Author Topic: Bizarre Test Drive Experiences  (Read 2947 times)

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
Re: Bizarre Test Drive Experiences
« Reply #10 on: 21 May 2021, 11:33 »
About the only "story" I have of a test drive funnily was just last year in-between the lockdowns. Was thinking at the time of swapping the GTI for a BMW M135i and managed to get a test drive of one at a local dealer. I asked for an extended drive but as the model at the time was so popular, he had a number of people interested in a drive so they could only give me an hour's test drive.

So off I set in though town to see what it was like in city traffic then up  dual carriageway to the motorway, as I was really wanted to see how it dealt with a 65-75mph standard motorway cruise. I'd only just joined the motorway then within about half a mile all the lanes came to a stop (bad accident ahead), and I was stuck there for 4 hours. I had to ring the sales guy and apologise but said there was nothing I could do (but it did give me a chance to check all the tech out). In the end, as the dealership would be closing, they had to extend the test drive and let me take it home for the night on the proviso that I brought it back 1st thing in the morning (which I did). So I sort of got my extended test drive after all  ;D
« Last Edit: 21 May 2021, 11:35 by Sootchucker »
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 25 May 2021, 15:18 »
@SRGTD-There’s no way you’d be allowed on your own at that age now. You’re not even allowed on your own in a performance Golf at any age now!  :laugh:

@Guzzle- A near miss on a test drive is never good!
Oh yes you are! Did just that 3 weeks ago. Bit surprised mind.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 25 May 2021, 15:25 »
Test drove a new bright yellow mg saloon with the sales manager in the front passenger seat and my wife in the back. Gave it some wellie on back roads and when we were nearly back the manager commented that his wife would not allow him to drive like that. My wife didn't say anything until we left the dealership and I can't quote her here! :grin:
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Online fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #13 on: 25 May 2021, 19:26 »
@SRGTD-There’s no way you’d be allowed on your own at that age now. You’re not even allowed on your own in a performance Golf at any age now!  :laugh:

You can do solo test drives sometimes...

Yes just wait until a global pandemic, then no sales guy wants to be shut in a car with you!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #14 on: 03 June 2021, 23:32 »
A few years ago tested a Mk2 Skoda Fabia vRS 1.4 tsi.
Drove the pants off it and the salesman asked if I was in the police. I asked why.
He said “they all drive like that”  :grin: :grin: :grin:
2019 5Dr Mk7.5 Performance DSG. Indium Grey with DCC (and TCR spoiler)

(Previously two Mk7 GTIs, Mk6 GTI and Mk6 GTD)