Author Topic: Abingdon 17th Oct  (Read 1619 times)

Offline Paul86S2

• I live here
Abingdon 17th Oct
« on: 20 October 2008, 13:46 »
Took the Golf to Abingdon last Friday for another trackday. It was a busy day with lots of fast cars M3's, Ariel Atoms, lots of Caterhams, Ferrari 430, Scoobies, some Turbo'd MX-5s, and a few Renaultsport Clios. We were a bit outclassed on straight line speed.
It was a good warm dry day and the Abingdon course has 3 fast tight chicanes which are good fun.
The Golf ran faultlessly all day and we managed to get out 9 times over the course of the day. No oil or water useage.
Got to use the Max sport track tyres for the first time, the grip with them is brilliant which meant faster cornering and later braking. The only downside was we had some rubbing with them because they are on 7.5 inch wide 16 inch wheels with a 30mm offset. I had no problem with the wheels before but they had road tyres on which were slightly curved in on the top edges. The Max sport ones are a squarer profile. They were rubbing under heavy braking and cornering and rubbed throuth the top and front edge of the arch liners and the top edge of the wheel arch trims.
I have now raised the front of the car slightly to stop this next time out, so hopefully it will be ok.
Despite being overtaken by almost everything on the straights it is a good feeling when you gain on them again in the braking area and through the corners.
Two more booked for this year on Monday 10th Nov at Colerne and Friday 5th Dec at Abingdon.

Paul