Author Topic: VERY smoky GTi 8v  (Read 4678 times)

Offline alanapone

• Just got here
Re: VERY smoky GTi 8v
« Reply #10 on: 28 January 2012, 12:55 »
Right took it for the short drive to the local garage... LOTS of white smoke and when we got there, there was lots of mayo coming out of the exhaust!!!

Head gasket is JUST on it's way out. The guy wanted £400 to do the head gasket, skim, cam belt kit and service. While I'm all for paying local business to do work that I can't be bothered / have the knowledge to do, there is no way we can afford it at the moment.

He suggested I try some block sealer that he had as a temp measure. So that's today's job, drain the water out, flush the block and rad them dump this stuff in and keep my fingers crossed :-/

He said some people get another couple of months with it, and other customers come back every 12 months to buy some more and just keep running it! Must be good stuff then :D

I'll update later as to whether it has worked.

Offline alanapone

• Just got here
Re: VERY smoky GTi 8v
« Reply #11 on: 29 January 2012, 14:07 »
NOPE!!!!!!

Left it running for an hour today... much longer than the guy at the garage said it would need. it's still smoking like hell and I noticed it has used nearly half a tank of fuel!!!!!

Sounds like it's running on three cylinders still and the no. 3 cylinder spark plug is wet and smell funny.

I'm just going to set fire to it I think. If it wants to smoke, I'll make it bloody smoke!