Author Topic: What detailing have you done today?  (Read 529344 times)

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: What detailing have you done today?
« Reply #120 on: 01 November 2015, 14:53 »
Disappointing effort today. I wanted to get one or preferably two coats of wax on but I left it a bit late. By the time I'd got home from work and had lunch it was about 3. I had to wash the wheels, then the car and dry it off so by then the sun was going in. Got the bonnet and one side waxed but it wasn't buffing off too well, perhaps because I wasn't giving it enough time to dry off? Also, the air was damp and the roof was starting to get damp. As I was buffing the was off it just wasn't coming up that glossy.

Any ideas anyone? Other than start earlier...

I was using Finish Kare 1000p.

Not used FinishKare but either you've left it on too long and it's hardened too much to buff off properly, or the paintwork was too damp to buff properly, or you've not left it on long enough, although with the latter it should be easy to buff off but won't give you the best results.  I've had it start raining half way through waxing the car and it is hard to buff off with wet paintwork and wet microfibres!  Best thing to do is apply another coat on top of any remaining unbuffed off wax and then buff it off when it is just starting to bite, i.e you run a finger through it and it just catches.  That should buff off the current and any left from the previous coat at the same time, but if it doesn't then you might need to remove the existing wax altogether with either a concentrated shampoo wash, or using something like Gtecniq Panel Wipe or DoDo Juice Lime Prime Lite (both non abrasive pre wax cleansers) and start again with the wax.

Oh, and start earlier next time.  :laugh:

Thanks for that, I think it was the combination of rushing it so it wasn't ready for buffing and the damp in the air. It was verry foggy this morning when I set off to work at 6.20! Having said all that, the waxed areas are looking pretty good today.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #121 on: 01 November 2015, 16:39 »
Looks great, as always Rebecca. Are you going to give the Amarok 'the works' or stop at claying it? It's a big beast!

I would like to give it the works and it needs it, but just not sure when I'm going to find time to do it. Weekends seem to be getting busier and busier, and can barely fit my own car in!  So it will get done, but in stages.  Noticed when I was claying it, it's got a massive scratch along the tailgate which will need polishing out.  Sometimes you wish you'd never started these things, lol.

More importantly, mine needs another coat of wax, or two.  The finish is not yet up to my standards and certainly not up to the finish that I achieved on the Mk6.  It's a work in progress.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #122 on: 01 November 2015, 17:33 »
Looks great, as always Rebecca. Are you going to give the Amarok 'the works' or stop at claying it? It's a big beast!

I would like to give it the works and it needs it, but just not sure when I'm going to find time to do it. Weekends seem to be getting busier and busier, and can barely fit my own car in!  So it will get done, but in stages.  Noticed when I was claying it, it's got a massive scratch along the tailgate which will need polishing out.  Sometimes you wish you'd never started these things, lol.

More importantly, mine needs another coat of wax, or two.  The finish is not yet up to my standards and certainly not up to the finish that I achieved on the Mk6.  It's a work in progress.

Your .:R looks great in the photos and I'm sure you'll get it up to your high standard soon. Not a great time of year for detailing unfortunately. Good luck with the Amarok; when you've finished, you need to make sure your other half gets rid of his car cleaning broom and changes his cleaning methods! :grin:
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #123 on: 01 November 2015, 19:18 »

Your .:R looks great in the photos and I'm sure you'll get it up to your high standard soon. Not a great time of year for detailing unfortunately. Good luck with the Amarok; when you've finished, you need to make sure your other half gets rid of his car cleaning broom and changes his cleaning methods! :grin:

OMG.  If he comes any where near it with the broom after I've spent hours nurturing the paintwork, I will kill him.  :laugh:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #124 on: 01 November 2015, 19:29 »
OMG.  If he comes any where near it with the broom after I've spent hours nurturing the paintwork, I will kill him.  :laugh:

:grin: :laugh: :grin: :laugh:
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline seabrook132

• I live here
« Reply #125 on: 05 November 2015, 17:25 »
Gave the interior a hoover out, put the winter mats in, leather cleaned with Gliptone leather cleaner and plastics cleaned with AF Total then dressed with Poorboys Natural Look. Bit more respectable in there now and ready for it's service tomorrow.

Poorboys Natural Look - Wow this stuff smells good!! Kinda like bubblegum, I love it!!

For those of you out there using Gliptone to clean your leather, do you have any application tips? Found the leather a bit tacky after using it, but a wipe with a damp microfibre sorted that out. Just wondering if you have any hints for best results?

2011 GTI DSG 5dr, Tornado Red, 18" Monza Shadows, Heated Leather, RNS-510, MDI, Bilstein B16 PSS10 Coilovers, Ohlins DCC Cancellation Kit, Audi TT-RS Front Top Mounts, Whiteline 24mm Rear ARB, Michelin Pilot Sport 4, 034 Motorsports Street Density Engine and Gearbox Mounts, Audi R8 Red Coil Packs, NGK BKR7EIX, Millers 5W-40 Nanodrive

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #126 on: 05 November 2015, 17:37 »
Gave the interior a hoover out, put the winter mats in, leather cleaned with Gliptone leather cleaner and plastics cleaned with AF Total then dressed with Poorboys Natural Look. Bit more respectable in there now and ready for it's service tomorrow.

Poorboys Natural Look - Wow this stuff smells good!! Kinda like bubblegum, I love it!!

For those of you out there using Gliptone to clean your leather, do you have any application tips? Found the leather a bit tacky after using it, but a wipe with a damp microfibre sorted that out. Just wondering if you have any hints for best results?

Poorboy's Natural Look is the BEST.  :cool:  My all time favourite interior dressing by a long way.

Re the Gliptone, exactly as you have done - damp microfibre stops the tackiness. I wipe the leather over with a damp cloth first then I apply it to a slightly damp MF and no tackiness at all.  Also don't be tempted to use too much. A little goes further than might appear. The Gliptone cleaner is very thick and at first it seems like you are using loads of the bottle and you think it's not going to go that far, but when you've finished you realise you've only used a bit.

Smells divine!
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline seabrook132

• I live here
« Reply #127 on: 05 November 2015, 17:46 »
Thanks Rebecca, cheers for the advice! Have you ever had to use a leather brush on yours? I'd imagine not with your pampering from new but my seats still have a slight shine to them. Maybe need a deeper cleaning after 66K miles!

« Last Edit: 05 November 2015, 18:18 by Booth11 »

2011 GTI DSG 5dr, Tornado Red, 18" Monza Shadows, Heated Leather, RNS-510, MDI, Bilstein B16 PSS10 Coilovers, Ohlins DCC Cancellation Kit, Audi TT-RS Front Top Mounts, Whiteline 24mm Rear ARB, Michelin Pilot Sport 4, 034 Motorsports Street Density Engine and Gearbox Mounts, Audi R8 Red Coil Packs, NGK BKR7EIX, Millers 5W-40 Nanodrive

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #128 on: 05 November 2015, 18:20 »
Thanks Rebecca, cheers for the advice! Have you ever had to use a leather brush on yours? I'd imagine not with your pampering from new but my seats still have a slight shine to them. Maybe need a deeper cleaning after 66K miles!

Sorry Dan I accidentally posted my reply into your post (have a moderator modify button that I hit by mistake!) put it back to normal now.

Anyway......I've got a leather brush but never used it, never needed to. As you say the leather on my Mk6 was cared for from new. so never really got shiny, except the drivers seat a bit.

The brush itself is a really hard brush and I would worry that it could actually do some damage to (certainly) new quite stiff leather.

However with older leather that has got shiny over time which is the norm, I think if I were you I would try the brush out to knock back some of the shine, just go careful.
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline seabrook132

• I live here
« Reply #129 on: 05 November 2015, 18:25 »
Ooo the responsibility that comes with being a mod!  :tongue:

Yeah I've had a gentle scrub with the leather brush I bought from Polished Bliss but I still think they could be better. Definitely better than they were but I want to get them as good as I can before applying the Gyeon Leather Coat I've bought.

I have a lot of respect for Larry Kosilla at Ammo NYC and watch his videos on a regular basis but his more aggressive leather cleaning techniques look just that, a bit aggressive! Still he is an experienced pro and maybe gentle use of a scrub pad is what I need!  :huh:
https://youtu.be/R0EOb2nEWtk
« Last Edit: 05 November 2015, 18:28 by seabrook132 »