night there is a company near us that will remap a 1.8 non turbo and get you 20bhp for £100..... anyone think its possible?

Drive it like you stole it?!?!

When in doubt flat out?!?!

Offline mcgee9t2

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 25 October 2010, 11:00 »
Find out were this is. Ill see what people say about this place. If there's some retuable (sp?) Reveiws ill give it a shot and see how it goes. For 100 quid it aint bad. Although I feel they may have beefed the figures up and they go for highest power they can get and give you a not so good map

Offline kano

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 25 October 2010, 16:21 »
Ok mate I'll find out later I might even nip up there tomorrow see what they say.

Drive it like you stole it?!?!

When in doubt flat out?!?!

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #7 on: 25 October 2010, 19:10 »
A NA engine won't map anywhere near as good as a boost engine. What are the 1.8 NA engines from standard? 120hp? If so, you'll see a couple of ponies improvement, and some more torque, but not in huge amounts. You'll notice better throttle response and smoother curve though, so it will feel like it gave more than the actual horses added.

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #8 on: 25 October 2010, 23:28 »
i got told by a mate last night there is a company near us that will remap a 1.8 non turbo and get you 20bhp for £100..... anyone think its possible?

Nope, the most you will see is 4 or 5bhp.

Worth remembering VW had to fit a turbo to get a extra 25bhp.

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #9 on: 26 October 2010, 12:35 »

Worth remembering VW had to fit a turbo to get a extra 25bhp.

Which I think it's a crap effort as the ABF has 4 less valves and it's a NA engine yet they both produce the same power. Either the ABF is a great engine, or the 20vT is pure balls (when standard).